Author Topic: Powder Experiment  (Read 37522 times)

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Powder Experiment
« Reply #150 on: May 24, 2015, 07:04:20 PM »
 Funny thing about removing nipples, the nipple wrench I use on my blue Pietta 36 won't fit down in my new nickel Piettta 44. I wouldn't have thought the nickel plating would be that thick, but it is. Gotta find a Skinnier wrench.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2015, 07:12:58 PM »
You ought to get into casting if you are not. You can have any number of .36 cal projectiles. I'm assuming you do not though.

Decades ago I introduced my friend and neighbor to pistol shooting and reloading. We ended up with a good sized outbuilding full of reloading and casting equipment. He really got into casting and I was'nt really into it then much. I helped him size and lube sometimes. I ended up in the Army and he moved.

Offline rodwha

« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2015, 10:32:01 AM »
The cost of cast bullets with a larger meplat for hunting is what drove me to buy casting equipment. $40/100 + shipping was quite pricey and then it went up to $50. I just couldn't pay that, and so I wanted to buy his mold, which was reasonable at $85. But Lee, who produces them, kept putting him off months at a time so I went to Accurate Molds and created my own designs.

Well worth it as I'll never need to be concerned with availability or outrageous prices again when you figure a pound of lead can be had for $1 (if not free) or as much as about $3 and creates about 35 bullets that weigh 195 grns.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #153 on: August 06, 2015, 11:40:56 AM »
Hi, I am setting up to do an experiment to evaluate different cap and ball powders.

I have my different C&B powders contained in the Traditions brass powder flask where each has a 30gr (by volume) spout. The weights thrown for different powders using the 30gr spout of the flask:

Black MZ - 23.3gr
Graf Black Powder 3F - 28.2gr
Swiss Black Powder 3F - 24.4gr
Triple 7 3F - 19.2gr
Pyrodex P - 18.2gr

Regards,
Richard

I can think of 1 thing that may have skewed your results slightly. The 30 gr spouts. I have 3 of them, from Davide Pedersoli. They are very roughly machined inside and very inconsistent in the charge thrown. They will vary as much as a 1/2 grain in the charge thrown and as much as 2 grs between spouts. Polishing and adjusting them is on my to do list. You may have already thought of this and compensated for it, or maybe your spouts are more consistent. Just thought I'd mention it since mine are so crappy. Been throwing some charges slightly under with them and bringing them up with a powder trickler on my electronic scale for my new Kombilader and Trommelladers.

Online ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #154 on: August 06, 2015, 01:46:58 PM »
Hi M9, Ia assumed that all the Traditions powder flask spouts were the same. They are all very well made and appeared to the eye to be the same. Note that the Graf BP volume is close to 30gr weight, but those Traditions spouts are notoriously conservative. Since I also provided actual weight data, the results still have utility IMO.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #155 on: August 06, 2015, 01:53:31 PM »
Check the inside of the spout, if they are like mine, they have not been polished on the inside, just the outside. Powder tends to hang on the rough machining. Ohh, I think your results are definitely meaningful and my hats off to you for it. I'm just wondering about the poor showing T7 gave.

Online ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #156 on: August 06, 2015, 02:00:36 PM »
Hi M9, each of the Traditions flasks and spout I own are very well machined and polished, inside and out. I would have noticed a rough spout interior. As I said, (check out the Midway reviews) the Traditions spouts are notorious for being conservative, throwing light. Maybe it's a liability issue, like Lee dippers?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Online ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #157 on: August 06, 2015, 02:07:56 PM »
Hi M9, something you may want to check out is this thread:

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=6530.0

You can see that in an 8" revolver, bullet energy is almost linearly proportional to the powder charge. I suspect that all propellents will behave the same way, get one energy data point and powder weight and you can calculate the velocity for all other loading weights. One just needs to use a little math.

Regards,
Richard

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #158 on: August 06, 2015, 02:30:36 PM »
 Great, I'll buy traditions in the future then. All mine from Cabelas are rough inside. You should talk to mysterynico the powder dispensers he sent me would be great for any future powder testing you might do.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #159 on: August 07, 2015, 09:39:53 AM »
 I think these powder dispensers would be a great candidate for your modified cigar box container idea also.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #160 on: August 07, 2015, 11:38:21 AM »
Hi M9, something you may want to check out is this thread:

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=6530.0

You can see that in an 8" revolver, bullet energy is almost linearly proportional to the powder charge. I suspect that all propellents will behave the same way, get one energy data point and powder weight and you can calculate the velocity for all other loading weights. One just needs to use a little math.

Regards,
Richard

Oh I read it when u posted it, just reread it again. Great job.  ])M  :) hats off too you again. I just wish Swiss was available in my area. When I completely retire in a couple of years I may start a hobby business working the gun shows selling black powder revolvers and supplies. No one in my area does this.

Online ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #161 on: August 07, 2015, 02:06:37 PM »
Hi M9, thank you for your kind comments. Retirement is the ideal state for mankind. I love mine and hope yours is as fulfilling.

Regards,
Richard

Online ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2015, 01:24:48 PM »
Hi, Americian Pioneer is the maker of Black Mz powder. Not long ago I was reading the faq of American Pioneer, see:
http://www.americanpioneerpowder.com/faq.html

One of the questions was about using lube. American Pioneer recommends not using any lube. They say that the burned powder produces moisture that provides all the bore lube required. Back when I was doing the powder testing I fired a number of cylinders using no lube and found accuracy excellent and no fouling. There were no crossfires.

The next time I reload my extra cylinders with Black Mz I will load the balls with no lube at all.

Something to consider since I had been using lubed wads with a lube barrier wad.

Regards,
Richard

Offline snake-eyes

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Erin Go Bragh
« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2015, 02:10:44 PM »
Retirement is the ideal state for mankind. I love mine and hope yours is as fulfilling.
Richard,
           Of course we all have different opinions on retirement. Personally I would like
to be working. But that's just me. :9)
snake-eyes  )&&
Member: NRA
Member: Columbus Muzzleloading Gun Club
Co-Founder and charter member: Traditional M/L Ass.
www.TraditionalMuzzleloadingassociation.com
If you come to a fork in the road,take it! Yogi Berra

Ever wonder who God roots for in a religious war??

Online ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #164 on: June 03, 2017, 07:10:08 AM »
Hi, on another message board there is a discussion of possibly using 50gr Triple 7 pellets in a Walker. For information purposes I re-post some info here:

I received the Triple 7 50gr pellets yesterday. The packaging is very nice with compartments for the T7 pellets, see:

The red pipe cleaner is for lifting the pellets out of the plastic case.

The pellets are 0.409" diameter, 0.750" long, and very uniform. They are much nicer physically than Pryodex pellets.

Ten pellets were weighted, 327.1gr, therefore each pellet is 32.7gr, not 50gr by weight.

Loose T7 powder weight was previously measured compared to volume. The actual weight was 0.64 the volume. If that density holds, the 32.7gr pellet would be 51.09gr volume equivalent.

These T7 pellets would easily fit in any .44 C&B revolver, 1858, 1860, etc., but you would probably blow that revolver up. IMO the only revolver that may be able to use these T7 pellets would be Walkers and Dragoons. The pellets are designed to be ignited by 209 primers. I suspect that a few grains of BP in each chamber before inserting the pellet in the chambers would allow cap use.

Will I give this a try? Absolutely not! I like my Walkers and life too much to give using the T7 pellets in a BP revolver a try.

This information is given just for discussion and not recommended for actual use in a BP revolver.

Regards,
Richard