Author Topic: Engraved Pietta '58s, re-visited  (Read 1305 times)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Engraved Pietta '58s, re-visited
« on: April 19, 2015, 02:03:06 PM »
A while back, someone posted that their engraved '58 was made in 2013 as determined by the date code. I checked mine and the date code was 2014, which was correct for the time I got my gun. The other night I was wiping down the gun to get rid of the plastic dust from making different grips for it; dropped the loading lever and found "2014" stamped on the bottom barrel flat. Has anyone else noticed the stamped date there?

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
Re: Engraved Pietta '58s, re-visited
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 02:38:30 PM »
Hi mazo, I see that Cabelas has the engraved Pietta 1858 with spare cylinder on sale for $250. It's on backorder, but the price is right.

The next time I pull my engraved 1858 out of the glass display case I will check and see if it is date stamped.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline RCampb6131

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 02:59:08 PM »
Hi Richard,

Mine is also marked "2014" on the bottom flat

RC

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 03:23:42 PM »
Richard, that is a good price, but still not as good as when we got ours. I did have to wait about 4 months to get it, but the wait was worth it.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 09:55:17 AM »
Hi Richard, Mine is also marked "2014" on the bottom flat RC
RC, is your frame brass/nickle plated? That would be good to know before shooting heavier loads.

Offline bdsnooks

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 11:13:39 AM »
Hi All,
Pretty new here---
I got a 1858 Engraved from Cabela's about a week ago for $287.09 counting tax and s@h.
It has a CM on it (2014).
It is a steel frame with nickel trigger guard.
After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.

Offline RCampb6131

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 09:25:51 PM »
Hi Mazo Kid,

The nickle plated Remington '58 sold by Cabela's has a brass frame.

RC

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 10:47:36 AM »
A while back, someone posted that their engraved '58 was made in 2013 as determined by the date code. I checked mine and the date code was 2014, which was correct for the time I got my gun. The other night I was wiping down the gun to get rid of the plastic dust from making different grips for it; dropped the loading lever and found "2014" stamped on the bottom barrel flat. Has anyone else noticed the stamped date there?

After Pietta retooled we started running across a lot of "transitional" date codes that seemed to be for either year. If it wasn't for us ordering oddball stuff I would never have noticed that we got 2013 date codes on guns that we know for a fact weren't even ordered to be built until the following year.
I almost wonder if - in a totally non-characteristic way for the Italians - they tried to get way ahead on frame production during the transition, and are still working through their stock.
It has to be something like that since I noticed a set of consecutive numbers guns last year with different year codes - and most of the ones we got in yesterday are 2014 frames.