Author Topic: Pietta Spiller & Burr  (Read 2430 times)

Offline wingman

• Cap Smasher Extraordinaire
Pietta Spiller & Burr
« on: January 24, 2015, 12:43:06 PM »
Cabelas has the Pietta Spiller & Burr on sale right now for $199. The original price is $289. I have a $20 off coupon so it would be $179 plus tax, so roughly $193.32 total.

Is it worth picking one up for that price? I've read the previous posts about it and seems like those of you that have them, like them. Has anyone chronographed one?

wingman  :9)
"Fast is fine, but accuracy  is everything" - Wyatt Earp

"Whenever you get into a row be sure and not shoot too quick. Take time. I’ve known many a feller slip up for shootin in a hurry.” - Wild Bill Hickok

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Pietta Spiller & Burr
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 06:02:33 PM »
Dualist1954 has a video on it.  It shows velocity from only one shot, which is 737.5 fps with a .380" round ball over 18 grains (presumably Goex 3F).  He doesn't say or show how full the chamber is with that load, but I'd expect the S&B to perform similar to other 36 Navy cal guns;

The S&B has a shorter barrel than the Colt Navies, so it'll probably get very slightly less velocity, all else being equal.  I looks like a nice size gun all around, being similar to the Remington New Model Police.  I keep thinking of getting one.

The close up in the video at around 7:45 does not engender confidence.  It looks as though there is daylight between the cylinder and the lower portion of the recoil shield, and contact between recoil shield and cylinder at the top.  That would mean a high likelihood of peening the recoil shield, and opening of the cylinder gap after some shootin.  Those things can always be fixed, but I don't need another project gun right now.

Offline wingman

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 07:49:46 PM »
That was a pretty good video. Thanks for posting it. For under $200, I may just pick one up. I like the historical value of it.

"Whenever you get into a row be sure and not shoot too quick. Take time. I’ve known many a feller slip up for shootin in a hurry.” - Wild Bill Hickok

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 08:01:12 PM »
The grip is quite small, wingman...smaller than all my Remmies including the San Paolo's which many ham-fisted guys can't tolerate.
You will definitely be doing the "pinky curl" on this one, just letting you know.
Other than that, very cool gun. But don't expect to be using 777 in that one unless you keep it under 18gr...which puts the ball pretty far down the old sewer pipe. You could always double-wad, I suppose...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline wingman

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 09:36:45 PM »
I must be one of those ham fisted guys, as the first time I held a Pietta 1858, I was all like "Dang this is small". I do the "Pinky Curl" already, a full pinky curl too. Haven't found one yet that I can get all three fingers on. Maybe on a Walker,  yet to try that one.

I hear ya on the 777. Being a Brasser, I'll keep it to a reasonable 18 grains. Pietta actually lists in their manual a 15grain max load for the Spiller and Burr.

I think I'll buy one. Might be hard finding additional cylinders for it or a holster though.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 09:38:05 PM »
Hi Wingman, even if you do buy it and you don't like it...you could always sell/trade it on here.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline wingman

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 09:47:03 PM »
Good idea.  {?|

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 06:59:02 PM »
Looks like they're sold out.

Offline wingman

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 10:20:16 PM »
Yep, they are gone for now. But just like Arnold ... They'll be back!

Wingman :9)

Offline Lizardo

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 08:31:17 PM »
Word of note, while velocity is compatible, it is much louder than a Navy. The lack of a forcing cone is the likely culprit. The gasses escaping through the cylinder gap are much higher velocity, so much sharper crack.
Weebles wobble but they won't fall down...