Author Topic: US stamped on New Model Army frame  (Read 3137 times)

Offline frank762

US stamped on New Model Army frame
« on: January 30, 2015, 11:23:21 PM »
Hello, I have recently found a New Model Army that I am thinking about buying. It has good prominence, from a PA cavalry soldiers family, and is in good condition with inspectors initials stamped on many parts and a good cartouche. My big concern is that it has US stamped on the left side of the frame below the cylinder like on some 1851 navy Colts and SAA's. Have looked at a lot of 58's in person and online and I haven't seen another with US stamped on it. Any info, comments ect. would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: US stamped on New Model Army frame
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 08:39:17 AM »
Hi frank762, jump on over to the "Welcome Wagon" and tell us a few things about yourself. How did you find this Great Forum?
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 02:34:09 PM »
Dear Frank762,
            I would have thought that the U.S.Quartermaster would have stamped U.S. on anything and everythig that came to the Ownersip of any U.S.Regiment.  However I am more a shooter than a Historian. Both Hawg, and Captain Kirk would be better qualified to answer that question for you.
            Congratulations on finding an original though.  I have never gone into collecting the originals, because I feel they rightly belong to those persons who either have a Collectors Frame of mind, and wish to preserve for later generation the original weapons that their Forebears used, or who are curators of Museums, and can retain them in good shape, so that future generations can see the, "Real Thing!"
            I have Replica Remingtons, and since the  design is so very reliable, and I am an "Old West Afficiondo," I even carry them for Self Defense.  I know that if I happen to lose one, (God Forbid!) I shall only be out of pocket to the extent of just over $200.oo, and although that would be a severe blow to me in my, "Fixed Income Condition," It would not be insurmountable, and some scrimping and saving for a couple of months, could conceivably relace the missing Pistol!
            However I am sure that both Hawg, and Captain Kirk will be either able to answer yout question, or refer you to someone beter historically quaified that myself.  There is a saying on this forum, that if there is no picture, it never happened.  So some photo's of your recently acquired treasure would be most apreciated , especially by Hawg and Captain
Kirk!
         A warm        (D@        from here in Sunny Arizona!
                                                                                    Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 09:17:34 PM »
I know of none with a U.S. marking and didn't see any mention of it in Ware's book. If you give me the serial number I can tell you when it was made. Pics would be nice too.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 11:04:12 PM »
Frank, I have not heard of any with a U.S. marking or seen any in my books.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 11:28:50 PM »
I know of none with a U.S. marking and didn't see any mention of it in Ware's book. If you give me the serial number I can tell you when it was made. Pics would be nice too.

Frank, I have not heard of any with a U.S. marking or seen any in my books.

I have found the same.  No mention of any being stamped with a US and a large number not even having a cartouche.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 06:37:40 AM »

I have found the same.  No mention of any being stamped with a US and a large number not even having a cartouche.

A lot of the Beals models didn't even have inspectors marks.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Online Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 11:01:06 AM »
I have seen a couple of originals, where someone, an owner?, a collector?, have added own stamps, numbers or letters.
Does your "US" have anything like a period font? Could "US" be an earlier owner's initials?
And of course, pix!
Just thinking out loud here

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
I think Johnnie is probably on the right track. An overzealous quartermaster with a penchant for stamping U.S. on everything. However period it may be it detracts from value.

Offline Yankee John

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 11:39:56 AM »
I had a Colt 1860 that was post Civil War refurbished by the Springfield Armory that was mismatched numbers and had 'US' stamped on the trigger guard. Used in the Indian Wars by mainly the 9th and 10th Cavalry's (Buffalo soldiers).

Could that Remington has also been rebuilt by the Springfield Armory?

John

Offline frank762

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 07:36:45 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I was checking that '58 out at a gun show a couple weeks ago and it was supposed to be at yesterdays gun show but the owner was a no show. I've looked at a lot of these guns and its always helpful to hear from folks with a similar interest. Sorry I don't have photos, I may never see that gun again just never know.  Part of the fun of collecting war relics is learning their historic value in innovation and battle. People over the years have really done some funny things to old guns. Stamping, carving initials, ect.  Gonna keep my eyes and ears open for a nice original. Frank