Author Topic: Is it real?  (Read 5184 times)

Offline MechanicalRandall

Is it real?
« on: April 10, 2015, 02:51:37 PM »
I inherited this from my father in law.  How can I go about determining its authenticity?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Offline Camo

Re: Is it real?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 03:20:06 PM »
I would think if you photographed the markings on the barrel and frame of the gun someone here would be happy to help you identify the authenticity of the pistol, looks great and a wonderful gift. The problem is so many people are getting so good at antiquing their guns without the proof marks there probably no other way to tell. Good luck
"Let us cross over the river and rest in the shade of the trees"

What did you think, before the evening news told you what to think.

Offline old-iron

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 04:27:08 PM »
The wood grips look old as does the brass on a close up

look on the bottom of the barrel for the serial number & under the left grip on the frame at the bottom

on the top of the barrel should be Remington - see the photo

use black powder only was never on an original Remington

hope that helps
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 04:31:36 PM by old-iron »

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 07:21:02 PM »
Serial is 56504.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 08:25:11 PM by MechanicalRandall »

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 07:50:18 PM »
More Pics
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 08:25:28 PM by MechanicalRandall »

Offline old-iron

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 09:10:26 PM »
That's a Real as it gets very nice Remington - Great pictures

some of the guys on the forum can date your revolver using Donald Ware's book
Remington Army and Navy Revolvers, 1861-1888

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 10:57:20 PM »
Feb. 1864. Unfortunately it has been heavily wire brushed decreasing value by a few hundred dollars and if not now has had some timing issues in the past.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 11:14:48 PM »
When you cock the trigger the barrel does not finish rotating completely; you must finish the last little "click" by hand.  It looks like someone who didn't realize that dry fired it several times and the hammer dented the corners of the cylinder in each firing location.

Any guess as to its value?  I don't plan to part with it by the way.

Thanks for all your help.

Offline Camo

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 06:58:47 AM »
So that's is great you got a Civil War period Remington, and aside from a few issues it is a great collectors piece, glad the forum was able to help you identify your gun. Hope you keep it for the generations with a little history of it as you know it.
"Let us cross over the river and rest in the shade of the trees"

What did you think, before the evening news told you what to think.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 07:39:31 AM »
Its value for the true collector has been decimated. A Civil War buff might give a little more for it because of the war date but I would say real world value would be around 700-800 tops. It would have been worth more with the rust still on it. Put a new hand in it and it will make a great shooter tho.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »
Thanks again!  My father-in-law was a true civil war buff, so this all makes a lot of sense.  As far as I'm concerned this is going into the safe for my daughter to inherit.

Is there anything I should to to preserve it (prevent further damage due to aging)?

Offline old-iron

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 02:25:22 PM »
MechanicalRandall  Would you take a photo of the loading lever on top that rests under the barrel
Thanks

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 04:26:23 PM »
Thanks again!  My father-in-law was a true civil war buff, so this all makes a lot of sense.  As far as I'm concerned this is going into the safe for my daughter to inherit.

Is there anything I should to to preserve it (prevent further damage due to aging)?

Keep it clean and oiled. It won't hurt anything to replace the hand and take it out and shoot it now and then.

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 08:34:24 PM »
This is my first gun that isn't a shotgun.  Can you help me out with any links on how to clean my gun, what oil to use to oil it, and where to buy a hand?  Is the hand responsible for the bad timing?

Also, is there a forum-recommended beginner kit for loading?  Should I buy an extra cylindar?  Again...any recommendations?

I want to take this to the range to fire and feel the history!  But I also want to make sure I'm taking good care of the gun.  And to be honest, I have no idea how to do that.

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 07:38:08 PM »
Still wondering...Can anybody help me out with any links on how to clean my gun, what oil to use to oil it, and where to buy a hand?  Is the hand responsible for the bad timing?

Also, is there a forum-recommended beginner kit for loading?  Should I buy an extra cylinder?