Photobucket

Author Topic: Wedgie Oops  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
Wedgie Oops
« on: March 12, 2015, 09:01:50 PM »
Oh, geeze, speaking of HH's FB page, don't let Johnnie see this one:

I'm pretty sure nothing will show unless you are also signed in to Facebook.
So if you open another tab, sign into FB, then refresh this page  M__
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Electric Miner

• Forum Legend
Re: Wedgie Oops
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 09:21:56 PM »
I'm signed into facebook and still nothing.
Navy Veteran
American Legion Member
NRA member

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 10:45:36 PM »
Well, rather than us fighting the 'net and its quirks, go directly to HH's FB page.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cartridge-Conversion-Revolvers/726097890808536

As he posts more stuff, the photo will slide back in time.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 01:47:45 PM »
Dear Friends,
            I saw nothing about the very interesting site, that would give me cause to comment un-favorably!(Which Classanr so kindly gave a link to!!!) The man appears to do excellent work, for those that are interested in Cartridge Conversions!! Speaking personally, I am NOT interested in such things, enough to make such a project viable for me, I would then need to purchase a reloading Press, Powder Dropper, Scales, and a reloading Manual because I have long forgotten what loads I used in my .44-40 Colt Clones, and my 1873 Replica Winchester in the same caliber!!!! To say noting of the various cans of Powders such as Unique, or WW 630 etc!
            I also consider that with my multiple Cylinders, which I can usually change to a fresh one in roughly ten seconds, I can do a much faster reload than a man armed with an 1873 Peacemaker for example.  I believe that there are a few very talented persons, who CAN shuck five empties from the SA Army, and recharge the cylinder, in a remarkably short space of time, but these persons are in the minority, and have usually altered their guns in a way that most of us "Ordinary," persons, cannot either afford to do, or do not have the manual dexterity to do themselves!  One would need not only the wherewithall, (Hard Cash!) but the special tools, and the engineering Knowledge!
            I have been aware since before I joined this Forum, that these, "Conversion Cylinders," existed! But even as I purchased my First Sheriff's Model, I saw no reason to really WANT one!  I knew beforehand, that I would purchase extra cylinders as time progressed, and also knew that I would be able to change an empty cylinder for a fresh loaded one, far more quickly that even one of those talented Western Gentlemen, who are usually Western Showmen, in semi-professional Show Business, could reload a SA
Colt Army!  I admire their dexterity, and expertise, but see no reason, or desire, to go to the trouble to emulate them!  Now for those of you who already HAVE reloading Presses, and the necessary dies to reload .45 Long Colt, then to have such a conversion cylinder would doubtless be a sensible addition to your possessions!
            Like the character in the play, (And Movie?) "Fiddler On The Roof," I am a Poor Man!!  Over the past four years I have managed to accumulate enough tools and little gadjets, to shoot and reload my Remington Replica's, and to be able to shoot fairly regularly!  I have also managed to build up a reasonable amount of Powder,Balls, and caps, should a National or even Statewide Disaster come to pass! (God Forbid.)  When out and about, I try and follow the advice that as been offered on this Forum, by DD4life, to be continually aware of what is going on around me.  He shortened the advice to two words. "Situational Awareness!"
My very first Police Boss, in the USA, gave me the same advice. He too was a Former Marine!  So I try and be as prepared as any other Geriatric Old Phart can be.  Which may not be enough, but I do try and do the things I CAN STILL DO!  Running is no longer one of them, as my knees are SHOT!  But I can still walk quite well, and I sometimes (Out in the desert!) lie down and shoot, (Being very careful not to lie down near where there are any Cholla outcrops!)  I also lie down near to the car, because I cannot get up easily, unless I have something to grab a hold of, to help me get vertical again! (Getting Old Sucks!)
            You can laugh, but ever since the age of Seven, I have always tried to sit in a Public Place, FACING the door!  This was because for my seventh Birthday, a Maternal Aunt, gave me a book entitled, "Such Outlaws as Jesse James."  In War time England,
book Production was not a top priority, and the book was printed on coarse paper, and was not of Good Quality.  I now know that many of the "Facts," written of therein were exaggerated, but a lot of it, I now know, were very true.  "Wild Bill Hickok," became a sort of Hero to me, and I even prevailed upon my mother to buy me a second Cap Pistol, and altered a second (Plastic!) Holster, so I could wear the second gun on my left side, so I could be,"Like Wild Bill!" Being at that time, largely "Educated by Hollywierd," it was some time before I found out that for most of his exploits, Wild Bill carried a pair of Percussion revolvers.  One fact about Hickok was that he did have an uncanny co-ordination of Hand & Eye.  He could stand midway between two telegraph poles, Facing sideways between them, glance at both of them, and then draw both pistols simultaenously, fire so the two shots sounded as one, and place a ball square into BOTH poles at waist height!  I have read somewhere that telegraph poles are always placed the same distance apart. That they are STILL placed the same distance apart today!  I'm guess ing here, But I think that distance would be someting like 75 to 100 yards apart!  If I am close. then HIckok ws able to hit two targets at the same time one from each pistol, at a range of between 37.5 and 50 yards!  That is INCREDIBLE shooting.  He was never lothe to demonstrate his abilities either.  One day in Kansas City, before several witnesses who were themselves no strangers to revolver handling, he stepped into the street, and drawing his right hand gun, fired five shots diagonally across the street. He then drew the second gun left handed, and fired five more shots. Then he told someone to go to the SALOON SIGN on a saloon across the street, and to look at the O's in the sign. The person returned to say that there were ten fresh bullet holes in one of the O's of the word, Saloon!  Old maps have confirmed the distance to be roughly 100 yards.  Now addmittedly the O in the word was quite likely 30" across.  How many of you would like to try and hit a Bicycle wheel at one hundred yard?  Off-Hand! Duelisst Fashion????? Wyatt Earp, who was one of the witnesses, (And who usually only blew his OWN TRUMPET!) said the HIckok held the guns, with his arms slightly bent, and with the pistol at about waist height! 
            In modern times, the only two people who I have knowledge of, who could approach Hickok for dexterity with a handgun, are the Late Ed McGivern, and the Late William Henry (Bill.) Jordan, who I had the privilege to meet in his home, in 1981 in Shreveport. LA. I have been told, of a young man, Thell Reed, who could do wierd and wonderfull things with both SA Colts AND the Slab-Sided Varmint!  Both in speed and accuracy!  His Dad was probably one Hell of a shot too, because I think Thell used to give his Dad credit for his own abilities.  If he's still with us, Thell would be not far off my age now!  Elmer Keith wrote an article on Thell Reed in an issue of "Guns & Ammo," back in the very early 1960's.  Bob Munden who recently passed on, also could do phenomenal things with a handgun.  Shots as good as the aforementioned gunmen, don't come around very often!  Most of us can recall pulling off a REALLY good shot once or twice in our lives, but the men who can do it CONSISTENTLY, are very few and far between!
                                                                                                          Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 02:00:11 PM by Gunslinger9378 »
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 03:07:39 PM »
 M__

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 03:29:40 PM »
It’s useful to see photos of the occasional mishap.  In addition to being downright interesting to see (from a sort of voyeuristic angle) it helps keep us conscious … which naturally leads to further efforts toward safety. 

So then, the guy finished the match with the same piece reassembled, no one hurt, no busted grill, no maculated eyeballs … a happy denouement.  A deal like that could go badly south in a real hurry.

Yep, that man HH does beautiful work.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 03:47:53 PM by G Dog »
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.