Photobucket

Author Topic: A 2nd Tower Pistol.  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Electric Miner

• Forum Legend
A 2nd Tower Pistol.
« on: March 02, 2015, 02:47:58 PM »
Stopped by the local gun shop to see what they had in the case. They had a used Pietta 1858 with 5.5" barrel. Great shape, but they wanted new Cabela's price for it.

They also had a Jukar-made CVA Tower Pistol in the case for less than $40. Now I have a matched pair...

The new Tower Pistol...

The other Tower Pistol...

They aren't quite the same, though. Anyone spot the major difference?
Navy Veteran
American Legion Member
NRA member

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: A 2nd Tower Pistol.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 03:04:19 PM »
Your new one came with a ram.

Under forty bucks?  Come on, something that cool never happens. 

Kidding and congrats!

Under forty Bucks?? {:(
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Electric Miner

• Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 03:18:47 PM »
The old one came with a ram, too. I tjust wasn't in place in the photo. Try again.
Navy Veteran
American Legion Member
NRA member

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 03:26:59 PM »
The structure where the cone goes, on the older one there is a structure below the cone.  Like about where the pan would be if it were a flinter.

Don't have the nomenclature here to describe it but you know what Ima talkin about.

Beautiful score for you, bet it flat made your day.  Again, congratulations on one hella good deal.  You must be living right to have that happen.
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Electric Miner

• Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 03:29:54 PM »
Yep, the snail/drum is different, and the lock plate is different. But the average person probably won't notice that.
Navy Veteran
American Legion Member
NRA member

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 11:27:29 AM »
Miner, Heck of a deal for less than $40 Bucks! Good job finding that.  (T^
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 03:02:59 PM »
Dear Friends,
            The TRUE Tower Pistols, the ones with the Brown Bess Flintlock Lock, were either .69 or .79 cal, and you couldn't lose the ramrod, because it was attached to the gun with one of those swizel deals!  I have seen them in Both the Tower of London Museum in the White Tower, and the Royal Armoury at Windsor Castle!  Apparently the British Government were aware that nervouse Greenie Soldiers could drop the ramrod in fright, during the heat of conflict, and so they made 'em so they couldn't drop 'em!
            In both these places, while it was frowned upon, it was possible to take a pistol from the rack, and heft it to get the feel of what it must have been like to use it in combat.  It was One Heavy Son-of-a-Gun! I have the impression that it weighed between four to five pounds!  Which I must admit, would have helped to cushion the recoil of a .79 Ball!  Maybe that's why they called them "Horse Pistols?"  Took a horse to carry a brace of them!
                                                                                                          Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Electric Miner

• Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 06:24:29 PM »
Took it apart this afternoon to see the insides. With the exceptional fit and finish, this was either factory built, or built by someone who gave a darn about the end result. Besides discover the inside of the lock needs cleaned, I discovered it has an adjustable sear/trigger, which I did not expect.

Navy Veteran
American Legion Member
NRA member

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 07:45:21 PM »
The 'swizel deal's' are known as a bridled ramrod aren't they? Seems this term sticks with me, but I could be wrong. Seems that alot of the British martial pistols have them, does anybody know if they were a design for Dragoons so that they didn't drop their rammers while mounted?

Saw the bolsterd difference but was too late to get the answer down. LOL!! Story of my life, a day late and a dollar short!  ->i

Neat stuff Mr Miner! A brace of horse pistols!!
Nothing expresses Liberty more, than the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.