Photobucket

Author Topic: Short play long time run Final 1858-1863 Army Finshed  (Read 3215 times)

Offline Soiltec53

Short play long time run Final 1858-1863 Army Finshed
« on: April 20, 2015, 01:02:35 PM »
I haven't been on I while just busy , family, health , Life. In between I did get to make  cut by hand  Back Plate for this old Pistol. Yes did take picture of whole event and what I discovered and made mistakes on and about. But final was better than I though possible. It works very good. Haven shot it yet but that was not in the plan but I believe it possible now. May give grips another coat of Linn Seed oil .I'll post more in future.  this is what it came out to be. Thanks for all encouragement. Soiltec (k-

Offline old-iron

Re: Short play long time run Final 1858-1863 Army Finshed
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 01:10:52 PM »
Your Remington still looks good and old just like it should

can you take a picture of the top of the original loading lever for me
i think there way different then replicas the Pietta is flat & smooth on top
just trying learn more about originals, maybe i'll find an original loading lever and cylinder pin
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:17:08 PM by old-iron »

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 01:28:02 PM »
I know "old iron" found his Remmie in a pawn shop; where did you find yours? I would dearly love to get something like those guns! I have been following a few on auctions, etc. but the really nice ones bring big bucks (as they should) and I don't want a rusted shut hunk of iron either.

Offline NineMilePete

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 03:28:33 PM »
Try "Invaluable Auctions"  will have to google search.
I saw shooter for about $750.  Had a replaced cylinder.

good luck

Offline Omnivore

• Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 05:04:47 PM »
That looks great, man!  If I had something like that I think I'd have to fire it, at least one in a great while.

Am I seeing things, or is that a modified original percussion cylinder?  There seems to be a different alloy stuck on the back of it.  IRRC, they would have turned it back to remove the capping cutouts, silver soldered a new section on the back, and then bored it through.

Offline Hewy

• Black Friday
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 12:26:01 PM »
That had me looking hard at the cylinder also, but I missed the different shade
of metal, good eye Omnivore.
So what is the history of this design or was it a one off ?????
Hewy
Hewy
Better to be gettin , than gettin got.
I FLY BOTH NORTH AND SOUTH BATTLE FLAGS, TO HONOR ALL THOSE THAT FOUGHT.

Offline Soiltec53

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 12:54:52 PM »
Here's picture for old Iron, Top of my Lever and Factory Assembly number. Hope this helps some.  ])M

Offline Soiltec53

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 01:10:24 PM »
To Hewy, The cylinder , From what I seen of lot of others is  Remington modified to Roland White patented .looks like the cut the cylinder then added  portion to it . Cant find any Patent Stamp on it but it does have R and w stamp both very worn but there. I think this was latter version of Roland White type Conversion . Cartridge is Remington 44 or Colt 44 diminutions. many Back plates were different on lot of conversions and that was hardest part to figure how to make. Until I looked at the inside of Frame. And used clear plastic to make Template .

Offline Soiltec53

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 01:17:12 PM »
Mazo-Kid, I found it on Gun Brokers , Traded guy Flint lock and small amount of cash . I wasn't sure if it was original ether. Then I didn't know if I could get it going again. Guy II got it from bought it at Estate Sale in North Carolina , Family couldn't remember who what where other than guy was family was in civil War , carried it then went to Colorado to prospect came back with some gold and had it converted. No papers to prove it but still good story.  Here's picture of Cartridge cases I made from 44-40 cases . Had to turn down rims like the 44 Rem Cartridge for them to fit they drooped right in   :9)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 01:22:20 PM by Soiltec53 »

Offline Soiltec53

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 01:56:18 PM »
Sad thing about this I may have to sell it , just got bad test result back on my health from my Doctor.  Can't win for losing. But life is always that way. Picture of when cleaned but not complete .))

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 11:07:50 PM »
Sad thing about this I may have to sell it , just got bad test result back on my health from my Doctor.  Can't win for losing. But life is always that way. Picture of when cleaned but not complete .))

Sorry to hear about your tests. Hope it's nothing serious.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"