Photobucket

Author Topic: Subject is Pietta Cylinders - those bought in the 90's - is the fit different  (Read 1466 times)

Offline old-iron

Here's the deal when i got my original 1858 Remington it had a wooden cylinder in it which i just found today

I'm not sure but i think i read on the forum that the cylinders changed through the years anyone find that to be true
i'm just assuming the cylinder was made by Pietta

S&S Firearms original reproduction Bolt fits the Cabelas cylinder perfect

the new Pietta Bolt is to wide

it could be that the Cabelas cylinder was made by another gun maker?

here's a picture of the wooden cylinder that was in the 1858

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
How many shots did you get from yer wood'n cylinder?   )L$  (?^  ->i

Paul
Making Underhammers and Muleys too.
NMLRA & NRA EPL, Muzzleloader Mag.

Offline CrazyOldHermit

Can't speak to the 90's ...but ... but the original "bespoke" cylinder of my Old Silver (it's serial numbered to the gun) will not work in any of my newer Piettas. As you have discovered, the new bolts are "beefier"

I can use newer cylinders in my '87 - the larger slots in them work with the smaller bolt. There is a little bit of play as opposed to the tight lockup with the "bespoke" cylinder, but nothing to worry about.

If you go to Howell's site, when you are ordering a conversion cylinder for a Pietta 1858, you are asked to specify if it's for a recent model, or an older one (more than 10 years back, if I remember right). Most likely that's because of the bolt change -

I'd guess from that a 90's Pietta cylinder would have been made for a smaller bolt (like on my '87)
A blackpowder revolver forum may be the only place on the Internet where a guy can discuss shaving tight balls and wrenching on his nipples without any snickering from other users.

Offline old-iron

How many shots did you get from yer wood'n cylinder?   )L$  (?^  ->i
That Good  :-*

Offline old-iron

Can't speak to the 90's ...but ... but the original "bespoke" cylinder of my Old Silver (it's serial numbered to the gun) will not work in any of my newer Piettas. As you have discovered, the new bolts are "beefier"

I'd guess from that a 90's Pietta cylinder would have been made for a smaller bolt (like on my '87)

CrazyOldHermit This sounds exactly like what i'm trying to describe the new Pietta bolt has more beef much wider

the reproduction of an original fits tight no movement

Thanks for the information that answers my question

Offline West Texan

Try a Euroarms, or ASM , or Uberti. I have a Lyman 1858 made years age by Euroarms. The frame and parts are smaller than Pietta products. If you can find some they will come closer to fitting your revolver. The current Uberti cylinder might fit. My guess is that the wooden cylinder is there after some lost the original.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:11:12 AM by West Texan »

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
Dear Friends,
            I had two 8" barreled Remington Pietta's that I got from Dixie Gun Works, in 1988.  During the early 90's, I bought several spare cylinders from Dixie, and all fitted perfectly.  During, "The Divorce," these two revolvers were illegally disposed of by my Ex-Wife.  The only spare cylinders I have experience with since that time have been the 13 that I have bought from Cabela's, during the period, 2012 to 2014.  All have worked perfectly in my three Sheriff's Models, and in the 1866 Carbine that I sold to Richard a few weeks ago.  The carbine (Of course.) was made by Uberti, but the previous owner had had a gunsmith
slightly enlarge the hole in the frame, to enable the owner to use Pietta Cylinders in it.(He too was a Pietta Revolver Owner!!!)
All the (16) cylinders I possess, are all Pietta cyinders! I personally have never experienced any problems with the fitting of new cylinders to either the Older 8" barreled revolvers.(Bought from Dixie Un Works.) or the newer cylinders bought from Cabela's, to fit the newer Sheriff's Models, also from Cabela's! Mycurrent revolvers were manufactured: Betsina and Clementina, 2011 (CH) and Sophia, 2012 (CI0)  All these cylinders, including the one now fitted to Richard's Carbine, worked very satisfactorarily in all three Sheriff's Models, AND the carbine when it was mine!
                                                                                     Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline West Texan

I think one of my Pietta cylinders would fit and function in my old Lyman 1858 Rem made by Euroarms if a gunsmith were to lathe turn off a couple hundreds inch off the face of the Pietta cylinder. Fitting and repairing these older no longer made guns is about measuring and fitting parts or finding. Sources.

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
The bolts were quite a bit smaller prior to the turn of the century. What makes it worse is that the '80s and '90s are the Dark Ages of Pietta quality control, so even "period" cylinders sometimes have to be fitted.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
The bolts were quite a bit smaller prior to the turn of the century. What makes it worse is that the '80s and '90s are the Dark Ages of Pietta quality control, so even "period" cylinders sometimes have to be fitted.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^
Pietta switched over to CAM/CAD machining 'somewhere' in the late '90s and their QC shot up tremendously. All my (new) Piettas interchange....no so for the old ones.My buddy Steve let my try his Taylor's .45LC cylinder. It was a drop-in for my new 'shorty sheriff' but wouldn't even go in either of my earlier 8-inch Piettas.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
Chris over at Howell makes custom conversion cylinders for people with the smaller bolts, or he will fit a new bolt for people who want to interchange. He does really good work, too. I think Kirst offers a similar service, but I've never actually seen one afterwards. Both are great companies.
Even if you aren't converting, they might be willing to do a tune-up for you for a price.
If you need a replacement cylinder on an older Pietta, you might try VTI gun parts. If anyone can get the older-style cylinders, it would be them.