Author Topic: taurus judge  (Read 2050 times)

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
taurus judge
« on: February 19, 2015, 05:45:14 PM »
i'm looking at a 3"chamber 3"barrel taurus judge...

whats yalls opinions on them?
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: taurus judge
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 07:00:58 PM »
I have shot them and I like them. They are about $530 here at my pawnshop.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 06:41:11 PM »
im getting this one for $300... _l
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 07:03:15 PM »
Bruce, that is a great price.  (T^
Post some photos up when you can!  (T^

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 08:09:56 PM »
Here come da Judge, here come da Judge!
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 03:25:37 PM »
Hey Bruce, is it the Blued one or the SS one?

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 08:49:53 PM »
it was blued, deal fell through

was getting it for the girlfriend to keep in her car, but she says its just too big.

/L&
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 09:27:50 PM »
How many times does a woman ever utter those words?  :)
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 05:51:10 AM »
guy dropped the price to $250, she bought it.

this thing is comically huge! it reminds me of a cartoon gun! next time im at her place i'll get some pics of it

i dont see this thing lasting long in her house, shes like me, she sees $$$ and things find new homes. i give it a week
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline Omnivore

• Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 06:58:15 PM »
The Judge has been (ahem) controversial since its introduction.  While some thought it was a fantastic idea, it has been an object of ridicule among the gun blogs for years.  The idea of making the cylinder so long, so you can use the smallest shotgun shell (intended for doves and such) in a rifled barrel, did seem rather odd to me.

Col. Jeff Cooper said it best, years ago; since we've had perfectly suitable smallarms for decades (and that was back in the 1960s or so) the problem for the manufacturer today is one of marketing-- He must talk you out of being satisfied with the perfectly good guns you already have, so he can convince you that you need something new.

For myself I'd rather have a shorter cylinder for 45 Colt without the shotgun option, and another inch or so of barrel in a shorter frame.  Maybe Taurus will "invent" one of those, based on the Judge, and call it a "slug gun".  Don't laugh.

Then there's the question of the quality of Taurus revolvers.  I have a Taurus model 85 (38 Spec 5-shot snubbie) DAO and it's worked fine for thousands of rounds, but people I know in the retail business say they return more Taurus revolvers than anything else, due to problems in workmanship.

If you get a Judge that works consistently, and it fits you OK, and you like it, and you don't mind lugging it around, then obviously it'll do.  The ammo manufacturers have come up with defense loads in 410 shotty just for the Judge, and for the later S&W Circuit Court Judge or whatever it is they call it, so even in .410 you now have reasonable options for defense rounds (though they are spendy).  Just be sure to test your loads to see how they pattern and whatnot before trusting them.

Much of what we see in the gun industry amounts to what I call "Political Creations" in that it is the result of legal infringements against the second amendment.  The Judge is one example.  You can't sell a short barreled shotgun that fires "fixed ammunition" (modern cartridges) without triggering the NFA nonsense, but you CAN sell a regular, rifled handgun that shoots full bore-sized bullets AND takes shot shells.  Such a thing has been around in 22 rimfire forever, and also there are the shotshells that Speer and others make for 38 Special and other calibers as "snake loads".

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 08:09:23 PM »
The Judge has been (ahem) controversial since its introduction.  While some thought it was a fantastic idea, it has been an object of ridicule among the gun blogs for years.  The idea of making the cylinder so long, so you can use the smallest shotgun shell (intended for doves and such) in a rifled barrel, did seem rather odd to me.

Col. Jeff Cooper said it best, years ago; since we've had perfectly suitable smallarms for decades (and that was back in the 1960s or so) the problem for the manufacturer today is one of marketing-- He must talk you out of being satisfied with the perfectly good guns you already have, so he can convince you that you need something new.

For myself I'd rather have a shorter cylinder for 45 Colt without the shotgun option, and another inch or so of barrel in a shorter frame.  Maybe Taurus will "invent" one of those, based on the Judge, and call it a "slug gun".  Don't laugh.

Then there's the question of the quality of Taurus revolvers.  I have a Taurus model 85 (38 Spec 5-shot snubbie) DAO and it's worked fine for thousands of rounds, but people I know in the retail business say they return more Taurus revolvers than anything else, due to problems in workmanship.

If you get a Judge that works consistently, and it fits you OK, and you like it, and you don't mind lugging it around, then obviously it'll do.  The ammo manufacturers have come up with defense loads in 410 shotty just for the Judge, and for the later S&W Circuit Court Judge or whatever it is they call it, so even in .410 you now have reasonable options for defense rounds (though they are spendy).  Just be sure to test your loads to see how they pattern and whatnot before trusting them.

Much of what we see in the gun industry amounts to what I call "Political Creations" in that it is the result of legal infringements against the second amendment.  The Judge is one example.  You can't sell a short barreled shotgun that fires "fixed ammunition" (modern cartridges) without triggering the NFA nonsense, but you CAN sell a regular, rifled handgun that shoots full bore-sized bullets AND takes shot shells.  Such a thing has been around in 22 rimfire forever, and also there are the shotshells that Speer and others make for 38 Special and other calibers as "snake loads".

everyone tends to forget why the judge came along. the judge wasnt the first, the thunder five was, also cobray has been making single and double barrel derringers that chamber .410/45colt since the early 90's. the judge is intended to be a defensive weapon, that's all it is, it is not a 50 yard target pistol, hell its not even a 12.5 yard target pistol, its a "get the hell off me" gun. made to do as much damage at real world defensive range (less than 20 feet) as possible. the rifling in the judge is shallow, it was designed that way to help control the spread of shot coming out of it therefore it wont shoot .45colt accurately at more than a few yards, its not designed for that but it will hit center mass at 20feet just like it was designed to do. my recommended load is the winchester super X 000 3" mag buckshot, 1135 fps with (5) .36cal 70grn lead balls in a straight line so it is very accurate out to 25 yards hitting all pellets inside of a  a 5" circle (think size of a human heart and lungs). powderful as hell too considering 12ga 000 buck is 9 36cal pellets at 1335 fps, i would say the judge is about half of a 12ga shotgun and 5X of a .38spl.

on quality, taurus sells nearly 5X as many civilian owned guns as colt, ruger, glock and smith so if they have twice as many guns go back as any one of those, they are doing quite well. don't forget the unlimited lifetime warranty, send it back they fix it for free and send it back to you, no questions asked. what's the colt, smith, glock and ruger warranty again?

the judge reminds me of the hi points, hated only by those who have never owned one...
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 07:50:20 AM »
What about the Taurus Judge with the 6" barrels?
Are these good for, say...75 yards?

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 11:08:55 AM »
What about the Taurus Judge with the 6" barrels?
Are these good for, say...75 yards?

possibly with .45/410 slugs but remember the rifling is so light the bullet barely engages it. i dunno, never fired one...
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 11:14:37 AM »
Bruce, I didn't know the barrels were light in rifling. Really, I never "LOOKED" in the barrels.
The pawnshop here in Portageville, MO. has a few of these Taurus Judge...I'll have to remember to look at the rifling next time I'm here there(or when Kimmy doesn't KNOW that I'm in there! Heh!).

Offline Palehorseman

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 08:07:20 PM »
Wife has the 3" cylinder with 3" bbl in blue steel.  She sleeps with it under her pillow, so I don't argue with her at bed time.  She really likes it, with triple ought buck she can keep a can bouncing out to about 15 yards, surprised the heck out of me the pistol was that capable.  Oh, and the Wife is 75 years young.