Author Topic: My new/old gun!  (Read 4362 times)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
My new/old gun!
« on: April 28, 2015, 08:03:56 PM »
Now I get to play with an original '58 Remmie! Won it on GunBroker last night. I called the seller today and he said the other one he had listed (sold for only $200.00 less than mine) was pretty much a wall hanger. I didn't tell him how we were a "family" of Remmie restorers here! Anyway, he said the one I got was actually pretty decent and he had hoped to get much more for it. I won't have any pictures for a week or two, so here are the auction photos:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=479584495

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Re: My new/old gun!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 08:12:47 PM »
Pretty sweet Mazo.   I looked at an original Navy model over the weekend.  Wish I could of bought it.   $850 was a little steep for me.
Hope to see lots of pics and posts as you put into tip top shooting condition.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 03:36:32 PM »
Way to go Mazo!  {?|
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Electric Miner

• Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 03:38:21 PM »
Good deal!
Navy Veteran
American Legion Member
NRA member

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 04:29:01 PM »
Congratulations Mazo,
            I thought the pictures had been taken off when I went to view it, but I persevered, and scrolled down to the bottom, and there she was!  She looks in pretty good shape! I bet you'll be running to the window, every time a, "heavier than a car,"
sound, comes up your driveway!
            The gun seems to have most of it's original finish. So many of the originals seem to have lost most of their blueing, but
your new/old toy, seems to be in very good shape, externally!  Do you intend to shoot it, if it seems good, and reasonably "tight?"  I guess a fairly gentle 25 to 28 grains would do well in an Original?  I know I'd never put my PDL in an old gun. If the barrel is in good shape, it might make a good Target gun? 
            Well once more, congratuatons on getting such a nice Original, at a reasonable Price! Look forward to hearing more about her, when you've had time to fondle and play with her!
                                                                                     Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 05:29:34 PM »
Yes, I had followed several original '58s for a while and most went for twice what I paid. Johnnie, I don't see how shooting some "normal" loads would harm either the gun or it's value. After checking it over, for function and safety, I do intend to shoot it! I take care of my guns and some, even after years of use, still look near-new. I will post some pictures when I get the gun, but probably won't have it for 8-10 days or so. Can anyone date it for me? Serial number 84104. Thanks!

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 08:30:15 PM »
Nice score, Mazo! I'm actually a bit jealous, what with my fine collection of Italian imports!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 11:38:25 PM »
mazo happy for you. Their asking $1750.00 for one at one of our LGSs so you may have got a good deal after all. (T^
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Soiltec53

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 12:17:01 PM »
Excellent pistol. you have there Mazo. _l

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 12:45:23 PM »
dang I live just over the mountain from him, didn't know one was there for sale.
Don't watch the auctions often enough.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 02:34:50 PM »
DD4 (and others), the guy said he will be posting several older guns soon. He is buying a condo and wants some cash. I know I will be watching for his auctions.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 03:01:23 PM »
Congrats Mazo, and welcome to the Original Freaks Club.
Enjoy. Shoot it. My humble suggestion is you start off with 15 grains.

Offline RCampb6131

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 03:25:36 PM »
Hi Mazo,

Here is a picture of my original.  It is serial number 13362, made in 1862.  It is tight enough that it could be shot, but don't know if I should!

RCAMPB6131

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 03:35:11 PM »
@ RCampb6131,

nice! Of course you should shoot it. They were made for shooting. They will probably feel forsaken if not shot.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 07:19:47 PM »
Hi Mazo,

Here is a picture of my original.  It is serial number 13362, made in 1862.  It is tight enough that it could be shot, but don't know if I should!

RCAMPB6131

I know it's easy for someone who doesn't have an original Remington to tell someone who does to shoot it but..... I can't imagine owning that nice piece of history without firing it once in a while.   
Since I don't own one you should not listen to me but Len is experienced with originals and his advice is something to consider.