Author Topic: Too pretty to shot? Well, yes ... and NO  (Read 4404 times)

Offline CrazyOldHermit

Too pretty to shot? Well, yes ... and NO
« on: April 10, 2015, 01:00:28 PM »
My buddy Frank and I have always said that "There ain't no such thing as a gun too pretty to shoot!", most recently when I got my "laser-engraved" Remington last year and some fool asked if I was REALLY going to shoot that pretty gun. Yep- I do ... and it shoots pretty darn good.

So, I was browsing Armslist for Montana and I came across a cap and ball revolver that I figured just might make us eat our words - a 1995 Uberti Colt 1862 Police that had been done up as a Samuel Colt Commemorative. The little 1862 was engraved, but, more importantly, had been completely plated in "24 karat gold". I was amused, and I forwarded the ad on to Frank, figuring he'd be amused as well. That was a mistake, because he fell in love with the idea of having that golden Colt just as something that would make him smile every time he looked at it, and, since the price was surprisingly reasonable, he BOUGHT the silly thing. It came with a locking, glass-topped display case, a couple of accessories, and was number 007 of 950. When it arrived, he discovered that even the accessories still had their original packaging - the whole thing had only been unwrapped for the pictures in the ad, and then carefully re-wrapped.

Now, while we were waiting for it to arrive, I was kidding Frank that I knew we would never shoot that gun, but ... maybe he'd better find a "stunt double" for it - a good, honest steel version that we COULD shoot. Well, it's not an 1862 Police, but the Pietta US Marshall 1851 in .44 he found is roughly the same size, almost as pretty, and was on close out pricing at the local Cabelas.

So, all of a sudden, he has a Colt that has not been fired since it was proofed (and given that even the chambers and bore are gold plated, never WILL be fired - not even I am that much of a barbarian) and another gussied up Colt that can be taken out to make smoke, fire and thunder. I can already tell you that the Stunt Double for Ole 007 handles up to 30 grains just fine, but, as might be expected from the front sight, shoots pretty darn high at 10 yards.

Pictures: 007 in its case with accoutrements, 007 with the Stunt Double, with an item for scale to show you how small the 1862 Police is (pretty much a pocket pistol, albeit a large one in .36), and, because it's a Remmie forum, a comparison photo with my 1858 brasser to drive home the point that 007 is a LITTLE revolver.

Meanwhile, I may have to scare up some gold leaf and apply it to some of the round balls for my .36 Whitney - may as well have "gold" ammunition to put in the case.
A blackpowder revolver forum may be the only place on the Internet where a guy can discuss shaving tight balls and wrenching on his nipples without any snickering from other users.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
Re: Too pretty to shot? Well, yes ... and NO
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 08:33:05 PM »
on you laser remmy, did the cylinders engraving darken after you shot it? i shot mine today for the first time and i can barely see the engraving on either of the cylinders now...
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline CrazyOldHermit

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 08:55:57 PM »
Bruce - yep - after shooting it and cleaning it the first time, the light colored whatever it is in the laser etching became very faint - you can still see the lines, but you have to look closely. For me, it was an acceptable loss of detail - in fact, it makes the newer Remmie look even more like a dark twin for my Old Silver (where the cylinder is more deeply engraved, but was never colored). And, since that first range session, it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse.

If I do lay hands on some brush on gold leaf for those .36 roundballs for Frank's golden colt, I may try "freshing up" the engraved cylinders with it. It'll likely be removed by shooting, but will still make a shiny first impression.
A blackpowder revolver forum may be the only place on the Internet where a guy can discuss shaving tight balls and wrenching on his nipples without any snickering from other users.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 10:16:29 PM »
did the rest of the gun darken up or just the cylinders? for me its just the cylinders... so far   >:(
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline CrazyOldHermit

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 10:38:21 PM »
Just the cylinders - I suspect it's caused by the "blast" from the cylinder gap at the forcing cone. I oringally thought it was just the cylinders being dirty from shooting, but when I cleaned them, I had to admit that the extra silvery stuff was gone.

If it helps, I've put another 150 rounds total through the gun, and the rest of the engraving is just fine ...and ... the cylinders don't seem to be much worse off than they were after the first range session.

That's one of the reasons why that little gold plated 1862 will never be fired - I suspect the electroplating will NOT be happy with the hot gasses from even a light charge.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 12:01:19 AM »
the plating should hold up if it was done right (i would assume it was) i have gold, silver, nickel and copper plated several shooters throughout the years and other than metal to metal contact and holster/handling wear the plating holds up
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline Electric Miner

• Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 10:14:30 AM »
If a gun is too pretty to shoot - or too collectible - I don't buy it. If I own it, I shoot it.
Navy Veteran
American Legion Member
NRA member

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 12:56:21 PM »
Hi, my laser engraved Pietta 1858 with extra cylinder is just too pretty to shoot. I mounted it in a glass display case and enjoy looking at it often.

I think that the laser engraving is done after the revolver is blued where the engraving is bare steel. This is what my engraved 1858 looks like in the case:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 07:58:52 PM »
Dear Friends,
            I am NOT a Gun Collector! I am a SHOOTER, and shoot the Crap out of Everything I own!  Just because a gun is engraved, is no excuse for not loading her up, and making the Welin Ring!  I'd even shoot that gold Plated Iddy Biddy Colt, except that I'd not really want any Colt Open Top Percussion Revolver in my possession!  I remember only too well, the Pain & Frustration of thta Thrice Accursed 1860 ArmyReplica!  That was a highly frustrating Weapon to own.
            I do believe that if I did happen to get one of the engraved Models, with the extra Cylinder, I'd probably just carry it on Sundays!  If I am going to kill someone on the Lord's Day, better to do it in style, don't you think!
                                                                                     Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 09:30:55 PM »
Johnnie, you don’t seem to particularly like Colts.  Did I get that right?
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 09:45:18 PM »
Johnnie, hate to ask, but....
Have you tried shooting an open-top lately?
Is it possible your 'thrice-accursed' was just a lemon? Or had the wrong caps? I've had so much better luck since I discovered the Remington #10 caps, You can keep the CCI's, and I don't 'pinch' caps....they fit or they don't shoot them.
Can you even tell us the make of your 'thrice-accursed'? The new Piettas are mighty fine, and while they will on occasion become a cap-sucker, it's not a regular occurrence.
Maybe you oughta give it another chance? Quien sabe?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 05:30:25 AM »
Johnnie, hate to ask, but....
Have you tried shooting an open-top lately?
Is it possible your 'thrice-accursed' was just a lemon? Or had the wrong caps? I've had so much better luck since I discovered the Remington #10 caps, You can keep the CCI's, and I don't 'pinch' caps....they fit or they don't shoot them.
Can you even tell us the make of your 'thrice-accursed'? The new Piettas are mighty fine, and while they will on occasion become a cap-sucker, it's not a regular occurrence.
Maybe you oughta give it another chance? Quien sabe?

I was going to go there but figured it want do no good. All that has ever been said is " I remember only too well, the Pain & Frustration of thta Thrice Accursed 1860 Army Replica!" One Colt has all Colts accused. I fired one couple days ago not one problem out of it. I did use cci #10s trying to use them all up, but I'm not having any trouble out of them either. I've noticed once you get through the first cylinder the nipples has some build up get on them that well help keep the caps on the nipples. Not sure how others do their cylinders on Colts but I don't swap out the on the Colts like on the Remington.

Hay Richard I like that glass gun case you have there. (T^
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 05:44:41 PM »
Dear Friends
            The fact remains that with the Colt Open Top Design, the possibility ALWAYS exists, that a cap WILL drop into the workings at JUST the Wrong Moment! I must have shot well over one thousand rounds in the last eighteen months. and never had ONE CAP JAM OF ANY KIND!  That's using all three of my "Girls," about equally!  Their record for reliability is unsurpassed in my shooting experience, although my eight inchers, Betsy & Clementine did as well in the 1990's!
            The Thrice Accursed Colt was imported,(To the best of my recollection!) by Navy Arms! I cannot recall if anything was written on the barrel, because the thing was given me as payment for something I did for the Gunsmith, and to prevent some of the muck flying back and hitting him, some identifying marks were removed from the gun. Like for instance the, "New
Model 1960," which had been put on it instead of the 1860!  SO whatever the records show as having been the most prolific
1860 Army Repro to be found in London, England, in the 1960's!  It LOOKED NICE, IT FELT NICE IN THE HAND, but it shot like the Piece of Shit it was!  It soured me for all pistols of the Colt design!  I have gotten so used to Remington's, that I have found that Mike Cumpston and Johnny Bates are quite right when they say that the way some people say the Colt "Points Better," etc; is all a matter of familiarity! To Me, Remington's point very naturally.  The last time I was in the desert, I tried an experiment.  Off to one side was an old dead Cactus Stump.  About four feet high, and as thick around, as an average girl of ten years o age!  I holstered Betsina, and then drew fairly swiftly, and with the gun at about waist high, shot at the stump four times! I missed it once!  I was abut fifteen feet from the stump, and the gun was at about waist high, with my elbow tucked into my waist!  I could just see it in the periphery of my vision! I tried to shoot pretty rapidly, and think that was why I missed the last shot!  I seemed to be too slow, and thought I'd hurry things up a little!  I did see the sand kick up behind the stump, and think had the stump been a little wider I'd have scored on it with all four!  I tried to keep my eyes focused on the middle of the stump! 
            Maybe that old 1860 of mine WAS a Lemon, but I have seen enough of other people with Colts style guns, and most of them seem to have the, "Capsucking Problem!"  To me, buying an open top percussion revolver would be a complete waste of time.  I am convinced that the MAIN reason Colt had such High Sales, was because he was a super Salesman!  He could most likely have sold refridgerators and fans to Eskimo's!  He made presentations of Engraved and silver and gold inlaid revolvers to "People In High Places," but never gave a Plain Old Garden Variety gun, to anyone who might have to FIGHT with the Bloody Thing!
            I used to help out on week-ends at North Little Rock Range, The Rangemaster was a competition IPSC Shooter, and travelled to a great many Matches around the country, and when he was competing, he'd ask me to ramrod the range. Many shooters came to the range with Black Powder Guns, and with the Colts, it was always the same complaint, Caps dropping down in front of the hammer and jamming up the works!  Maybe the people who LOVE Colt's, have developed some sort of reflex? Like they tip the hand to one side and let the spent cap fall off as they cock the piece.  What I cannot understand is that I have three Sheriff's Models, I take all three with me when I go to the desert, and I don't have ANY JAMS!  All these guys who write me and tell me they have lots of jams with Remington's! What in the blue blazes are they doing?  Of course they may admire some of the rabid Colt Afficiondo's, and just SAY they get jams to shut the Limey up! It could well be!  I've always admired that old saying! I believe it was featured on an advertisement for Remington Shot shells once, but can't be sure. "To Ride, Shoot Straight, and tell the Truth! That is the Worthy Code of Youth!"  I never have liked lies or Liars.  With my current Memory, I'd have a hard enough job remembering what DID happen, let alone trying to recall what I SAID had happened!  What ever I write here about my guns, and the way I shoot them, is what happened for real! At my age I don't have the time to, "Make Something Up!"  If some folks choose not to believe me? Well that's their perogative! I just say it like it is!  Let the Devil take the HIndmost!
                                                                                     Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.     
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 06:35:47 PM »
Gunslinger9378 wrote:
...some identifying marks were removed from the gun. Like for instance the, "New
Model 1960,"which had been put on it instead of the 1860.

Doesn't sound like you had a Navy Arms gun to me. I know I have seen that "New Model 1960" on a pistol or two in the past, but can't remember who made them except that Navy Arms didn't use that on their guns that I am aware of.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 06:45:11 PM »
“If some folks choose not to believe me? Well that's their perogative! I just say it like it is!  Let the Devil take the HIndmost!”

Yes, credibility.  It is easily self-dissipated and blown.  Ignorance and prejudice could prevent someone from appreciating Colts.  My Pietta Colts operate just fine, real fine. 

Museum specimens probably belong under glass.  Repros are for the field.  Reasonable and experienced minds differ on this however.  I don’t think I would shoot antiques (if I had any).  If one were sitting here on the desk by me I may have second thoughts though.

You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.