Author Topic: Cross a .36 and a .44 and get return postage  (Read 5306 times)

Offline Clay Allison

Cross a .36 and a .44 and get return postage
« on: April 29, 2015, 03:53:18 PM »
Just received the UBERTI 1861 .36 cal. Navy I ordered from Dixie. Really beautiful and functions perfectly. At full cock the cylinder is locked tight and will not move. The trigger pull is very light and smooth. Just ONE BIG PROBLEM! As I was wiping the oil off it, I saw the cylinder was .36 cal. as it should be. I took the barrel off and was wiping the oil off it when I looked at the makers stamp under the loading lever and saw '.44 cal.'. The serial number matches the box it came in and the box says .36 cal. I got a .36 ball and a .44 ball and checked to see what fit. The .36 ball fits the cylinder well but is too small for the barrel. The .44 ball is way too big for the cylinder but fits the barrel well. I also compared the barrel with another Uberti .36 I have and the difference is obvious. I called Dixie and they will email me something so I can send it back and they will ship me another. They were really concerned about this problem. It might have been interesting shooting it. Check your new stuff before you shoot it........................  {:(

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Cross a .36 and a .44 and get return postage
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 03:57:29 PM »
If Dixie's liability insurance carrier heard that story they would have a coronary and fall down dead. 
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 05:03:32 PM »
I've been hearing all kinds of nightmares about Uberti in the last year, and we used to never hear anything bad. They've even stopped setting up new dealerships due to "production issues." 
It seems like everything was better for them before they retooled their plant.

We had a customer call two weeks ago to find out how to return a conversion cylinder that he hadn't even received yet. He bought a Cattleman Carbine and a stainless Uberti 1858 - both from an extremely reputable dealer. The Carbine cylinder wouldn't rotate, and while testing the action on the stainless gun he said the hand "wallered out" a chunk of the frame.

He sent both back for a refund.

I hope Uberti gets their problems worked out because for years they were practically a benchmark of quality for well under the price of a Pedersolli or Hege.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 05:45:01 PM »
Better a 36 cylinder and a 44 barrel than the other way around, I'm a thinkin'.  So I guess someone stuck a '60 Army barrel on the Navy frame.

I didn't know they would interchange like that.  Seems to me it would be a good idea to specifically make them so they wouldn't-- Alter the pin spacing at the bottom of the frame by twenty thousandths or something, so neither barrel would fit the wrong frame.  You still might could put a navy cylinder in an Army frame with an Army barrel, but that would be the only cross-caliber mistake you could make between the two and it wouldn't be dangerous.

Fascinating stuff.  Wow.  Learn something new every day.

So now; Does a 44 Remington Army cylinder fit in a repro "Navy" Remington frame?  That would be bad.  The originals used different sized frames, but apparently the repro Remington "Navys" use the Army sized frame, so...

Offline Clay Allison

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 07:46:16 PM »
Some people on another forum have given me the idea that since the serial numbers on the barrel and the frame match, maybe I have a really unique collectors item and I should keep it. What do you all think. I have it all boxed up, addressed, and ready to send back. Should I reconsider?

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 08:12:26 PM »
No. What the hell can ya do with it?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Clay Allison

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 08:26:06 PM »
Decisions, decisions. (^h

I can send it back and let them send me one I can shoot if I want to.

-or-

I can keep it, see if it will develop any value as a curiousity, and just buy another one I can shoot.

-or-

I can keep it and not buy another one. I have 18 other bp pistols I can shoot.

Offline Electric Miner

• Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 08:36:13 PM »
My opinion? It's an Italian reproduction. It's value is as a shooter, not as a collectible. Further it's a defective shooter. The chances that anyone is going to pay a premium for a reproduction gun that can't be fired is slim.
Navy Veteran
American Legion Member
NRA member

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 12:57:24 AM »
No. What the hell can ya do with it?

My opinion? It's an Italian reproduction. It's value is as a shooter, not as a collectible. Further it's a defective shooter. The chances that anyone is going to pay a premium for a reproduction gun that can't be fired is slim.

There's really nothing more to tell you. Sorry you have a peace of junk Clay.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Clay Allison

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 10:39:15 AM »
Well, the decision was made for me this morning. My 'soon to be replaced insignificent other' decided to get up and go to work. When she left, she took the mail AND THE BOX WITH PISTOL with her. The mail went to the Post Office and the pistol went to the UPS center. So now I just wait and see what Dixie sends me this time. If anybody orders one of these pistols, look for serial number D11037. If you get it, check it over really good.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 10:52:34 AM »
Trust me, Clay...she did you a favor.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 01:07:02 PM »
Hi Lee, every one of the new Uberti revolvers I purchased over the last couple of years required a good bit of work to get them properly regulated. IMO Uberti's QC has gone to hell. Most of all the new Piettas purchased in the same time period have been excellent right out of the box. All the Piettas purchased were on sale revolvers.

Having said that, I would have kept the .36 that was stamped .44 just as a collector item.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 01:45:38 PM »
Hi Lee, every one of the new Uberti revolvers I purchased over the last couple of years required a good bit of work to get them properly regulated. IMO Uberti's QC has gone to hell. Most of all the new Piettas purchased in the same time period have been excellent right out of the box. All the Piettas purchased were on sale revolvers.

Having said that, I would have kept the .36 that was stamped .44 just as a collector item.

Regards,
Richard

If I had it and the money, I'd be tempted to convert it to .38 and put a match-grade barrel liner in it

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 09:28:08 PM »

Regards,
Richard

Hate to say it, but I agree with Richard. The last 3 Piettas I bought new have been outstanding fit & finish....with better bluing than Uberti is currently using as well.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 02:07:02 AM »
I been lucky with the Piettas I've gotten over the years. All but one came from Cabela's and all but two were on sale. If it hadden been for the LGS may have never gotton but one Uberti that would have been the Walker. These Ubertis at the GS Are a little older and all but one is fine made bp. handguns plus you can go in and handle them before you buy. That makes a big difference than ordering them. Was hopping to buy a second Walker or Dragoon from him before he sales them all. Told me he wouldn't be getting anymore after these are gone. May haft to take a leap at DGWs for a second model Dragoon for long. (^h (5&
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.