Photobucket

Author Topic: Capping  (Read 3335 times)

Offline r5868

• ANZAC SONS
Capping
« on: February 11, 2015, 06:44:54 AM »
I was at the range today with our school group and one of our "top" black powder shooters was adjusting his Remington's sights. I watched him load five chambers and proceed to the line. He fired two shots at his target and then went and got his capper to cap off the rest of the nipples. I don't know if this is standard practice for him or he didn't think, but I'm definitely not going to stand beside him at our next BP pistol competition.
Kerry

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Re: Capping
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 07:15:25 AM »
Our range only allows you to cap at the line. I generally load all six, then cap at the line before shooting.
Sounds to me like he's forgetful or distracted.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Omnivore

• Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 06:24:28 PM »
Did he try to fire more than the two capped chambers?  I.e. did he get a "click" instead of the bang he was expecting, because of a failure to cap?  That would answer the question of whether his partial capping was intentional.

There is an extensive article, referenced several times in this forum and others, in which the author describes in detail his attempts to determine the cause of chainfire.  He says he was able to initiate chainfire from the front with some regularity, even while using grease over the ball, but was unable to initiate a single chainfire from the back by leaving nipples un-capped.

Anyone concerned should read the article.   I believe you'll find it by searching the term "clean loading" with reference to cap and ball revolvers.  If anyone has ever scientifically disproven the author's findings, or even so much as attempted to do so, I have not heard of it. (I'm assuming that the reason for saying you'd not stand next to that guy is because of a possibility of chainfire from an un-capped, charged chamber. Forgive me if I assume too much)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 07:23:50 PM »
I have tried to make one chain from the rear by capping one nipple at a time and never could get a chain that way.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline r5868

• ANZAC SONS
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 11:45:48 PM »
Yes Omni, it was in case of a chainfire.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 04:24:57 PM »
Dear Friends,
            Our respected Friend, Smokin_gun has one revolver that has a slightly damaged nipple, and this gun, will chain fire if the adjacent chamber fires, and the cap has come off the damaged nipple! I beieve that Smokin_Gunsaid that the cylinder was an original,and the offending nipple "Frozen in place!"  However I stand to be corrected on this!  I have only ever had ONE chainfire, and that was a doozy!  FOUR chambers went off, but this was definitely MY FAULT, as it was the second time I fired the "Thriced Accursed 1860 ARMY!"  They chainfired from the FRONT! Because I was using some spherical Fishing weights for balls, and fishing weights have a hole bored through them!  The first six I had loaded with the holes cross-wise to the bore, and had patched them 'A la' Muzzle-loading rifle! When I reloaded, I found I did not have any more cloth to patch the balls with! The result was a slightly longer and louder BOOOOM as the trigger was pressed!  The four chambers went of in the correct order, with the fourth fishing weight spread over the end of the rammer!  My friend Derek, who was waiting his turn to have a shot with the gun, Said "F--k That!" and walked away!  Strangely enough,  the remaining two shots fired as they should have! In defense of my Stupidity, I can only say it was the very first time I had ever fired a percussion Revolver!
            As you all know, my love affair with the Colt Style revolver died a-borning, as the character of the gun became more clear to me!  Upon being introduced to the vastly superior design of the Remington Revolver, I prayed earnestly that the Good Lord would provide me a big enough Fool to buy the 1860 from me.  The Lord Kindly provided such a man, and with the money, plus a few extra Pounds, (Sterling!) I went to Messrs Cogswell & Harrison of Piccadilly, London, where I purchased my very first Remington Percussion Revolver!......................I have Never Looked Back!!!
                                                                                                          Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 04:32:45 PM by Gunslinger9378 »
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 06:29:51 AM »

I prayed earnestly that the Good Lord would provide me a big enough Fool to buy the 1860 from me.

Hi Johnnie, this big enough fool is still waiting for you to answer my PM. Did you change your mind on selling your 1858 Remington Carbine?

Edit: I heard back from Johnnie. Guess who is now going to own an 1858 Remington Carbine? What's nice is that Johnnie's carbine uses Pietta cylinders. This will let me use my Pietta 1858 revolver C&B and conversion cylinders with the carbine. I look forward to this new shooting adventure!  {?| {?| {?|

Regards,
Richard

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 12:19:21 PM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 01:33:04 PM »
Dear Friends,
            I would not go to a range that insists that all capping be done only on the firing line.  The Range Officials are telling you that all Black Powder Shooters are a bunch of dangerous Idiots!  I carry a gun and it is ALWAYS fully Loaded, and ready to go at a split seconds notice!  I have in the course of something like 61 years of shooting of ALL types of firearms, had a total of four accidental discharges, and the only one that ever hurt anyone, (The last one!) the person hurt was myself!  I had designed a holster, made it, and then discovered that It had a bad design fault I had not taken into consideration.  The Pistol fell from the holster, hit the floor butt first, (Which because then the safety Notches on the gun were only giving ONE MILLIMETER of BITE ON THE HAMMER!) the second bounce was on the hammer spur, and since the minute bite of the hammer was SO SLIGHT, The first bounce had permitted the hammer to came back a fraction, and the cylinder had turned until a cap was under the hammer!So when the gun bounced the second time ON the Hammer spur, it went off!  I tried to catch the bullet!
            ALL my guns NOW have at least a THREE millimeter bite on the hammer, and I have practiced by dropping an unloaded revolver on the (Linotiled!) floor, from waist height, and they don't move around any more! I go to what I call "My Private Range!"  I call it that because I have only er seen ONE other Person there, since I rejoined the, "Ranks of Muzzle-Loadig Revolver Shooters," in October of 2011! In fact it is about 93,000 Acres of Arizona Desert.  In the direction I customarily shoot, I have a clear field of view for about two mile's, and not even the,"Medical Examiner's Special," will be dangerous at THAT range!
            Every shooter should give himself a, "Safety Examination!"  Try and examine your own behaviour at the range, whether you are with others, OR alone, and then ask yourself, had you been standing beside yourself, would you have felt REALLY SAFE? In the other three accidental discharges I had,the gun was ALWAYS POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION WHEN IT WENT OFF!  I was lucky! I still have my left hand!  I could easily have LOST that hand. 
                                                                                     Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.

Offline Roadhouse

• I would gladly pay you Tues for a hamburger today
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 02:12:28 PM »
If you are at a Public Range, capping should be done at the firing line, PERIOD!!

The Range Officials are NOT telling you that all Black Powder Shooters are a bunch of dangerous Idiots! They are telling you that safety comes first. You are at a Public Range and you have no need to be ready to go a split seconds notice.

You have no idea if the other shooters have had any type the training or not. If I'm up at the line, I don't want someone behind me, maybe un-experienced, capping their revolver. I don't care if you been shooting for years, wait till you get to the line. It's only COMMON SENSE!!!

Or maybe you got someone behind you who's been shooting for years and thinks they know all about it, but maybe they had designed a holster, and then discovered that It had a bad design fault they had not taken into consideration.  The Pistol falls from the holster, hits the ground butt first, (Which because then the safety Notches on the gun were only giving ONE MILLIMETER of BITE ON THE HAMMER!) and on the second bounce was on the hammer spur, and since the minute bite of the hammer was SO SLIGHT, The first bounce had permitted the hammer to came back a fraction, and the cylinder had turned until a cap was under the hammer! So when the gun bounced the second time ON the Hammer spur, it went off!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 02:18:51 PM by Roadhouse »
GOD*GUNS*FREEDOM

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 02:21:32 PM »
If you are at a Public Range, capping should be done at the firing line, PERIOD!!

The Range Officials are NOT telling you that all Black Powder Shooters are a bunch of dangerous Idiots! They are telling you that safety comes first. You are at a Public Range and you have no need to be ready to go a split seconds notice.

You have no idea if the other shooters have had any type the training or not. If I'm up at the line, I don't want someone behind me, maybe un-experienced, capping their revolver. I don't care if you been shooting for years, wait till you get to the line. It's only COMMON SENSE!!!

While capping at the line is a major PITA, it is also a safety factor, and I go along with it. An uncapped revolver or muzzleloader will not go off...accidental or otherwise, and at my range, those loading are at the tables BEHIND the firing line. Guess where the accidental discharge (AD) goes?
Yup. Right in your back.
Gotta agree with Roadhouse on this 'un.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 02:26:52 PM »
Hi Roadhouse, I agree with you 100%!!

On a private range you can do what you choose, but if on a public range, follow the rules.

Some people manage to shoot a hole in their hand in their own kitchen. Now who could that be?  (^h (^h (^h

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 03:24:02 PM »
Dear Friends,
            IF I ever did go to a public range, MY guns would be fully loaded and capped and either on my hips in well made Mexican loop Holsters of my own manufacture, and if I did have to reload, it would be to insert other loaded and capped cylinders from either pouches on my belt, or from a briefcase! Naturally, if I needed to reload the gun, it would be at the firing line!
            I think too many people get into the shooting sports, before they have developed a Shooters Sense!  This is mostly Common Sense, and in the case of most Americans, it comes from a Loving Father!  I had a very loving Father, but he had been seriously Wounded in the Battle of the Somme, in WW I, and was not all that fond of guns.  Since he walked from 1917 onwards, on either artificial limbs, or crutches, I understood this. He was not very hapy about my fascination for guns, but he wasn't, "Rampantly Anti,"  Either!  He died when I was eighteen, so he never saw any of the guns I owned after, "Coming of Age!" When I was yunger, and had an air pistol, we used to play Darts, but instead of throwing them by had, we used the air pistol and the little feathered dart that could be bought for them.  We usually played games of 1,000and 1. Games of 300 and one only lasted a minuit or two!  It was quite easy to hit the double top to begin, and my dad could quite often get three of the little darts in a row in the Triple Top!  Even in those harmless games, Dad stressed that the muzzle of the air pistol must ALWAYS BE POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION!  I got so that I'd pause, look at the gun, and then mentally mark where dad was sitting or standing, before I turned around to walk back to the Firing Line!  I have not had to draw a gun, "In Case,' for some time now!  Last time I seriously contemplated it, was in 2012, when we were evicting a tenant, from the Complex I managed, and he got really mad when he saw the police officer arrive, and knew that he didn't have any time to get rid of the, "Incriminating Evidence." (Because I had a good idea he had drugs on him, and I was standing in the bathroom door, and so he couldn't get by me to "Flush With Success!"
            So I'll leave, "Organised Public Ranges," for those unfortunates who live in places too built up, to make going into the Countryside a viable proposition,  I have at my disposal roughly 93,000 Acres of Arizona Desert to play in, with no "Custodian," to Tell me what or what, or What Not,  to do! and other lesser species of Homo Sapiens SO RARE, as to be not worth bothereing abut!  As a very young boy I dreamed of being able to one day, live somewhere, where I could just blaze away from my Back door, any time I felt like it!  Well I have to drive a few miles, but other Members of Homo Sapiens are SO RARE, that in the three yars I have gone shooting there, only ONCE have I seen a stranger there.  That funnily enough, was when Texian Visited with me, and we went down together.  Just as we were getting ready to pack up and come back to,
"Civilization," a guy on a Quad turned up, with a bolt action rifle in clips across the handlebars!  Turned out he had recently been living in Alaska, and being curious about what life was like up there, I began asking him some questions.  It all seemed
quite interesting, until he mentioned that in Alaska, the Mosquito was the State Bird! Also that they have a LOT OF GRIZZLY BEARS!  Bears frighten me!  I'd not want to hunt for one, unless I had an experienced Guide, who was lovingly fondling a .460
Weatherby Magnum!  I once watched a video, where this fool was hunting for a Grizzly with a bow and arrows!  The video showed him daw back his arrow and let fly at a HUGE Grizzly, burying the sahft into the bear's chest, right up to the fletchings!  The bear gave a startled sort of coughing grunt, and turned and ran into some thick cover.  The Hunter turned to the Guide, and aid, "Do we follow him?"  The Guide's reply was classical. He said,  "Mister, I aint in no mood to go following a bear into thick cover, that's just been poked with a sharp Stick!" I nearly peed myself laughing when he said that!
            From what I saw of where the arrow entered the bear, the poor animal most likely bled out. The arrow seemed to go in about where I would have guessed the heart was, but those animals have such amazing vitality, and are so incredibly fast for their size and bulk. (How does the first fifty yards from a standing start, in three seconds grab you?)  After learning more about them, I decided that I really didn't want to go Bear Hunting In Alaska, OR the Lower 48!  Them bears are just TOO DANGEROUSE by Far, for my liking!   After lasting for just over 79 years, I REALLY DON"T want to finish up as "Bear Sign!"

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 03:58:16 PM »
“… and I have practiced by dropping an unloaded revolver on the (Linotiled!) floor, from waist height, and they don't move around any more! “

In the words of Church Lady:  “That’s special”

And off the wall.  Utterly and completely screwy.  One of the most amateurish things I have ever heard (again now, for the fourth or fifth time).  I can’t believe it, I don’t believe it.

You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Roadhouse

• I would gladly pay you Tues for a hamburger today
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 05:52:48 PM »
“… and I have practiced by dropping an unloaded revolver on the (Linotiled!) floor, from waist height, and they don't move around any more! “

In the words of Church Lady:  “That’s special”

And off the wall.  Utterly and completely screwy.  One of the most amateurish things I have ever heard (again now, for the fourth or fifth time).  I can’t believe it, I don’t believe it.

Oh, come on now, G Dog.

You mean you haven't tested all your revolvers using the "drop from waist height" technique.  )L$

Dear Friends,
            IF I ever did go to a public range, MY guns would be fully loaded and capped and either on my hips in well made Mexican loop Holsters of my own manufacture, and if I did have to reload, it would be to insert other loaded and capped cylinders from either pouches on my belt, or from a briefcase!

This is exactly why Public Ranges have rules.

GOD*GUNS*FREEDOM

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 06:32:02 PM »
"Oh, come on now, G Dog.

You mean you haven't tested all your revolvers using the "drop from waist height" technique."

No friend Roadhouse I have not, never even tried.  I haven’t been shot four times either, not even by myself, nor have I killed four ‘fuzzy wuzzies’ while assigned a desk job in the peacetime RAF.   The nipples on my cylinders remove easily enough though,  but then I am after all a lace underwear anal retentive newbie with nothing better to do.

Bloody nonsense.

You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.