Author Topic: ruger cylinder  (Read 1391 times)

Offline frontloader

ruger cylinder
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:11:49 AM »
hello folks, sitting here waiting on the rain to stop. and wondering if anybody could give me the conversion cylinder dimensions of the ruger old army. such as cyl dia, cyl length,  thickness of outside chamber wall, chamber to chamber and chamber to cyl pin. 45 colt of course. do they make a 45 acp cylinder? I have a collection of revolver cylinder dimensions if anyone wants any. bp and smokeless....thanks........frontloader 

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: ruger cylinder
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:18:12 AM »
Hang in there frontloader, someone will jump in and help ya out.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline frontloader

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 09:19:08 AM »
how ya doing sam!!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 09:26:08 AM »
I'm doing pretty good here.  ;)

You?
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline frontloader

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 09:51:07 AM »
im doing great friend!

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 12:54:19 PM »
Dear FrontLoader,
            I am sorry I cannot help you out with any Dimensions info, but how about asking On-Line!  Maybe Ruger have a Web-Site, and a place where information may be accessed?  Just a thought!
            I tend to stick to Remington's, because I am basically a 19th. Century man, However I notice that the Ruger seems to be very "Remington Like," in it's design,which proves that Modern engineers, such as the ones at Sturm Ruger,ALSO think the Remington was ahead of it's time!
                                      Have a Nice Day!                       Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Omnivore

• Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 03:26:36 PM »
...I am basically a 19th. Century man...

Ah HAH!  So you WERE born prior to 1888, which, as you said elsewhere, is the year you got Betsy and Clementine.  We're on to you now, Buddy.   :P

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 05:29:23 PM »
Dear Omnivore,
            f I ever did type that I was born in 1888, it sure as Hell was a typo!  That would make me 127 years old.  My Dad was born in 1896, and my Mom in !898!  They were 40 and 38 years old respectively, when I was born in 1936!  So when I got Betsy & Clementine in 1988, I was 52 years of age!  However in Britain, I did start to get interested in Black Powder Shooting. I got my first Pistol, (The Thrice Accursed 1860 Army!!!) in the very early 1960's. I think i was about 25 to 27 years of age. I managed to get some Powder, off ticket from a likewise minded Lawless friend, and since I have ALWAYS believed in Good Hearty Loads, and being as the Colt design has serious drawbacks, it soon, "Shot Loose!"  So I went to the guy I had gotten it from, and he put me in touch with a guy named Bernie Fogan, who lived north of London in a place called,"Welwyn Garden City! I called this guy, he gave me directions, and I got on my Pedal Bike, and rode the 35 odd miles to Bernies House!  The first thing I noticed inside the hallway, was a Stetson Hat on his hallstand.  I asked him if he ever wore the hat.  He replied, "Oh we all wear them up at the club!  I almost grabbed him by the shirtfront as I demanded, "WHAT CLUB???
            And that was how I came to learn of the , Colt Combat & Fast Draw Section, of the Marylebone Rifle and Pistol Club.  Wednesday night was apparently when the CC&FDS met, so after another long bike ride a few days later, I haltingly entered the premises of the Rifle & Pistol Club,An was overwhelmed to find guys wearing all manner of sidearms, (All Old West Style Guns!) and wearing Jeans, Sirts with western Poppers on them etc! (They were at this time, only a little less Green than I was!)  The Leading Light of the club, ws a guy called Roy Liddiard, (Alias: Roy Montana!) who was I'd say in his late forties at that time.  Apart from his Buscader Belt and holster, and his Western Blue Denim Shirt, (With snaps!) He looked pretty good!  At that time, it was EXTREMELY difficult to get ANY 19th.Century clothing in Britain. Hollywierd wasn't helping either, as the 1950's movies were..................Well you all know better than I!
            I confided in Roy that the Colt 1860 was as Illegal as Hell, and he grinned at me, and said that half the guys in the club had guns that were "Off-Ticket," and that not to worry, he'd get me some .44 balls, some Powder and some caps! Which is when I began to HATE COLT PERCUSSION REVOLVERS!  A hatred that has lasted for over 50 years! 
            I had been a member of the club for about six months, when a nice young man joined, and fetched with him an 1858 Remington Revolver.  I had never handled one before, and I watched him as he loaded it, and then put on ear muffs to
try her out.  I was expecting to see him go through the agonies I had suffered, as cap after spent cap fell into the works, and I was fingering my Dental Tool, to be able to go to his rescue!  To my UTTER AMAZEMENT, six loud shots rang out, and at 20 yards he had quite a respectable group on the target!  I asked if I could look at the gun!  He handed it to me, and I asked him how the cylinder came out. He showed me, and I at once looked to see where the hammer hit the caps! As soon as I saw that narrow slot in the recoil shield, that the nose of the hammer had to come through before hitting the caps, I at once saw the vast superiority of the Remington design!.  I was fortunate in finding a big enough fool to by my 1860 ColtArmy, and with the money thus obtained, and since I was now the holder of a Firearm Certificate, went to Messrs. Cogswell & Harrison of Piccadilly, and bought my first Remington Revolver!  I have never looked back!     
            Mainly because I cannot afford a modern Self Reciprocating Pistol, or any type of Modern gun that I would not be ashamed to be seen with, and having a vested interest in continuing to live to an even riper age that I have so far accomplished, I carry one of my Remington for Self Defense. It is vital in a weapon that is carried for self protecton, that it be very reliable. In a nutshell, it MUST go BOOM, EVERY SINGLE TIME THE TRIGGER IS PRESSED!  Nothing else will do.  A Colt
Style open top frme revolver will not meet this standard, unless certain rather expensive modifications are carried out to the pistol!  Modicications that would take tools that I do not possess, and skills I do not have either!  If one loads and cleans ones Remington Revolvers, in a certain way, and if one is METICULOUS, And do it the SAME WAY EVERY SINGLE TIME, your
Remington will always go boom every time you press the trigger!  One cannot guarantee this with the Colt Style Pistol. Sooner or later, (And usually sooner!) a spent cap will fall back as the hammer is cocked, and you will fail to notice it! Now if you just shoot Black Powder revolvers as a Pastime, and just carry empty guns to the range, load them there, shoot at targets for pure fun, and when you have finished, go home with empty guns, clean them, and put them away until the next time, that is just Fine and Dandy!
            In my case, I am a Geriatric Old Phart, but I am a FEISTY Geriatric Old Phart!  I don't like people walking all over me,
and I am no longer in a physical Condition to defend myself as in days of Yore, with the, "Manly Art of Self Defence!" ie: Fisticuffs!  The average 15 year old punk could make a real mess of me, and at my age this would be most unpleasant!  I
would also feel very upset, if I saw a lady being assaulted by some Maggot, and I was unable to DO ANYTHING to assist her!
I would rather DIE, than to have to live again in England!  There is NO SUCH THING as a British CITIZEN!  All Englishmen are
BRITISH SUBJECTS!!  SUBJECT to the will of The Crown, whether they like it or not!  Britain does not have a written Constitution!  Here in the USA, I am a FREE MAN!  Which is more than any Englishman can say, who is a resident in that country!
                    GOD BLESS AMERICA!                                    Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!