Author Topic: Belly Gun  (Read 18419 times)

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Belly Gun
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »
I've got a Uberti bag of parts gun coming looks like a good project.

Would that be a Remmie repro?

No it's a 1851.
US Navy Retired, NRA life member, VFW life member, American Legion, FRA, KofC
Time Magazine person of the year.....2006

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2012, 03:45:48 PM »
Dear Friends,
       You have shown a great deal of ingenuity in making these belly guns.  I do wonder though, if they are like that quote from Jeff Cooper.  "An answer to a problem that does not exist!"  A Belly Gun is obviously designed to be easily concealed, yet pack a big enough punch to instantly disable an armed antagonist!  To do this, the weapon should fire a big enough and heavy enough projectile, at sufficient speed to disable a tough man.  It has been known for years, that to effectively put a determined man down, needs a caliber of not less than .44, and a velocity of about 800 fps.  Such a round will generate considerable recoil, so it is desirable that the pistol have a large enough grip to allow the shooter to maintain control of the pistol, in case follow up shots are needed to put your antagonist down.  Now I observe that the pistol in Post #1, is based on a brass framed Remington, with a very short barrel.  Even if the frame could stand the battering that a heavy load would produce, the muzzle blast from such a load, with the very short barrel would be very unsettling, even to a very experienced shooter!  The other point is that with a grip of reduced size, the pistol would be more difficult to control for any subsequent shots, should they be needed!
       I am a rather small man. I used to be 5'-8", but I am now 76 years of age, and I have the feeling that I have shrunk a little. I am probably 5'-7" now.  I carry concealed an 1858 Remington Sheriff's Model.  I do not have access to a Chronograph, and so I wrote to Duelkist1954, Who I know to be a Gun Writer for Guns of the Old West.  I told him the load that I used, told him what gun I carried, and asked him what he thought my Muzzle velocity would be from a 5.5" barrel. He estimated that I was probably getting 950 fps.  Now I happen to know the formula for determining muzzle energy, if you know the bullet weight and the velocity.  So I worked out the Muzzle energy my pistol is most probably producing! it worked out at just over 282 Ft. Lbs. Quite respectable for a .44 Black Powder  pistol!
       I can very easily conceal either of my Remington Sheriff''s models.  I use a modern Nylon Hunting Revolver holster, and not withstanding that I am a little guy, it conceals admirably under a short tan Safari vest.  Now I have the advantage of the full grip, to enable me to hold the gun steady. the reasonably long sight base, (7 1/2") and the fact that I will be carrying the same gun that I practice with regularly! So therefore, I will be using the exact same gun I used almost every week.  Like I said earlier, I am 5'-7", I weigh just about 164 lbs,( On the bathroom scales in the nude.) and my figure is justifiably called slim.  Yet I can easily conceal a standard Remington Sheriff's Model.  So why the need for a Belly Gun? My Sheriff's Models are standard, and I am totally familiar with them, as I shoot them most weeks, and am quite pleased with the results I get.  Because the grips are full sized, I am able to get a firm grip on the gun, that I am FAMILIAR WITH!  The barrel is long enough to give me a good sight picture, the barrel is long enough for me to develop a good muzzle velocity, and therefore a good muzzle ENERGY!  In short, it gives a good bite to the fight! 
       The excellent (And now unhappily deceased!) Gun Writer, Elmer Keith, always said that the bigger the hole you punch in someone, the more likely you are to end the fight!  I proved this in Australia while shooting Kangaroos.  So instead of putting yourselves to all the trouble of messing around with a perfectly good gun, just carry a Sheriff's Model, and you will be well looked after.   
       I bought my Shoulder Holster from Cabela's when I got Betsina, my first gun.  I bought the second gun just over six months later. Both are excellent guns, and I am well pleased with them both.  I would agree that in a modern firearm, the Belly GUN can be shortened to advantage.  In a modern cartridge gun, one can get some very interesting loads worked up, that will give good terminal ballistics, from a very short barrel.  There are available very short barreled .357 Magnums, and if loaded with Glaser rounds, the 5 shot Smith & Wesson Chief's Special will give an excellent account of itself!
       If you want a concealed weapon that has considerable Bite in the fight, and you are 5'-&" or over, you would be hard put to get a better one than an 1858 Remington with a 5.5 " barrel!  it will do all you ask of it and more!
                                                                         Johnnie Roper,Alias:GUnslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Hoof Hearted

• RIP Rosce You will be sorely missed!
    • Cartridge Conversion
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2012, 04:03:38 PM »
Johnnie

I am the originator of this thread and although I have had the oppotunity to actually use a pistol, all three times I was lucky enough that my decision not to worked out for the good.........

I do carry 24/7 and have the right to do so (Thank you TEXAS) but when doing so I favor one of many 1911's. It is also important to know that I view (no need to quote famous people here) a pistol as a means to fight my way to a long gun.

These pistols are for fun! I do have more than a few (these are most of my cowboy guns):

As a gunsmith for better than two decades I LIKE to build things that fill holes in my collection {L*

WE appreciate you here and your views but don't take it all too seriously M__
Life is too short to dance with ugly women )L$

Gary Barnes
aka: Hoof Hearted

Participating in a gun buyback program because you believe the criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you believe the neighbors have too many kids

30 Years of experience personalizing firearms for enthusiasts, I can make your dreams come true!
http://heelbasebullet.com http://cartridgeconversion.com

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2012, 06:27:35 PM »
I dunno Hoofy. Seems to me you need to dance with an ugly one oncet in awhile to further appreciate the pretty ones. (?^
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Hoof Hearted

• RIP Rosce You will be sorely missed!
    • Cartridge Conversion
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2012, 09:40:37 PM »
I dunno Hoofy. Seems to me you need to dance with an ugly one oncet in awhile to further appreciate the pretty ones. (?^
Notice I didn't mention "plump" women....................?
Participating in a gun buyback program because you believe the criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you believe the neighbors have too many kids

30 Years of experience personalizing firearms for enthusiasts, I can make your dreams come true!
http://heelbasebullet.com http://cartridgeconversion.com

Online Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2012, 09:34:48 AM »
Hoof, Now I know where all the guns went to!  (?^
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2012, 03:33:41 PM »
Dear Hoof-Hearted,
       I would probably carry a Colt Govt. Gold Cup if I had my druthers.  I am on social Security and Food Stamps, so outlaying close to a thousand dollars for a gun is not within my means.  To get as good a revolver as the 1858 Sheriff's Model is GREAT for me! Under $200 Bucks!  I also firmly believe that the Terminal Ballistics of a round, pure lead ball are pretty impressive!  Please do not misunderstand me.  The only men I ever killed was when I was about 21, and serving in Her Majesty's Royal Air Force.  Fifty five years ago, and I can still recall every detail!  I sincerely hope that I am never in a position again to have to use deadly force.  Twice, while I was on the police dept of a one-horse town in East Texas, I thought I was going to have to use the gun. On both occasions, the situation defused itself before it got to the point of no return. One was quite amusing, the other much more tense! (Afterwards I mean!) On one of them I had got to the point where I was calculating exactly where my first, second, and third bullet were going! That was the tense one! There are some people who still live very near me, that I caused either to be evicted or arrested, and they have made very serious threats against me.  I doubt very much if they would have the Chutzpa to do anything at this date, However, you never know which way a dill pickle is going to squirt, and after a few beers one night, someone may get brave enough!  So I carry, because in that car wreck in January, I took the equivalent of a very severe beating.  It knocked the stuffing out of me, and I only found out later how near I had come to Buying the Farm!  I don't think I could take another beating like that!
It would either kill me or so alter the flavor of my life, as to make death welcome! They sent me home with a walker from the hospital! But my biggest sin has always been pride, and I would not use it.  The walker has come in useful.  My hands were pretty shaky for some while after I came home, but I discovered that if I sit in the camp chair, and extend the legs on the walker to their full length, it becomes just the right height to rest my wrists on, when I want to find out where the gun is shooting, and try and cancel out my human failings!  So it has had it's uses after all.  My philosophy on guns is that I firmly believe that any man who has a gun, and knows how to use it, should carry one!  Look at the guy in Utah, who happened to be in the right place at the right time, when that guy went crazy with a knife in the shopping mall. The Crazy man had sliced several people, when the man with the gun, produced it and said, "Stop that, or I will shoot you!"  The crazy man must have believed him, for he ceased to be a nuisance, and as soon as the police arrived, he was taken into custody. The Chief of Police, no less, praised the man for taking the action he did, and many of the shoppers did likewise! That man did a lot of good for the responsible gun owners of America!  The trouble is, we are breeding, or have bred a whole generation of people who do not have the faintest idea, of what responsible Gun Ownership is all about! But that Utah Citizen did a lot for us all, when he took the action he did.  Now I will get off my Soapbox!
                 Best wishes to you all!  I love this forum!                   Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2012, 03:38:50 PM »
Dear Hawg
       Talking of women................Where did you find that really Georgeous Blonde Lady who did such a magnificent job of rolling her eyes?  She really was a Knockout!  If you tell us she is your wife, I'm going to vote for you aS, "THE LUCKIEST GUY ON THE fORUM!

Sincerely,                    Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2012, 03:46:20 PM »
Johnnie, there's a lot more/better choices that are affordable than a 58 Remington for personal protection. I would not feel under gunned with one but it would not be my first choice or third choice for that matter. For about the price of two Remington 58's you can have one of these. Rock Island's quality has gone up tremendously in the last few years. They're inexpensive and deadly reliable with anything you want to feed it.

Nah not wife. I found her on the net.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Online Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2012, 08:57:22 PM »
Hi Hawg, I love that gun! Oh yeah!  {?|

Online Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2015, 09:16:05 AM »
BTT

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2015, 10:17:28 AM »
.They're inexpensive and deadly reliable with anything you want to feed it.

Made me not carry the Remmie, the brief spell that I had that lady in my life.

Fantastic gun.
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Official Mad Dog Nose Tweaker.
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2015, 10:23:35 AM »
I wish my Norinco 1911 hadn't been stolen. I had added an adjustable rear sight to it and had it where I could shoot half dollar sized groups at 50 feet.  It was stolen in a break in to my house.
“The path of the warrior is difficult! We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves! Honour in serving! Honour in defending! Honour in dying for a just cause!”

"A knight is sworn to valor; His heart knows only virtue; His blade defends the helpless; His might upholds the weak; His word speaks only truth,
and his wrath undoes the wicked."

Online Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2015, 11:05:57 AM »
I wish my Norinco 1911 hadn't been stolen. I had added an adjustable rear sight to it and had it where I could shoot half dollar sized groups at 50 feet.  It was stolen in a break in to my house.
Kaeto, how long ago was this...I mean, what date did this happen?

Offline Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Official Mad Dog Nose Tweaker.
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2015, 12:56:27 PM »
About 8 years ago Sam.  They caught the guy the next day and got back everything he stole except the gun.  He broke in in broad daylight through my front door.
“The path of the warrior is difficult! We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves! Honour in serving! Honour in defending! Honour in dying for a just cause!”

"A knight is sworn to valor; His heart knows only virtue; His blade defends the helpless; His might upholds the weak; His word speaks only truth,
and his wrath undoes the wicked."