Author Topic: Two Newbie Questions: Uberti or Pietta and .36 vs .44  (Read 8054 times)

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
Re: Two Newbie Questions: Uberti or Pietta and .36 vs .44
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2015, 03:52:52 PM »
Dear Pugilist,
            I am  little guy too, and I believe in England my glove size was an 8!  I have always shot Piettas, an while the grips are a little oversized at the tops, (Right where the hammer comes back! I have never had any problems with holding them! The loads I use are the kind that have "Hair on their Chests," and I can still handle the guns comfortably!  Several of our members who have handled all different makes of these pistols, have said that Pietta's have improved in their Quality control quite a lot in recent years!  So being one of the "Undersized," amongst us, I feel quite confident in recommending the Pietta's as really well made, Accurate and hard wearing pistols!  Good luck in whatever you choose!
                                                                                     Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
PS: Dpouble on what G-Dog has just posted!!!  All three of mine are 5'5" barrels, and I love 'em!

Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline pugilist

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2015, 08:21:45 AM »
For those who recommend the Piettas, such as Gunslinger9378, G-Dog, and anyone else who I probably forgotten, have you handled the Uberti's?  I'm leaning towards the Uberti's because their specs are more faithful to the originals, but I know we're only talking fractions of an inch!  Plus I'm sticking with the 8 inch barrel because it's more of a historical thing.  Right now I'm trying to find an outdoor range or some place in the forest to shoot.  Where I'm at, we got indoor ranges open to the public, but I don't think they'll like muzzle loaders being fired indoors.  All the outdoor ranges are membership only and they aren't looking for new members.   

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2015, 12:15:14 PM »
For those who recommend the Piettas, such as Gunslinger9378, G-Dog, and anyone else who I probably forgotten, have you handled the Uberti's?  I'm leaning towards the Uberti's because their specs are more faithful to the originals, but I know we're only talking fractions of an inch!  Plus I'm sticking with the 8 inch barrel because it's more of a historical thing.  Right now I'm trying to find an outdoor range or some place in the forest to shoot.  Where I'm at, we got indoor ranges open to the public, but I don't think they'll like muzzle loaders being fired indoors.  All the outdoor ranges are membership only and they aren't looking for new members.   

Hi pugilist, there are a couple of reasons to go with the Pietta. First, they are lower cost than the Uberti, ~$170 when on sale at Cabellas. The second reason is that you can buy extra cylinders on sale from Cabalas for ~$35 each.

If you want to shoot at indoor ranges you can buy a .45 Colt conversion cylinder for the 1858 for ~$240 from Taylor. I recomend the 6-shot cylinder.

Having said that, while I already own a number Pietta 1858s, a Uberti 1858 is on my wish list for the reasons you state.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015, 11:33:57 PM »
Hi pugilist. I have both Pietta and Uberti Remington NMAs and the Uberti is a bit smaller in the grips than the Pietta. Also have the .36 Pietta and it's the same size in the grips as the .44. The .36 dose fill a little bit heaver than the .44s even with the shorter barrel. I think for you the .44 Uberti would be a good start if the size is a real big deal to you. DGWs has real nice models to chose from.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline pugilist

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2015, 10:49:09 AM »
The closest Cabelas is 125 miles away.  Cabelas online sells extra cylinders for $50.  But how many extra cylinders does one need?  And please don't say "as many as you can carry!"  I'm leaning towards Uberti 8 inch and getting the .45 Colt conversion cylinder, but I really didn't think about getting an extra bp cylinder.  I suppose one as backup would be fine?  I imagined myself either muzzle loading it or making paper cartridges.  How many extra cylinders do you guys have or recommend?       

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2015, 10:53:10 AM »
Hi pugilist, for me...I say 3 Cap & Ball cylinders. I would carry 2 cylinders on my belt and one in the gun.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2015, 01:16:20 PM »
Hi pugilist, I have 12 extra 1858 cap and ball cylinders and 2 1858 .45 Colt conversion cylinders. I preload the extra cylinders with the Tower of Power loading tool and then carry the cylinders to my range for shooting. IMO it's a pita to load the 1858s using the revolver loading lever at the range. You can get Pietta 1858 cap and ball from Cabelas when on sale for $35 with free shipping, but expect to pay at least $85 for extra cylinders for the Uberti.  {?| {?| {?|

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline CrazyOldHermit

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2015, 01:59:49 PM »
A few real world numbers to help you out regarding spare cylinders:

An empty cylinder for one of my Pietta Remmies weighs in at .65 pounds ... with the load I typically use, the weight of a fully loaded cylinder is around  .70 pounds. That should be "close enough for government work" regarding weight.

Figuring some sort of holder to pack them on your belt (I use one of those  leather double pouches for Ruger 10-22 magazines - an appropriately sized revolver speedloader carrier would work as well - or, you could buy or make something specifically designed for the job), you're looking at about an extra pound and a half on the belt to carry a pair of spare cylinders. With one already in the gun, that gives you 18 shots that just need caps to be ready to go. (Whether you carry the spares capped or not is up to your own personal mental comfort zone, or the rules of any range you happen to be shooting on.) If you WANT more, then you can either reload, use paper cartridges, or carry more cylinders.

18 shots is a decent amount with a revolver. The folks I know who carry modern revolvers for defense generally make do with six in the gun, and two speed loaders. Out here on the property, my daily carry piece is a 6 1/2 inch Ruger Blackhawk, and I generally keep an extra 12 -24 rounds handy on my person for it. (I'll add extra rounds if I think I might want to do a little shooting during the day's wandering about.)

For Cowboy Action matches, I have generally been loading up two spare cylinders each for my two Remmies that I use as "main match" revolvers. That carries me through three stages of fire, which means I can reload during the lunch break for the rest of the match. Among other things, that means I can go off by myself and concentrate on avoiding things like ramming a ball down into an otherwise empty chamber. For what it's worth, one of those little, lightweight cylinder loading rigs that Traditions makes has served me quite well so far. It's much easier than loading on the gun, and takes up little space in my range box.

Spare cylinders means a LITTLE extra cleaning at the end of the day. Since for me, the "ritual" of shooting my BP revolvers includes time spent cleaning and inspecting the guns after shooting as part of the overall enjoyment of the experience, it's not really a factor in my eyes. If I want quick and easy, I have the aforementioned Blackhawk to shoot (Although, .41 Magnum ain't cheap).

Start with ONE spare cylinder - with a Remmie, that's almost a given, but I think you'll find two to be a nice balance between added firepower, additional weight, and additional expense with a big increase in the fun factor.
A blackpowder revolver forum may be the only place on the Internet where a guy can discuss shaving tight balls and wrenching on his nipples without any snickering from other users.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2015, 02:15:30 PM »
pugilist -- Just get an eight inch Pietta Rem from Cabelas and go shooting.  Geeze, yur burnin' daylight boy.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 02:38:56 PM by G Dog »
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2015, 07:51:58 PM »
All I have are Pietta Brother's guns with the exception of a euroarms that I need to find time to work on. I have a 8" and a 5.5" Remington pattern in .44 and the 5.5'' is certainly "quicker" at handleing. I got the 8'' first and really do enjoy them both.

It's my thought that there aren't too many shortened examples around because folks likely couldn't afford the smithing fee's to have the job done. Probably some folks of wealth like bankers could afford it, and possibly lawmen and outlaws could afford it as they probably acquired their revolvers through theft or in the case of LEO's of the period, got a gun that belonged to the last fellow to stretch a rope. All they would have to pay were the smithing bill and not that initial purchase price. Also, why shorten a full sized revolver when pocket, vest, and muff pistols were available?

Basically, it would have been a frivelous purchase for most folks when other necessities for daily living took the head of the list. Thats my hypothesis on shortened pistols. They were the exception and not the rule. Either one you decide on will be fun and quite likely pave the way for the next one   (T^.
Nothing expresses Liberty more, than the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.

Offline pugilist

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2015, 10:09:44 AM »
pugilist -- Just get an eight inch Pietta Rem from Cabelas and go shooting.  Geeze, yur burnin' daylight boy.

Getting the Rem isn't a hassle.  The main hassle is finding a place to go shooting.  Sure, there's an indoor range, but they don't allowed ball and cap shooting.  All the outdoor gun ranges are members only and aren't taking new members.  I'm now looking at ranges that are over an hour's drive away.  There is the Shawnee National Forest and I contacted the ranger's office to find a good spot to shoot and all I got was "we do not encourage target shooting in the forest."  What's the use of getting a Remmy if I got no place to shoot it? I suppose I could get a Remmy just to look at it admiringly all day....

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2015, 12:22:14 PM »
Any BLM land around you?  Subject to a few restrictions it is usually legal to shoot on BLM land.  Any friends with some property you could shoot on? 

Even if the National Forest people do not "encourage" shooting on park land it may not be entirely illegal.  Why did they not give you a direct answer?  I doubt that you ask them whether they "encouraged" shooting.

Offline pugilist

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2015, 12:39:44 PM »
No BLM land around me.  I'm in southern Illinois.  I don't know anybody who has enough property to shoot on. 

I emailed the National Forest folks to see if there's any safe areas to shoot.  They replied "our law enforcement doesn't encourage target shooting and I don't know of any areas."  After a couple more emails, they said shooting is allowed, but they don't encourage it because of resource damage, etc.  Finding a spot means I'll have to look over the map and recon it.  Even once I find a safe spot, I don't want to risk an overzealous forest ranger trying to slap me with a huge fine.

I'm still waiting to hear back from one outdoor range that's 1/2 hour away.  Problem is, memberships are yearly and I might be moving in a couple of months, depending if a get a certain job or not.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2015, 02:49:27 PM »
Save that e mail which says 'shooting is allowed' and then go shoot.  What they don't encourage is irrelevant, they can't put you in any trouble if there is no prohibition.  Save that e mail. 

Have you talked to your local Sheriff about this?  Cops sure are not legal experts but do often have some useful advice and suggestions, sometimes. 

A most efficacious  form of 'gun control', ya can have the piece, just can't shoot it anywhere.  I blame the punk assed gang bangers for this gun fear, them and up-scale soccer moms.  Plenty of wussy white guys playin' into this too.

Offline pugilist

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2015, 06:32:42 PM »
Save that e mail which says 'shooting is allowed' and then go shoot.  What they don't encourage is irrelevant, they can't put you in any trouble if there is no prohibition.  Save that e mail.

Thanks G-Dog, that's sound advice.  Don't know why I didn't think of it myself.  I'm probably just over cautious.  Odds are I'll find a safe place in the forest to shoot and the ranger won't even come my way, but if he does, he'll probably be a NRA member.