Author Topic: A pocket with some juice  (Read 1357 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
A pocket with some juice
« on: November 26, 2014, 08:29:43 AM »
Hi, I now own a pocket revolver with some juice. I have both the Uberti 1849 .31 Pocket and Wells Fargo, and have now added a Uberti 1862 .36 Pocket Navy to my collection. The 6.5" barrel of the .36 Pocket Navy should be able to push a ball close to 1000fps. Interesting on how Colt was able to get such improved performance from the .36 using the same frame as the .31 caliber guns. A photo:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: A pocket with some juice
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 10:25:27 PM »
Pretty neat.  You're going to have to let us know how it shoots.

I got the 5.5" Police earlier in the year.  I really like it, but it shoots approximately a mile high at ten yards, so it isn't much good for anything as-shipped.  Still haven't got around to replacing the front sight.  That and I need to finish opening up the loading cutout so it'll take the Accurate Molds 38-100C bullet.  I did shim the arbor so the wedge can go in tight, for a consistent .003" cylinder gap.  That brought the vertical dispersion in a little, but when your groups are completely off the paper at close range it's little more than a cute conversation piece.

I don't mean to rain on your parade.  These are neat guns, once they've been set up right, and they can pack a decent punch.  I noticed that Dell's Leather makes holsters for them, including a shoulder rig that's caught my eye.

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 10:50:23 PM »
 _l  What a neat collection of pocket gun's you have there!  Alway's did like displays that had one of each progressive step.
Nothing expresses Liberty more, than the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 09:52:09 AM »
Richard, looking good there!  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline rodwha

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
Omni: I'm curious how much you had to modify your pistol for your bullet.

Have any of you modified the rear sight to help accommodate the POI?
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 11:16:13 AM »
Rodw; the loading window still needs opened a tad more, but it won't have taken a whole lot.  If you've done a Pietta Remington Army then the little Colt is no big deal at all.  It helps too, that you can remove the barrel of course.

I worked down the rear sight some, but if you tried to make all the required adjustment by filing down the hammer, it would have to go so far that that the hammer would end up horribly disfigured.  I reckon a better solution would be a new front sight dovetailed in, so you'd get the added advantage of a windage adjustable system.  I don't know about the police models specifically, but there is precedent for the Colts having dovetailed front sights installed back in the day as an upgrade.  If I'm not mistaken, even Sam Colt had a personal revolver with such an upgrade.

Anyhow, as I put in some other post a while back; my gold standard for this Police revolver is that it should be good and reliable on golf balls at ten yards, or a little better, much as you'd expect from a decent 22 LR pistol.