Photobucket

Author Topic: replace barrels for SSA clones  (Read 1589 times)

Offline 6fingers

replace barrels for SSA clones
« on: March 18, 2015, 04:42:04 PM »
does anyone know, or ever head of 7 1/2 replacement barrels for the myriad of clones out there?  I'd love to have a 7 1/5 barrel .44 Magnum, but I don't believe there is such an animule!

" No thanks, I'm just gonna Whistle Dixie."

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: replace barrels for SSA clones
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 05:11:55 PM »
The 73's don't come in 44 mag. Uberti makes a Callahan in 44 mag but its a Ruger Blackhawk clone.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 06:09:23 PM »
Dear Friends,
            I have serious doubts whether the SA Army Frame would stand up to the pressures of the .44 Magnum Cartridge!  I have always had the opinion that the .44 Magnum round did not have a great many Utilitarian uses.  State Troopers in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and the North & South Dakota Perhaps. Alaska Game and fish Commission Perhaps. Also Alaska Highway Patrol. However, apart from these exceptions, the only other class of person who might make use of it would be someone who was daft enough to go hiking in Grizzly Bear Country, without a high power Rifle!  Since very few people can be steady enough to shoot accurately with a full house load in that caliber, especially if confronted with a heart stopping view of a Pissed Off Grizzly bear coming at one, (And those big bears can cover the first fifty yards, from a standing start, in THREE SECONDS!)  It is doubtful if a man could be cool enough to put that one slug, (He'd never have time for a second shot!) exactly where it was needed!  Even if he DID manage a brain shot, the bear, (And some of 'em weigh about a ton!) would probably crush the man to death purely from the kinetic energy of a One Ton Bear hitting a stationary Human! OUCH!
            I have spoken at length with Dan Haggarty,(Of Grizzly Adams Fame.) and he has told me that the big bears are the most dangerous animals on the North American Continent.  The Big Sow he worked with on the TV show, he had rescued as a tiny cub, when her mother was killed. He knew her, and could judge her moods very well. However he was still very careful when working with her, On some days he would sense that she was not in a very happy mood, and he would refuse to work her those days. He had no wish to DIE! Mr.Haggarty is best know fro working with that Grizzly, but he has a wealth of experience with other wild animals. He has trained about twenty Lions, Tigers, Leopards, Cheetah's and other wild criturs.  He's very laid back. Showing his age now, but still has a very good sense of humor!  A really nice guy!  He is a regular each year at the Glendale Wild West Festival. Always has a wide smile on his face! He has a wealth of knowledge on wild animals.  I'll be asking him next year about Cougars. Mountain Lions.!  I recently visited a Rancher in southern Arizona, and on the wall of their small Museum, was a photograph of his wife, sitting in a garden chair, with a full grown Mountain lion lying across her lap!  The daughter told me that some hunters had shot a Mother Cougar, and they had found the cub before it's eyes opened, and bottle fed it.  I had heard of people dong that with a Bobcat, but not with a Cougar!  I find myself wondering just how tame it wold become?  I don't know how much a mountain lion weighs.  I reckon he'd outweigh me for sure!  Still if I lived W-A-Y out in the willy -Wags, I'd love to have one as a friend!  Maybe it would be safer to begin with a Bobcat?
                                                                                                          Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:07:06 PM by Gunslinger9378 »
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline 6fingers

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 06:55:17 PM »
The 73's don't come in 44 mag. Uberti makes a Callahan in 44 mag but its a Ruger Blackhawk clone.
http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/cartridge-revolvers/1873-single-action-revolver-series/1873-s-a-cattleman-44-mag.html
This cattleman is what I'm curious about.  i know I could go with a blackhawk (and probably will) but I was really wanting a '73 clone as a companion for a Marlin 1894c. 
for the time being though, It's just an academic question.  my main focus is getting my 1858 Remington but you know how it is with gun acquisitions, they're like airplanes. I've got one on appoach and two to three in a holding pattern.;)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 07:15:12 PM »
That's a new one on me. If you just want a 7 1/2 inch barrel you could get one for a 44-40. Modern 44-40 clones use a .429 bore like modern .44's instead of the original .427 bore.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 03:45:02 AM »
  I'll be asking him next year about Cougars. Mountain Lions.!  I recently visited a Rancher in southern Arizona, and on the wall of their small Museum, was a photograph of his wife, sitting in a garden chair, with a full grown Mountain lion lying across her lap!  The daughter told me that some hunters had shot a Mother Cougar, and they had found the cub before it's eyes opened, and bottle fed it.  I had heard of people dong that with a Bobcat, but not with a Cougar!  I find myself wondering just how tame it wold become?  I don't know how much a mountain lion weighs.  I reckon he'd outweigh me for sure!  Still if I lived W-A-Y out in the willy -Wags, I'd love to have one as a friend!  Maybe it would be safer to begin with a Bobcat?
                                                                                                          Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.

I was reading an account of a guy whose family used to have a pet Bobcat. When he was a kid his father came home from a hunting trip with a cute fuzzy little bob tail kitten he'd found in the woods. The family fell in love with it and decided to raise it up. As time went by the kitten just kept getting bigger and bigger. Pretty soon it was beating down all the house cats in the neighborhood. Then it proceeded to chase off all the possums and raccoons that came around at night. As it approached adulthood, it was beating down all the neighbors dogs. The guy said the cat turned out to be the most god awful ornery animal he'd ever seen.
  On the flip side however, if you go to Youtube and search under pet bobcats or pet mountain lions, you can see some videos of people that have successfully raised wild cats as pets. I'd love to try raising a bobcat but it's not allowed in my state and it would probably be best to live on a remote ranch where the kitty couldn't cause the neighbors to hate you.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline GrayFox

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 10:41:38 AM »
If you're looking for the SAA style in a revolver that is strong enough for safe .44 Mag use, find an original full size Ruger vaquero in either blue or polished stainless in 7.5".  I have a pair of them in .45 Colt in high polish stainless in 4 5/8 that will take loads and heavy as I'm foolish enough to attempt to shoot. 

I shot these for 10 years in cowboy action matches partnered with an early Rossi '92 in .45 Colt.  And, no, I had now problems with the rifle other than normal break in issues.

I recently had a situation similar to your situation.  I found a newly manufactured Rossi '92 in .44 Mag (very nice fit and finish)  and then had to find a revolver.  I found one of the seldom produced Blued Ruger Super Blackhawks in 4 5/8" with a polished steel Blackhawk grip frame and round trigger guard.  Heavy, but nice to shoot.  One of these would be a good fit for you, too.
GF

Offline Omnivore

• Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 03:39:43 PM »
As a matter of general principle, it wouldn't be all that much more complicated to start with any .429" barrel blank (available at any of the big parts retailers) and thread it, profile it, and fit it to your gun.  Being that you'd need pretty much the same skill set to ensure proper cylinder gap, sight alignment and so on even starting with a factory replacement barrel, starting with a generic barrel blank isn't really all that much more intensive.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 03:48:59 PM »
Back in the 70's and 80's JP Saur made the Hawes SAA type revolvers in 44 Mag.  I had a Silver City Marshal in 44 Mag that had nickel plated frame, blue barrel & cylinder and brass BS/TG.  There are a couple of Hawes Western Marshal 44 mag revolvers on GunBroker right now for not much money.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline 6fingers

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 10:03:15 PM »
Back in the 70's and 80's JP Saur made the Hawes SAA type revolvers in 44 Mag.  I had a Silver City Marshal in 44 Mag that had nickel plated frame, blue barrel & cylinder and brass BS/TG.  There are a couple of Hawes Western Marshal 44 mag revolvers on GunBroker right now for not much money.
how's replacement parts and general repair for something like that?

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 04:13:13 PM »
It's been years since I had it.  IIRC, they're a Colt clone except for the hammer.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce