Author Topic: Finally redoing my tower pistol.  (Read 725 times)

Offline Electric Miner

• Forum Legend
Finally redoing my tower pistol.
« on: January 14, 2015, 06:37:41 PM »
Some time back I bought a CVA Tower pistol at a yard sale. It was a kit gun that someone built by pulling the pieces out of the box and slapping them together. I finally got around to getting some work done on it. Stuff like reshaping the wood, fixing the inletting, replacing stripped screws. Before I go back to work I should be able to put some new finish on it.

This is the beast...

Navy Veteran
American Legion Member
NRA member

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: Finally redoing my tower pistol.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 10:00:17 PM »
Miner, is this the "Done" pistol?
Or are you going to do more things to it?
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Electric Miner

• Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 07:06:34 AM »
That's the before shot.

The photo doesn't show the big gaps in the wood to metal fit, or the fact that nothing in inlet quite right.
Navy Veteran
American Legion Member
NRA member

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 01:00:04 PM »
Dear Friends,
            Now I stand to be corrected if I am wrong, but I have been many times to The Tower of London, and wandered entranced through the extensive "Museum of Arms," in The White Tower.  They have RACKS of Tower Pistols, as does the Museum of Arms at Windsor Castle. Now if my memory serves me correctly, the TRUE Tower Pistol was about .69 to .75 Caliber, and had a captive ramrod, to save it being lost in the heat of battle.  It was one of the type that your pulled forward then it swiveled in some way, so it could be used to Ram the ball home, and then pulled out and swivelled again, so as to replace it in the narrow hole beneath the barrel!  Now I suspect that some manufacturers have made copies of Generic Flintlock Pistols, and for want of any other name, have called their creations, "A Tower Pistol." named after the Brown Bess Musket, (Which was known as the Tower Musket in the British Military Terminology of the time (1704 or thereabouts.) was fitted with a very fine and reliable Flint Lock.  The same lock was fitted to the Pistol of the time' ("Tower Pistol's.") and according to Robert Held, Author of, "The Age of Firearms, "Many hundreds, perhaps Thousands filtered through to Civilian Use, Perhaps Millions? and were used and made by many gunsmilths throught the "Civilised World!"  The Brown Bess's Lock was one of the first Military Locks to be fitted with a "Bridle."  which was a device which kept the lock from becoming lop-sided, and prevented the lock from getting out of alignment, and thus giving weak sparks. In the tower of London, there is an Arab looking like long gun, that looks as if it might have been carried, Camel Back by a Bedouin Raider, yet the lock is a Brown Bess lock!  Which proves that they certainly, "Got Around!" Also illustrated in Robert Held's Book, is a Turkish Fowling Piece, that is also equipped with a Tower Lock.
                                                                                    Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!