Author Topic: Snub  (Read 5726 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
Snub
« on: March 10, 2015, 04:58:28 AM »
Hi, if you are dying to destroy and turn a perfectly good 1858 Remington into a snub, here you go:

IMO hacksaws should be illegal!!  ;) ;) ;)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Snub
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 09:09:09 AM »
Richard, if one is wanting a snubbie, then why not make it yourself? I know it is hard to actually take a hacksaw to a gun, but I have done it twice now. As far as barrels being "glued" (?) in the frame, I have never seen it. They are a "crush" fit though and sometimes hard to budge. I do have an old lathe so I was able to true up the muzzle end with it. I used the grip positioning hole itself to drill the pin hole. Otherwise, pretty much as Mike describes. Cylinder arbor retention....many ways to skin a cat. My snubbie, seen before, built from a kit:

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 11:25:40 AM »
IMO hacksaws should be illegal!!  ;) ;) ;)

Regards,
Richard

Whoa, BATFE already banned the marriage of hacksaws and shotguns, claiming the runt offspring were a deadly class of citizen.  Let's not get them to thinking about the "dangers" of dwarf Remingtons.  Um, make that "size-challenged."

As for cylinder retention, OSF now has a very easy solution.
As Johnny I think suggested, a brasser snubby could be the idea Snaker Gun.  He'd gladly cut up brassers  (?^
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 12:24:13 PM »
My arbor retention thingy is very similar to OSFs. Personally, I don't like the idea of having to have an Allen wrench or screwdriver along just to be able to reload the cylinder. I tried a spring loaded pin/detent for that, but either it was too stiff to open without prying the pin with a knife blade, or not enough tension and it would drop down. The screw idea is a very simple method to use though.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 12:32:33 PM »
Hi Classanr, IMO Howell has an even better solution, see:

http://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/1858Remingtoncylinderquickrelease.aspx

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 02:37:47 PM »
If Mike B. would have used a headless set screw instead of that socket head cap screw, there would have been no need to trim off the front of the frame. In my opinion it would have looked a little cleaner too.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 03:04:41 PM by Yolla Bolly Brad »
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 06:44:45 PM »
Hi Classanr, IMO Howell has an even better solution, see:

http://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/1858Remingtoncylinderquickrelease.aspx

Regards,
Richard

That is the very item to which I was referring  {?|  I have three, and extol their machine work and finish.
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline BGRooster1

• Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 09:42:59 PM »
Every now and then I remember something worth remembering.http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php?topic=942.0
This is one that looks like it will work for a long time.
Maj.Bull S. Hitter on the CAS forum

Better to ask forgiveness.Than to beg permission

Cap & Ball revolvers are like Lay's potato chips , you can't have just one!!

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 08:09:20 AM »
Yes, that will work very well. I do like OSFs version and mine closely resembles that. It has a coil spring pushing down from the top.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 05:12:24 AM »
Hi, and the destruction of a perfectly good 1858 continues, oh the humanity:

Regards,
Richard

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 07:46:20 PM »
Richard, Richard, why are you torturing yourself like this? There are those of us who march to the beat of a different drummer. I don't have as many Remmies as some of you, but I have 4-5 stock examples. When I got the old unassembled kit I decided to do something "different" in putting it together. It was a bit challenging to be able to actually modify the gun with mostly hand tools. OK, I do have a drill press and also an old metal lathe, but there was no blueprint or step-by-step instructions. I did have a picture of an old, original, period-made snubbie and tried to make mine look somewhat like it. This was a somewhat common blacksmith made gun in the time; I have heard that several were made using only a HACKSAW and FILE!

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 05:16:13 PM »
Dear Friends,
            One of the ways in which I, "Justify," myself,(Being a staunch 19th. Century Man.) carrying the Sheriff's Models, is that I KNOW, the the Ingenuity of Man Being What It Is, I KNOW that some Men in the period 1860 t0 1880 MUST have devised ways and means, of making these Revolvers easier to carry without being obvious when wearing a jacket or light coat!  Sheriff's Deputies, Well Fargo Messengers, Constables, Pinkerton Men, Pony Express Riders, Wagon Masters, and even off duty City Police Officers.  Many of these men do exactly the same thing today, although in this day and age, a bewildering assortment of often totally unsuitable weapons are available! As witness the reply given to a Lady Federal Officer, who asked Jeff Cooper's opinion, on a .25 Auto she was considering buying! Mr. Coopers reply was a classic!
            He said to the lady, "Carry one by all means, if it makes you feel better! However DO NOT try and shoot anyone with it.  For it is possible you may hit them, and this could make them very angry with you, and then they may do YOU serious harm!" I always admired the way in which Jeff Cooper, could put someone firmly in their place, let everyone within earshot see what an idiotic question had been asked, yet do it without being rude to the Idiot!  Under certain specific circumstances, the .25 Auto Will kill efficiently!  As witness the Green River Killer, who murdered a lot of Prostitutes with such a gun,during His reign of Terror in the Pacific Norhwest! If you, and an unsuspecting woman, are the only occupants in an automobile, if you keep your head, it is easy to place the muzzle of a .25 Auto to the woman's head, and kill her instantly with one shot!  If all the car windows are shut, it is doubtful if the report of such a small caliber gun would be heard, if the killer chose a moment when he was on a deserted stretch of road.
            In this day and age, some quite small weapons are made in calibers that are known to "Speak With Authority!" There are short Barreled revolvers made to shoot .357 Magnum Cartridges.  and Charter Arms used to make their Bulldog Revolver in .44 Caliber! I am unsure if this company is still in business? 
            Unfortunately for Our Particular Hobby, Black Powder revolvers are more efficient when they have barrels of five to six inches in length.  I cannot remember if our Friend Richard ever shot my PDL through his 8" barreled revolver.  If he did do so, then I suspect that he probably got about 200 fps. faster than with the Sheriff's model.  (Which would have been about 1150 fps!)  So a 3.5" barrel may only have obtained as little as 500+ fps?  Even with a .44 Cal. Round Ball, that, (Depending on where it hit someone?) may not be a decisive Man Stopper?  However, most criminals who assault other people on the street, on in retail businesses, are basically cowards!  And even brave men would much rather not be shot with ANY caliber!  As we see from the entries published by the NRA each month in their, "Armed Citizen," examples, the mere production of a weapon by the person threatened, is often enough to send the would be robbers running for the door!
                                                                                                          Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 08:46:02 PM »
Hi Johnnie, based on previous testing I would expect your loading to do ~800fps from a 3" snub, not too shabby, see:
http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=7745.msg121604#msg121604

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 10:42:52 AM »
Hi, Mike's snub project continues:

Regards,
Richard

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 09:46:01 AM »
Great video! I do like that front sight.  (T^
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!