Photobucket

Author Topic: More Pietta Navy (.36) options/info  (Read 2571 times)

Offline sourdough

More Pietta Navy (.36) options/info
« on: January 08, 2015, 07:32:33 PM »
I know I have posted about my new acquisition previously, but...

I'll probably never shoot BP in this gun. I know, I am probably an anathema to all of you charcoal burners. Truth be known: I hate cleaning charcoal burners. But I love the style and grace of all C&B revolvers.

My dilemma: I have perused the Net and found a few interesting conversions to cartridge cylinders, to wit:

As recommended, Taylor and Co.  http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/cartridge-conversions/1851-1861-navy-conversion-cylinders/conversion-cylinder-for-pietta-1851-1861-navy-revolvers-38lc-blue.html
As has been said before, I know the difference between the bore and the .38 Special bullets using a HBWC. Not gonna be a bullseye gun, but I don't see so well anymore either.  :9)

What has me more intrigued Is the Kriss cylinder .22 LR conversion and the possibility of a side ejector to accommodate. Have to learn more.

http://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/kirstkonverter-converts1851-1861coltto22lr.aspx

Even if this next item is for a Uberti, it has got to work on a Pietta loading lever pivot, even if there is minor fitting, to my way of thinking.

http://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/kirstconverter1851coltejectorforuberti.aspx

You folks are the pros. Am I dreaming, out of my realm, or....

Jim

Offline sourdough

Re: More Pietta Navy (.36) options/info
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 07:42:55 PM »
To Edit:

I am looking for a source for nice walnut or hardwood grips with some nice figure. The stock grips on my Pietta are OK, but I want grips with some nice figure. They can be walnut, maple, rosewood, whatever. I'm sure anything will hurt my pocketbook. Just have to save it up from what Momma allows me.  )L$

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 07:57:22 PM »
Hi sourdogh, I know what you mean...I have my 1858 Remmys that I would LOVE to have some REAL Stag grips and some REAL White grips...but, the money is too high for me to buy them.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Omnivore

• Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 08:09:42 PM »
I don't know if by "no black powder" you mean "smokeless only" or if you'd be open to C&B shooting with clean burning substitutes like Black MZ.

You might want to learn how some people on here are cleaning their charcoal burners.  Some people have some pretty abbreviated methods, which they claim has worked over many years of shooting with no problems.

Since new grips will generally need to be hand fit anyway (and let's face it; even the factory fitting isn't typically great), I'd say get the wood you like and make them.  You can make two separate panels and join them using a spacer, rather than trying to make the more difficult, one-piece Colt design.  The two-piece method with spacer is sometimes done commercially too, some using a screw similar to Remington grips.  I'd be OK using a good glue, like Titebond III, or an epoxy.  That ain't commin' apart, and you don't have to mess with the metal washer and stud.

ETA; you said "Pietta Navy" which I erroniously assumed to mean a Colt design.  If your Navy is a Remington it's even simpler to make new grips for it.  Just re-use the washer, screw and stud from the factory grips, y no problemo.

Online Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 08:45:24 PM »
Any grips you get will have to be fitted including factory takeoffs.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 10:26:33 PM »
Black or Pyro is not that hard to clean up after.  With cartridge conversion you still have to go through essentially the same process.

.22 Navy?  Each man to his own tastes, certainly.  Got to respect it.

M__
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Prospector

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 11:11:19 PM »
sourdogh,
I know where you are coming from, about going with a conversion because you do not want to deal with the black powder mess.  I was the same way for many years.  I hated cleaning up my muzzleloading rifles after firing Pyrodex through them.  When I first bought my Remington, I did not want to deal with the black powder mess either.   Many years later, I decided to try firing cap and ball through the revolver.  I did some research online, and also found some Hodgdon 777 3f powder, since it was supposed to be easy clean-up.  Once I tried it, I discovered what fun I had been missing.  I also learned an easy way to clean up my Remmy.  In fact, I discovered that cleaning up after 777 powder was not much more trouble than a good, thorough cleaning job after shooting smokeless powder.  Actually, it is easier than cleaning up after firing some smokeless cartridges with lead bullets, because I have never had to clean lead out of the barrel after shooting the cap and ball cylinder.  And as you know, you should only use lead, unjacketed bullets in those revolvers.   My advice to you is, before you invest a lot of time and money in a conversion, especially if it will be a one-way conversion (cannot convert  it back), is to go get some #10 caps, some round balls, an easy to clean substitute such as Black-MZ or Triple 7, and head to the range and fire a few cylinders worth the old fashioned way.   Learn the easy way to clean your revolver.   Then if you still do not think that the fun of all that smoke and flame is not worth the clean-up, then by all means, get the conversion cylinder and even add the loading gate, etc.  At least you can say you tried C&B but did not like it.   But you may just find that you like both types of shooting.

I do not know what it is, but I still do consider cleaning up after my cap and ball revolver as a drudgery like I do cleaning a muzzleloading rifle.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:22:22 PM by Prospector »

Offline sourdough

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 06:16:37 PM »
I'm sorry if I was misunderstood about firing other than BP in my 1851 Navy Pietta.

I may be a weird duck here on this thread/forum but would really like to pursue the idea of shooting .22 LR through a Kirst  conversion cylinder and barrel adapter.

I like the balance and pointability (is that a real word?) of the 1851 and have many coyotes to shoo out of here in the boontoolies, and I have no use anymore for dead animals and hides. (I have a homebuilt from parts 1911 .22 that works very well for that, but it is nice to have options.  {?|)

Does anyone have any experience with Kirst? I paid $200 + shipping and tax for the Pietta through Cabela's  (2014 edition with a [CM] proofmark on the right side of the steel frame) and now I am looking at a very large "improvement" to the tune of south of $400.

Most of you guys must think I am insane. I used to own over 40 guns before I sold them off and relocated from Alaska. I now own only 4, enough to take care of someone coming through the door.

Thanks for any input in advance!

Jim

Online ninetoes

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 06:22:39 PM »
<snip>

What has me more intrigued Is the Kriss cylinder .22 LR conversion and the possibility of a side ejector to accommodate. Have to learn more.

Even if this next item is for a Uberti, it has got to work on a Pietta loading lever pivot, even if there is minor fitting, to my way of thinking.

Jim
Holy mother of Pearl! Those two items are $500!!11!!  EEK
By the time you add in the base gun it's close to $700...for that you could get a genuine Colt Frontier Scout in .22
But, to each his own. It's a neat idea I guess, but I'd just buy a Chiappa 1873 or, if I had the money, an Uberti Stallion. At least you'd probably hit things you aimed at with the .22...more often than the .38 conversion, at any rate.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 06:30:08 PM by ninetoes »
Down with the Secesh! The Union must and shall be preserved! Death to Traitors and Copperheads!

Offline sourdough

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 04:46:07 PM »
Yeah, but...

What do you do when something catches your fancy?

First thing is to check the mad money bank account.

Then you think 3 or 4 times before taking the plunge.

I understand where you are coming from, but...

When the bug bites it's hard not to scratch the itch. ;D

Offline Electric Miner

• Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 09:05:02 AM »
Unless you're broke. Then it's easy to not scratch the itch. I don't buy as much as I could, because I'm always wondering 'what if something better comes along.'
Navy Veteran
American Legion Member
NRA member

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 04:09:33 PM »
I know I have posted about my new acquisition previously, but...

I'll probably never shoot BP in this gun. I know, I am probably an anathema to all of you charcoal burners. Truth be known: I hate cleaning charcoal burners. But I love the style and grace of all C&B revolvers.

My dilemma: I have perused the Net and found a few interesting conversions to cartridge cylinders, to wit:

As recommended, Taylor and Co.  http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/cartridge-conversions/1851-1861-navy-conversion-cylinders/conversion-cylinder-for-pietta-1851-1861-navy-revolvers-38lc-blue.html
As has been said before, I know the difference between the bore and the .38 Special bullets using a HBWC. Not gonna be a bullseye gun, but I don't see so well anymore either.  :9)

Jim

The 1851 Pietta and Uberti levers are quite a bit different. You'll find the correct Pietta one on our site by typing in the same part number, but replacing the U with a P.

Offline sourdough

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 06:38:14 PM »
Sorry, but I have been away for a few days.

The 1851 Pietta and Uberti levers are quite a bit different. You'll find the correct Pietta one on our site by typing in the same part number, but replacing the U with a P.

Which site is that? My new Pietta (2014: Italian proof CM in a box) 1851 .36  loading lever has much slop on the frame-mounted pivot screw. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 03:10:33 PM »
Sorry, but I have been away for a few days.

Which site is that? My new Pietta (2014: Italian proof CM in a box) 1851 .36  loading lever has much slop on the frame-mounted pivot screw. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance!

Jim

oldsouthfirearms.com

As for the slop...It often depends on where you got it from and when

Offline sourdough

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 05:32:40 PM »
I got it new from Cabela's 2 weeks ago and it has never been fired (by me). There has to be at least a .010" gap on either side of the lever where it pivots on the screw in the barrel assembly forward of the wedge. The fit where the lever pivots on the screw at the ram is quite close (~.001").

Again, is this normal?