Photobucket

Author Topic: Remington .31 Pocket 1858  (Read 11472 times)

Offline Hewy

• Black Friday
Remington .31 Pocket 1858
« on: April 24, 2015, 07:19:55 PM »
I want to know what the history of the small pocket in .31 cal
Was it it real ?
Were any replicas made ? Pietta or Uberti etc ?
Hewy
Better to be gettin , than gettin got.
I FLY BOTH NORTH AND SOUTH BATTLE FLAGS, TO HONOR ALL THOSE THAT FOUGHT.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Remington .31 Pocket 1858
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 10:38:12 PM »
Yes, very real. Historic.  In brass and then steel. Pietta makes them both. Great on gophers.
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Kid Vermin

Collecting about any color cap and ball revolver as long as it has a top strap and 8", 6 1/2", 5 1/2" or 4" barrel.

Offline Hewy

• Black Friday
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 07:52:26 PM »
Thanks for the info gents, I must admit I was lazy all I had to do
was search here and other web sites (&N
At least the subject came up again !  M__
Hewy
Better to be gettin , than gettin got.
I FLY BOTH NORTH AND SOUTH BATTLE FLAGS, TO HONOR ALL THOSE THAT FOUGHT.

Offline Kid Vermin

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 09:13:50 PM »
Your question helped me too.  Thought the .36 Sheriff was the smallest '58'.
Collecting about any color cap and ball revolver as long as it has a top strap and 8", 6 1/2", 5 1/2" or 4" barrel.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 10:43:01 PM »
Your question helped me too.  Thought the .36 Sheriff was the smallest '58'.
It is.
The .31 is a '63. Just sayin'...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 10:49:40 AM »
We have them in stock on our site if you need one.

Offline CrazyOldHermit

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 12:48:39 PM »
At a gun show earlier this year, I had a chance to buy an old CVA brass framed .31 Remington - still had the box, and even a few round balls for it - for $125. I checked it out best I could (pulled the cylinder, checked the bore, action, lock-up, etc) and in decided contrast to the other Remmie brasser the guy was selling (an old "Buffalo" model that had seen better days), it looked to be in good shape. And, that was a VERY good price for a used 1863.

But, as always, I was on a tight budget, and elected to spend the money on a Need rather than a Want - namely .41 Magnum ammunition loaded by a guy whose ammunition I had used in the past. He makes a nice 210 grain JSP that lets me practice with my Blackhawk without costing me over a dollar per shot (I carry it with 210 grain JHP, and that's what the sights are adjusted for), and he had finally gotten more brass in to do a run. I wasn't greedy - didn't buy ALL that he had available, but I bought a lot of it.

But, even though that lets me shoot the big Ruger more often just for the FUN of it, I'll confess to wishing I could have afforded the ammunition AND that little Remmie. If you'll excuse me sounding like a schoolgirl, it was just so darn CUTE. (And literally pocket sized - I tried it in the jacket I was wearing.)

As far as being "practical", well, it meets the First Rule of a gunfight (Bring a GUN) and that's about it. But, then, for "practical" purposes, pretty much any cap and ball revolver I've ever shot or even seen pictures of is a "mouse fart" gun relative to my Blackhawk. (To forestall debate - my practice ammo has a muzzle velocity of 1300 FPS, the carry loads are 1425 - if I've done the math right, that's about 780 and 940 ft lbs of muzzle energy, respectively, with a 210 grain bullet. The best published results I've seen for a Walker, or a .44 Remmie stuffed to the gills are about 470-485 ft lbs.)

Long story short - the 1863 is a nice looking little gun that should be a lot of fun to play with. If I ever run across another deal like the one earlier this year, assuming I have the funds, I'll jump all over it. I wouldn't care to bet my life on it, but, I already HAVE a revolver I'd bet my life on. Sometimes, just having something unusual to go out, and make a little smoke with, and punch some little holes in a target, is worth the expense in terms of grins retured per shot.
A blackpowder revolver forum may be the only place on the Internet where a guy can discuss shaving tight balls and wrenching on his nipples without any snickering from other users.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 02:05:59 PM »
I'm watching for a nice one in steel. While the brass ones are sure shiny and not likely to be over-charged with cylinder capacity like other brassers, I love the look of the blued-steel ones. Just not the retail price.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline RCampb6131

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 09:33:50 PM »
Here is my Armi San Marco.

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 09:11:43 AM »
I'm watching for a nice one in steel. While the brass ones are sure shiny and not likely to be over-charged with cylinder capacity like other brassers, I love the look of the blued-steel ones. Just not the retail price.

What price range are you looking at for a steel frame?

Offline Electric Miner

• Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 09:14:55 AM »
If I was buying one, it'd have to be in steel.
Navy Veteran
American Legion Member
NRA member

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 09:40:27 AM »
All we even carry is the steel frame. I think we're about the only ones that do carry them.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 09:57:29 AM »
Darn it Guys! Now you are making me want one of these.  .))
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline rodwha

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 10:16:32 AM »
Mike Beliveau's testing of the Ruger Old Army with Triple 7 and a 255 grn Kaido bullet (modified Lee .45 Colt bullet) got 920 fps for 479 ft/lbs using 25 grns of 3F powder which he gave ~15% powder reduction and minimal compression thinking these were safety issues (they aren't).

That load would likely fit as a max charge in a Remington '58, but it does show that these are capable of more power than many realize, and if it can do that in a shorter cylinder it can do much more in a Dragoon or Walker, or the deeper ClassicBallistix cylinders for the ROA.

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day