Photobucket

Author Topic: Varing main spring strength ?  (Read 873 times)

Offline Hewy

• Black Friday
Varing main spring strength ?
« on: April 23, 2015, 08:14:59 PM »
Out of my three 1858 Remingtons , one takes more effort to fully cock the hammer.
That effort for my small hand prompted me to take the springs out and switch
them around ,thinking it might be some interference in the trigger set mechanism.
I found quickly that one spring is much stiffer, or stronger  than the other two, when reassembling each.
Sure enough that is the one more difficult to cock the hammer.

None of my guns have been shot more than the other, except the new  8" has a noticeably lighter hammer set,
that prompted the comparisons.
How do I find a replacement spring or otherwise fix it ?
Any ideas ?
Hewy
Better to be gettin , than gettin got.

Offline Boondock

• NH - The South of the North
Re: Varing main spring strength ?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 09:02:46 PM »
You can vary the tension on the spring by adjusting the screw on the frame where your ring finger would sit when gripping the pistol. 

In addition, on the more difficult revolver, you might want to take a close look at the half and full cock notches of the hammer, to make sure there aren't any excessive burrs that might be interfering with things.  I have also seen a couple revolvers with rough milling inside the frame - the channel that the hand spring rides in, particularly.  A jeweler's file can address this quickly, and a bit of cold blue applied to cover up your work.  If you're nervous to do the work, post up some decent photos and the folks here can tell you how to address any issues found.

I'm sure others may be able to provide methods of lightening your stock spring, or locating a suitable replacement if futzing with the screw doesn't provide the effect you're looking for.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 09:08:24 PM by Boondock »
Audentes Fortuna Juviat

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 09:34:54 PM by G Dog »
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 09:35:39 PM »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hewy

• Black Friday
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 10:22:56 PM »
Good to know Wolff carries a main spring.
I had thought of cutting a narrow slit ,as suggested,
however wouldn't that relax the spring tension ? (^h
Hewy
Better to be gettin , than gettin got.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 12:31:47 PM »
You can also order Lee's Gunsmithing Spring kit (http://leesgunsmithing.com/) - (it's the saa clone kit).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 09:01:39 PM by old fogey »

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 01:03:06 PM »
You can vary the tension on the spring by adjusting the screw on the frame where your ring finger would sit when gripping the pistol. 

Not on all of them.
Both my ASP Remmies have the screw installed at a point where all it does is secure it in the mounting slot.
On most Piettas the screw does indeed affect tension.
I have (in an emergency situation) adjusted spring tension by clamping the spring in a vise (using padded jaws) and CAREFULLY either adding or removing tension by hand straightening or bending. I've found many 'spring' problems can trace back to either a frozen hammer roller or a sharp edge the roller needs to ramp over to get started from hammer-down position (watch carefully as you cock it with the grips off) Blending the sharp edge and polishing the first inch of the spring (the roller bearing surface) usually works wonders.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"