Photobucket

Author Topic: Is this a good deal?  (Read 3062 times)

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
Is this a good deal?
« on: April 17, 2015, 12:22:32 AM »
I saw this pistol (one like it with a brass frame) at the local gun store for less than $110.

Is this a good deal?  (k-

.31 cal, brass frame.  I handled it, took the barrel and cylinder off and it all looks good, not beat up at all.

Paul
Paul
Making Underhammers and Muleys too.
NMLRA & NRA EPL, Muzzleloader Mag.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Is this a good deal?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 03:06:39 AM »
The photo is not a brass frame, as you implied.   1849 pocket, cool, by whom?  Sounds like it could be almost a  bargain. Brass? Any photos of it, date code, maker?  Too bad its brass, historical accuracy and all. But for a .31 that can be OK, especially if you like it. Prolly it will shoot good. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 03:18:53 AM by G Dog »
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 10:33:48 AM »
Hi BartSr, for a display item or occasional shooter it should be OK. Brass is strong enough for a .31 even using full loads.

The only issue is if you can get spare parts for it if needed. Do you know the make of the revolver?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 11:07:16 AM »
Hi BartSr, sounds like a good deal to me.  ;)
Buy it and if you still don't like it...just list it for sale on here!  (T^
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 01:37:40 PM »
Dear Friends,
            I am not a fan of Mouse Guns!  Even if crammed full to the point where the barrel shaves a tiny shim of lead from the front of the ball, I would still never use a caliber so lacking in power.  Since the Powers that be, changed the calibers to from Land to Land, and now read from groove to Groove, I carry a .45 Black Powder Remington Revolver.  Mainly because they dont make a .46!  A very expert Firearms Gentleman, once advised a lady Federal Officer, who had asked his opinion of the .25 Auto with these words: "Carry it by all means if it makes you feel better. However DO NOT shoot at anyone with it! You may hit them, and this might make them very angry, and they my do you Serious Harm!
            I have read from someone who I Deeply Respect, that the .36 Black POwder revolver IS a good Fight Stopper,when itis loaded with a Round Ball. Apparently the caliber is NOT NEARLY SO EFFECTIVE, WHEN LOADED WITH A CONICAL!  It stands to reason that the BEST caliber to use in  Percussion Revolver, is the Redoubtable .44! The only calibers worth a darn are those that punch a BIG HOLE in one's Adversary!!!  An Old British Colonel was asked once by a young Subaltern, why he always hunted Elephant with the .600 Nitro Express. The elderly Officer replied, "Because I cannot get anything BIGGER Sir!"
            I suppose that if your house is two hundred yards or more from your nearest neighbor, and you have a pretty sound proof garage, then you could amuse yourself on Evenings when there only those Stupid, "Sit-Coms," on the Goggle Box.  This would depend a lot on The state you live in, and the level of common sense in your neighbors!
            Our Good Friend Richard has the good fortune to live where the sound of Gunfire does not apparently offend anyone within earshot of his home, and he apparently has a lot of fun with his Colt .31's, and finds them to be very accurate at short ranges! 
            I bought a pair of the Brass Framed Remington .31 Pocket revolvers, and found them to be Pathetic! No Power, No Accuracy, and this has been backed up by no less a person than Our Hawg, Who remarked a few posts ago, to the effect that he couldn't hit a thing with his!  So to sum up MY PERSONAL Opinion of these Mouse Guns, "I feel they are pretty useless as guns!  Perhaps a very young Cotton-tail Rabbit my succoumb to one, or maybe a Tarantula Spider, if the Aracnid was in failing health! My pair of Remington Pockets hit roughly ten inches high at 20 feet, and two or three round DID mnage to hit the pine 2X4's hard enough to stick in the little shallow holes they made.Most just bounced off, and one hit me on the upper left arm, causing a slight bruise, that was gone the next morning!  After seeing how utterly useless they were, I packed them away, and eventually GAVE then to some Thick-Headed Limey who had come out from England to visit me for a few days, back in the 1980's!  Later on I told his local Police Inspector he had them, when my wife told me, (After he had returned to the U.K. and she knew I would not be able to shoot him dead,) that he had tried several times to make improper advances to her!  Even the British Police Inspector agreed with me that this was,"Shamefull Behaviour," and the young man was lucky to escape Prison Time!  In England at that time, even specially made Blank Firing Guns had to be registered on a Firearm's Certificate, and they took that away from him, so he lost ALL the blank firer's as well as his shotgun, and a pair of Blank Firing Sixguns he had bought at great expense from Germany! So the only good use I ever put the two useless little Suckers, was that they helped me to get some Revenge on him for trying to seduce my wife, while a guest in my home!  I'm one of those people who if you Crap all over me, I get mean AND I get Even!
                                                                                     Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:51:29 PM by Gunslinger9378 »
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 04:09:03 PM »
I saw this pistol (one like it with a brass frame) at the local gun store for less than $110.

Is this a good deal?  (k-

.31 cal, brass frame.  I handled it, took the barrel and cylinder off and it all looks good, not beat up at all.
Paul

Depends on who made it and what you plan on doing with it.  It is more than likely an ASM or CVA (which was made by ASM).  It would be a good plinking revolver and display piece.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 04:40:51 PM »
Don't know the maker.
Pistol had a date code of [AF] or 1980 ish.

Paul
Paul
Making Underhammers and Muleys too.
NMLRA & NRA EPL, Muzzleloader Mag.

Offline sourdough

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 06:59:29 PM »
Damn, Johnnie!

I learn more and more with every post you make.

It is quite an eye-opener reading your posts.

Please continue, sir!

Jim

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 09:20:18 PM »
Damn, Johnnie!
It is quite an eye-opener reading your posts.

Wait a little here.  Let me get this.  The guy macks on your wife, you do nothing but snitch him and the police inspector takes all his ‘guns’ away?  Did I get this?  In the U.S. alienation of affections is purely a civil matter and this dude didn’t even manage that.  Geeze, in the U.S. we be free to hoe and run around and get shot for any reason we choose, deservedly or otherwise.  Why didn’t you just bust his chops Johnnie?

I like .31's, don't throw much of a load but cool little suckers just the same.  I've shot some gophers with a Remington one.  Big ferocious gophers they were.
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 10:53:11 PM »
Dem li'l ol' mouse guns won't be much in stopping power, but then they were never meant to be. More likely quick-concealable arms for chasing off would-be offenders in the day. Worked better than brandishing a fist. If all you want to do is plink or shoot rats they'll be fine, great little poppers.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 11:18:02 PM »
If you like it, want it and have the cash it's a good deal.  I consider almost anything priced around $100 to be a good purchase.   The fact it is brass framed really doesn't matter much in the 31 caliber revolvers.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 11:23:07 PM »
Johnny, I think you're about the only one I know who carries a BP revolver for protection on a regular basis. If I wanna "protect" myself I'll carry my Ruger SBH in .44RM or my Colt .380ACP if I want conceal-ability. My BP guns are for havin' fun. The Civil War is over, my friend..... ;)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"