Author Topic: Tell me; what is the dirtiest, nastiest, foulingest powder?!  (Read 17404 times)

Offline rodwha

Re: Tell me; what is the dirtiest, nastiest, foulingest powder?!
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 08:04:12 PM »
"if you hate cleaning a gun THAT MUCH, why you all don't take up Needlepoint instead???"

Except no one was complaining about cleaning their gun(s). I enjoy cleaning my pistols. I don't mind the fouling I get from either Olde E or T7, but cannot stand the sticky fouling Pyrodex has left behind. And then the velocity that Pyrodex is dismal in comparison to either of the powders I use.

My father gave me two bottles of P and one bottle of RS with my Ruger. These were given to him, and he didn't care for them either. So I certainly have first hand experience with them and am not parroting anything.

The velocities shown with your loads were fairly good, but still about 100 fps slower than T7, Swiss, and Olde E. However they were better than loose Pyrodex.

Mr Beliveau got a velocity of 1062 fps with a .457" ball using just 33 grns of 3F T7:

That's an additional 100 fps with 7 grns less powder.

The fouling left behind by Olde E is not hard when properly lubed, and as has been said it may have to do with the lube you did or did not use. I used the same lube when I used Pyrodex and didn't like what it left behind, but then it's likely it's not the same as your pellets, and that may be why you aren't complaining about the residue like everyone else.

As I showed Pyrodex pellets are not reasonably priced compared to the other powders. It's not even close, and to come up with the same number of shots as a can of loose powder you could have paid the HazMat and still had leftover $. This you cannot deny, and for someone who continually brings up the lack of funds you'd think you'd at least give it some consideration as it would do nothing but save you money that can be spent on caps or some such. But that's on you...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 08:15:13 PM by rodwha »
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 08:38:26 PM »
rodwha is correct.  I don't see anyone here complaining.  Cleaning is just part of the deal.  I am interested in Omnivore's challenge purely for the information.   Most of the time I just want to shoot my revolvers,  as many times as I care to load them up.   If that means I can use any propellant I have and can continue uninterrupted, then I support anyone who is willing to do the research and provide the information.   I know I just want to shoot and enjoy it and I can only benefit from the results of Omnivore's testing no matter what the result.

Offline rodwha

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 06:40:02 AM »
The velocity I gave was for a 7.5" pistol which wouldn't be a fair comparison. The 5.5" model he used with the same load produced 1011 fps and 327 ft/lbs. I wonder what it would have shown with the same powder charge (40 grns)?
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 10:49:19 AM »
One of our regulars makes home-brew powder out of stump remover. It's pretty nasty.

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 10:54:04 AM »
I must be doing something wrong, I can shoot a hundred rounds using Pyrodex without having to stop and clean the gun.  By the end of that the chambers are getting a bit dirty but nothing that would stop me from shooting another round.

What I found horrible was using cigarette paper wrapped powder.  After the first 6 shots I had to take the cylinder off and clean it, I had clogged nipples and paper remains in all the cylinders.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member

Offline Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Official Mad Dog Nose Tweaker.
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 10:57:16 AM »
One of our regulars makes home-brew powder out of stump remover. It's pretty nasty.

Depending on the brand stump remover is pure saltpeter.
“The path of the warrior is difficult! We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves! Honour in serving! Honour in defending! Honour in dying for a just cause!”

"A knight is sworn to valor; His heart knows only virtue; His blade defends the helpless; His might upholds the weak; His word speaks only truth,
and his wrath undoes the wicked."

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 12:56:08 PM »
Jdurand, hi bud.  Hey, what kind of cig papers?  I’ve used some that were really nasty for leaving residue.  Midnight Special is the absolute worst.  I use American Spirit brand when I roll my own charges, made of flax.  They burn up and away pretty well.

I have had quite good performance and clean up luck with Pyrodex P.  Much better than some of the boys here have had.  Not married to it though.  I’d like to try all blacks and subs, it’s good fun to experiment  around and ya learn useful stuff too.  Swiss is really good, probably the best black I have gotten to use.  Lots of interesting powder out there. So much powder...so little time. I like powder.
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline frontloader

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 02:47:36 PM »
.............mine aint, with more energy than Goex....Spectracide stump remover. almost pure KNO3 , and a dust. whats not to like.,,,let me say. you might be rite. it is nasty
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 02:59:56 PM by frontloader »

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2015, 07:45:36 PM »
It was some pack of papers from Hong Kong.  I don't read Chinese so couldn't tell you the brand.  As I don't smoke I didn't know there were significant differences between papers.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member

Offline rodwha

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2015, 08:54:03 PM »
I've not had issues when using Pyrodex, but didn't like how the foulin was sticky. I've also seen how it is much more corossive than BP, though if you clean your gun soon enough this isn't an issue.

I've also used American Spirit papers and not had much paper left, but did notice very small leftovers in a few chambers. I eventually tried leaving them to see if they caused issues and after 3 cylinders they did not. I didn't try any more though.

Offline Omnivore

• Forum Legend
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 05:21:29 PM »
The only time I had paper clog a nipple was when I was twisting the back end of the cartridge to close it.  Most of the time even that method worked OK.

Using the single layer, end cap method of construction as seen on capandball channel on Youtube. I've fired up to 100 rounds in one session with no trouble, though there was a fair amount of paper bits I noticed in the chambers during cleaning afterwards.  In other words; clogging is a total non-issue.  I no longer use cigarette paper either, but curling papers, or "end wraps" sometimes also known as "perm papers".  They're larger and so they can be cut to any size or shape for a 44 with plenty to spare, they're thin and reasonably strong too.  One layer thick at the back is never going to clog anything.  Ignore any little ethereal bits in the chambers and move on as if they weren't there.

Millions of paper cartridges were used in the 1860s and the War Department kept right on ordering them.  They were still being sold commercially up to the end of the nineteenth century.  If you use the right design and materials it's a pretty good and handy system, so if you're having problems, change your methods until you aren't.

Offline Omnivore

• Forum Legend
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 03:20:20 PM »
I HOPE to get out sometime this weekend to fire off 100 shots using Goex 3F.  Being springtime and all, I have a lot of other things going on (garden and lawn, plus some repairs around the place and all) so we'll have to see how it goes.  I found out last night that I don't have 100 bullets (more like 50), so now I must either cast some more, or use a combination of round balls and bullets to add up to 100 shots.  I'm leaning toward more casting...

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 03:49:52 PM »
Dear Omnivore,
sometimes a man's got to make a choice as to whether he's going to mow the lawn or if he is going to do some serious BP shooting.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2015, 08:54:16 PM »

IMNSHO:

For BP subs, hands down, anything with the words Pyrodex on the label.

For real blackpowder, Elephant was dirtier, nastier, and smellier than any contemporary powder.

As far as cleanest BP goes, the old Lidu and Dragon powders were cleaner than current Swiss.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 09:16:45 PM »
Fingers, are Lidu and Dragon still around?  I'm unfamiliar with them.  Cleaner burning than Swiss would be dang clean.
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.