Photobucket

Author Topic: The Savage Navy  (Read 2151 times)

Offline sourdough

The Savage Navy
« on: February 10, 2015, 05:45:00 PM »
Found this European video to be intriguing. Had never heard of it before, and  IMO, a very quaint firearm insofar as the double motions cocking and firing. Very interesting, nonetheless.

I'm a noob here but have studied much of Civil War/War Of Northern Aggression history/tactics for many years, but I am learning more and more about pre-Civil War/Civil War/post Civil War conversion firearms. That era introduced more innovations than any previous and led to the greater innovations in the late 19th/early 20th century.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUJEeVK9PSs

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: The Savage Navy
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 06:02:27 PM »
capandball.eu vids are really good.  Some of the best in my judgment. 

I like that .  Balázs Németh  (?) Hungarian guy, at least when he's speaking English.  The dude can really shoot too.

"Savage came in .44 also."  ERRATA: I HAVE SUBSEQUENTLY LEARNED HERE THAT THIS STATEMENT IS ERRONEOUS AND THAT THEY CAME IN .36 ONLY

Good post and topic there sourdough.

https://www.youtube.com/user/capandball

http://kapszli.hu/en/
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:59:36 PM by G Dog »
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 09:27:05 AM »
Dear Pietta:
Get cracking on a repro of this.

Thanks,
Pale

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 10:09:10 AM »
Wow...very innovative! I really like the gas seal and cocking features! I've seen a few on GB but never paid any mind because they are so.....UGLY. But I could get to like one, I think.
Ditto on the Pietta thing. Build it and they will come. (You listening, Pietta?)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Online Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Official Mad Dog Nose Tweaker.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 01:01:43 PM »
The ones the Union bought ended up being issued to the crew of the U.S.S. Constitution.  I had one for a bit with an eye to restoring it but it was beyond me. And the guy I got it from had bead blasted it "to clean it up" thereby destroying it's value as a relic.
“The path of the warrior is difficult! We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves! Honour in serving! Honour in defending! Honour in dying for a just cause!”

"A knight is sworn to valor; His heart knows only virtue; His blade defends the helpless; His might upholds the weak; His word speaks only truth,
and his wrath undoes the wicked."

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 02:41:32 PM »
Wow...very innovative! I really like the gas seal and cocking features! I've seen a few on GB but never paid any mind because they are so.....UGLY. But I could get to like one, I think.
Ditto on the Pietta thing. Build it and they will come. (You listening, Pietta?)
I dunno, I always thought they were a nice looking gun. I'm afraid of the price if Pietta did make one. Lots of fitted parts!

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 09:29:21 PM »
Saw my first Savage on the 18th of this month!  Went to Wenatchee and saw Mom, then headed towards home but stopped in at Sis's for the night. The BIL took me up to Mattawa, WA to see the local machinist/gunsmith/gunbuilder.

He told me about a pistol that had a 300 dollar price tag on it in a pawn shop and pulled out a Savage!!!  He made a new cylinder for it but kept the origional. The origional cylinder had a cracked and blown out chamer, and the forcing cone area had a small blow out as well. Still, worth more than 300 in my estimation. Not shootable (?), but not really relic either.

Mr E. J. is in his seventies but has built many, many guns from spanish matchlocks and conquistador armor to go with it, but a ferguson rifle and many in between. He has also built, from scratch, many C&B revolvers from .5- 1.00 bores!  He was in the process of building a Remington- Hepburn when I was there, also from scratch. He has many more in the works, from almost done, to almost ready to start on. The guy is a national treasure and a true craftsman. IMO.  He also makes his own creedmore sights.

He found a museum in Montana to house some of his works but I'll be darned if I can remember the name of the town. Starts with a "P", guess I better look it up.
Nothing expresses Liberty more, than the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 10:19:33 PM »
...Savage came in .44 also....

Wait, really?  Then why did he quit making them when .44 became the standard in 1863?
I must be missing something here.  Or didn't hear what I thought I heard.  Or it was wrong.
Cripes, now I'm really confused.

This would be one difficult gun for which to make a cartridge conversion.
Oh, and would it be loaded 4, one empty for the hammer?
Poor Johnnie, going nuts trying to swap cylinders "dang, where'd that spring sproing to?"

Best to leave it "ugly" and have fun. (T^
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Online Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 11:27:08 PM »
Heck there were only 2,000 of the .36 cal one made.  He couldn't get enough people to buy it to make it worth continuing to make.
“The path of the warrior is difficult! We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves! Honour in serving! Honour in defending! Honour in dying for a just cause!”

"A knight is sworn to valor; His heart knows only virtue; His blade defends the helpless; His might upholds the weak; His word speaks only truth,

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 11:29:49 PM »
Quoting Classanr:   "Or it was wrong."

Classanr and everyone --  I am unable to find anything to support my previous statement that this type of Savage actually came in a .44 cal.

I thought that I had seen a photo of one captioned as a .44 in Joseph Rosa’s  coffee table book Gunfighter.  That would be a pretty poor reference anyway.  I have tried to find the photo there but the index is hopelessly incomplete and book is very disorganized.  Sort of like me, sometimes.

I am very sorry to have made this erroneous statement.  You did well to question this.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:42:11 PM by G Dog »
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 10:07:40 PM »
LOL!  Just the thought of a Savage being used by a "gunfighter"..................

Having a tendon condition known as "trigger finger", It would be hard for me to go through the motion to even cock the thing.   I suppose it would be easy enough to get used to after a few repetative motions.
Nothing expresses Liberty more, than the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.

Offline Battis

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »
I have a Savage & North .36 that I actually shoot.  Some call it a double action but it's actually a lever action revolver.  It was never made in .44 but it could have been - it's beefy.
I believe there were 20,000 made.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:00:24 PM by Battis »

Online Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 11:03:15 AM »
Battis I'm going to have to sneak over to your house and snitch that Savage.   (5&

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 01:28:06 PM »
Kaeto,  (?^   (T^
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!