Photobucket

Author Topic: An interesting conversion of an R&S  (Read 2225 times)

Offline ninetoes

An interesting conversion of an R&S
« on: December 06, 2014, 10:29:08 AM »
A very interesting conversion/butchering of a R&S into a Cartridge .45 Colt piece. Not mine; turned up on Gunbroker (at the ridiculous price of $500, and the seller seems to think that even though it only has a cartridge cylinder it's still "not a gun", which I believe the BATFE just might dispute, to his detriment {:( ) but still interesting. Seems to have a Liberty Head Nickle used as a front sight and has been converted to bird's head grips. Looks to me like it would be difficult to cock, and the conversion would be something of a challenge to load as it has no loading gate or extractor and it has a very short cylinder pin stub.
Anyway, submitted for you consideration, Photos from the auction, photo credit seller "grenguards"

Down with the Secesh! The Union must and shall be preserved! Death to Traitors and Copperheads!

Offline BGRooster1

• Forum Legend
Re: An interesting conversion of an R&S
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 11:47:04 AM »
This one has been at auction for a long time. I think the seller is on crack or some other mind altering concoction .
Maj.Bull S. Hitter on the CAS forum

Better to ask forgiveness.Than to beg permission

Cap & Ball revolvers are like Lay's potato chips , you can't have just one!!

Offline BGRooster1

• Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 11:59:28 AM »
A very interesting conversion/butchering of a R&S into a Cartridge .45 Colt piece. Not mine; turned up on Gunbroker (at the ridiculous price of $500, and the seller seems to think that even though it only has a cartridge cylinder it's still "not a gun", which I believe the BATFE just might dispute, to his detriment {:( ) but still interesting. Seems to have a Liberty Head Nickle used as a front sight and has been converted to bird's head grips. Looks to me like it would be difficult to cock, and the conversion would be something of a challenge to load as it has no loading gate or extractor and it has a very short cylinder pin stub.
Anyway, submitted for you consideration, Photos from the auction, photo credit seller "grenguards"

Was thinking 2 separate shipments ,one for cylinder,one for frame would work, but that won't help as the frame has been altered. I think that might put it in the "Firearm" category.
 The R&S has a long reach for the hammer,but not hard to get familiar with using.
 Loading should be easy,but keeping the cartridges in the cylinder may be a problem depending on how they line-up when firing. 

Offline ninetoes

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 02:04:58 PM »
How did I miss that? Yeah, that frame has a loading cut-out, but no ejector so one would need to use a stick or something.
That would indeed make this a cartridge firearm.
Down with the Secesh! The Union must and shall be preserved! Death to Traitors and Copperheads!

Offline BGRooster1

• Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 05:26:03 PM »
I asked the seller a question-  (^h
Can this revolver shoot 45 colt cartridges or not , am a little confused with the description ?

This is the response I was given-  {:(
yes, but it takes a specialty 45 LC round only. If it could fire factories it would instantly, magically transform into a a form one Firearm and would require an FFL to transfer.

You get a few rounds with the revolver. _l

This guy better hope it doesn't get sold.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 06:55:42 PM »
I asked the seller a question-  (^h
Can this revolver shoot 45 colt cartridges or not , am a little confused with the description ?

This is the response I was given-  {:(
yes, but it takes a specialty 45 LC round only. If it could fire factories it would instantly, magically transform into a a form one Firearm and would require an FFL to transfer.

You get a few rounds with the revolver. _l

This guy better hope it doesn't get sold.

Smells like a honey-pot setup to me.

Remember that line "Geeze, I'm only asking you to take off but 1/2 inch more!"
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 10:03:19 AM »
I have seen other revolvers with a conversion cylinder on GunBroker, and the sellers declare the gun can only be sold to an FFL holder, regardless if the cylinder is shipped separately from the gun. I'm sure they lost a few bidders by so doing, and I don't remember if the guns sold or not as I lost interest after they wouldn't ship separately. I also take issue with sellers who require an FFL to ship to even if the gun is obviously eligible to be shipped to a C&R holder (me!) ^y%

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 12:55:50 PM »
... I also take issue with sellers who require an FFL to ship to even if the gun is obviously eligible to be shipped to a C&R holder (me!) ^y%

I have a friend with a "C&R" store.  Looks like a gun shop from the late 1800's.  Kinda cool, really.  His "Ye Olde Gunn Shoppe" is in the barn hay loft over his wife's very cool antique shop.  Definitely a His-n-Hers establishment.
He says "FFL's call C&R's *loopholers*.  I find it very difficult to deal with most FFLs."
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline BGRooster1

• Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 01:37:43 PM »
I thought I read somewhere..

If the firearm is not altered from original it can ship like any other C&B revolver , without the cylinder, but if you alter the frame . It becomes a whole new firearm. So if a loading port is cut into the frame. It now is a cartridge firearm needing to die with you. Meaning it can't be sold. Something to do with becoming a firearm producer and therefore needing the permits and what ever else a producer needs to have.

No matter how the regulations read. I think this guy needs to sell this R&S quietly. =K*

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 06:43:41 PM »
He claims it uses a "specialty made .45 ammo" therefore its does not use ammo commercially available and that makes it an antique no matter age, modification, form etc.

i could make a gun tonight that uses, lets call it the ".499 suzukibruce" round i make myself, and it will be classified as an antique as per atf "rules" and therefore unregulated.

can someone post a link to this auction, i want to see it and cant find it. thanks!
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline ninetoes

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 08:51:52 PM »
Hey,  the antique law says that if the replica "uses rim fire or center fire ammo that is no longer manufactured in the US AND is not available in the regular commercial trade" then it's an antique. Please note, not that it uses a unique or non standard cartridge, but instead obsolete ones. Your ".499 suzikibruce" does not qualify. If it used, say, 5.5mm velodog then yes, it would. This is the kind of uninformed hooey that gets folks in trouble. You can of course make yourself your own ".499 suzikibruce" revolver, or a dozen of them if you want, perfectly legally...so long as you don't sell them. 

Offline BGRooster1

• Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 09:24:02 PM »

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 09:37:04 PM »
Are the grips on there "Real" or plastic ones?
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!