Author Topic: CVA brasser  (Read 4796 times)

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
Re: CVA brasser
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 11:22:29 AM »
Dear Friends,
            As most of you already know, I would not give a brass framed gun, House Room!  One cylinder of the loads I customarily shoot, would turn it into a wallhanger!  Brass frame guns are for guys who take an unloaded gun to a pistol range, load it with fifteen grains (Or less!) of powder, and use it as a remote control paper punch!  I applaud Mike B's decision to sell the revolver!
When he finds a big enough fool to purchase the thing, put the money thus obtained towards a steel framed Remington, and all
his worries will be over!!!
                                                                                                      Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Mike B.

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
Dear Friends,
            As most of you already know, I would not give a brass framed gun, House Room!  One cylinder of the loads I customarily shoot, would turn it into a wallhanger!  Brass frame guns are for guys who take an unloaded gun to a pistol range, load it with fifteen grains (Or less!) of powder, and use it as a remote control paper punch!  I applaud Mike B's decision to sell the revolver!
When he finds a big enough fool to purchase the thing, put the money thus obtained towards a steel framed Remington, and all
his worries will be over!!!

I haven't decided to sell it...not yet anyways.  Just started this thread to find out it's value and maybe spruce it up a bit...to make it more user friendly.

BTW...no offense intended gunslinger, but there are a lot of people who enjoy shooting brassers and using light loads to punch paper at a range does not make one a fool.  It's all about having fun and enjoying life.  Don't get me wrong, I also have steel frame revolvers and a colt 1911...they too have a purpose in life.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 11:36:56 AM by Mike B. »
We were made to participate in real life; not to be passive observers of another's imagination communicated through advanced technology.

Offline West Texan

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 11:00:40 AM »
I have one of those CVA brass frame Rems I got at a local gun store 12 years ago for $125.. I put 20 grs. of ff. It is accurate and fun to shoot. It is easy to clean. I know it's not authentic but I still like it. No Pietta 1858 is authentic, brass or steel. All are to large to satisfy the modern shooter.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 02:56:43 PM »
To add some perspective, regarding military loads of the Civil War period; some of the paper cartridges purchased by the federal government for use in the 44s had even less than 20 grains of powder.  They ranged from what we would regard as pathetic, to surprisingly potent, depending on the manufacturer, and at the low end they'd be more than safe in a brasser.

Offline Roadhouse

• I would gladly pay you Tues for a hamburger today
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 03:14:17 PM »
BTW...no offense intended gunslinger, but there are a lot of people who enjoy shooting brassers and using light loads to punch paper at a range does not make one a fool.  It's all about having fun and enjoying life.  Don't get me wrong, I also have steel frame revolvers and a colt 1911...they too have a purpose in life.

Mike B, I think you will find that this type of "slam post" comes up from Mr. Roper, every time someone posts a topic on brass frame guns. Insinuating that members who decide to own brass frame guns are "Fool's".  These type of posts are considered "clutter posts", in my opinion, and you will soon just overlook them.

Basically, if you don't own/shoot a Blued Steel Frame Remington 1858 New Model Army, .44 cal., 5 1/2" barrel, then you are a "Fool", in this members eyes.

GOD*GUNS*FREEDOM

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 05:12:45 PM »
Sure, but Johnnie has got his ducks lined up in his pond, and you've got yours in another. Ain't it great that we can banter around the Remi subject and get all the angles ???

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 09:00:36 PM »
Dear Friends,
            I make these comments about Brassers, because IN MY OPINION, they are below the quality standards I set for myself!
With a steel framed revolver, you can use light loads if Target Shooting is, "Your Thing!"  However, if you and some lady friend/wife/relative etc.are going to hike in an area where Mountain Lions or even Bobcats are known to roam, you can load the gun with stout loads, so it can be used as a weapon.  If you have purchased a Brass framed gun, you can't stoke that up to a point where the cat will be injured by it , because if the load is stout enough to deter a Cougar, the gun's frame will stretch, and you will have a Wall-Hangar!
            If on the other hand you buy a steel framed gun, "No WORRIES!" You can stoke it up until you hear the gun say UUmmph, and then next week take it to the range with 22 (Or Whatever?) grains in it and carry on target shooting!  The steel framed gun is much more VERSATILE.  The Brass framed gun cannot be used with heavy charges,  because the frame will stretch!  THE BEST GUN, is the one that is most VERSATILE! The loads I use would turn a brass framed gun into a wall hangar in six shots!  AS FAR AS i AM CONCERNED, Brass framed guns are not worth the money people spend on them, because should a situation arise, that requires a stout load, you cannot use it, without spoiling the gun for more mundane uses!
            This opinion is MY PERSONAL SLANT ON THE GUNS!  I have three Sheriff's Steel Framed  revolvers, and they have all been fed loads with Hair on their chests since I bought them!  Betsina, my firstborn, I bought on October 1st. 2011, then on April 26th 2012, I bought her Sister, Clementina, and finally on December 26th 2012, I got Sophia. All three girls have been fed a steady Diet of loads that make these guns rear back until the muzzles are raised to an angle of about 45 degrees from the horizontal when fired.
            Then a few months ago, I came across those Pyrodex Pellets.  They were a little more expensive, but I had heard good things about them, and so I bought a can of them.  Some Guns, (And no-one knows why?) will give some Hang-fires when loaded with pure Pyrodex.  One or both of my old eight inch barreled guns would do this occasionally, and so I developed the habit of  putting ten grains of Holy Black at the bottom of each chamber first, Then putting 30 grains of Pyrodex P and finally the .454 ball!  This load felt quite healthy when touched off.  However when I tried the same load, but substituted a 30 grain Pyrodex Pellet, for the 30 grains of loose Pyrodex, the extra OOmmpphh was very noticeable.  Those Pellets are HOT!  I felt as if I had set off a NIke Ground to Air Missile with my own two sweaty little hands!  It was about this time I began to use .457 balls.  I had noticed on a web site I found, that the same powder charges quite often gave an increase in velocity, when the larger ball was used.  I thought it out, and reasoned that because the bigger ball is squeezed tighter into the chambers, and I did notice it took greater effort to seat the ball firmly onto the powder, the thought came to me, that because the ball WAS a tighter fit, it would take a millisecond longer for the powder charge to, "Get It's Dander Up," and start the ball moving! That the powder charge would be already exerting greater pressure behind the ball, and that this was why the heavier ball exited the muzzle faster!  I arranged for Our Friend Richard, to try this load from HIS 5.5" Sheriff's Model, and was gratified to learn, that my load was generating an average MV of 945.5 fps.  The slowest was 922 fps, and the fastest was 985 fps. I consider this velocity, from a design that is 151 years of age, to be quite remarkable, and to me, rather gratifying!  I hope that Richard, will one of these days, obtain an 1866 revolving Carbine, so I can learn what speed this load gives from an eighteen inch barrel.  It
FELT like about 1200 fps. but only a chronograph will say for sure!
            So for the last two years, (Less a day or two!) my triplet's have been happily digesting this almost Magnum load, without ANY ILL EFFECTS!  Betsina, has been regularly used this away for THREE years, and is as tight as the day I got her. My
statistics on this matter can be verified by no less than Hawg, who I seem to recall posted some very interesting pictures of a badly mauled Recoil Shield of a brass framed gun!  I think it was a Remington, but am not absolutely sure.  Colt style Brass framed revolvers, are even more likely to "Shoot Loose," since the steel arbor is screwed into the brass frame, and the pin is                                                               
worked loose  (The Arbor) from the recoil shield.  I believe that Capt. Hewy has recently posted a tale of woe, concerning a brass framed Colt Style Revolver, That he is endeavoring to restore to a shootable condition.
            I am NOT trying to "Upset," anyone, but I do feel that a member, especially a Newbie, should have all the facts before outlaying hard won dollars on a gun which has limited useage.  Cabela's give excellent value for money on Steel Framed 1863 Remington's. (Yeah, I know!!!)  I am not sure what their price is for the brass framed gun! Never wanted a brasser, so I have not mentally docketed the price!  I would really hate to learn of a Newbie, buying a brasser, and then a few weeks later, read a posting about how the gun has shot loose, and that he is saving up for a Steel framed gun!  When had he put a little thought into the matter, he could have waited a couple of weeks, and got a steel framed gun, that will give him Excellent Service, no matter how much, or how little powder he loads it with.
            I learned many years ago, about the fallibility of Brassers.  A guy from my Gun Club in England had one, and he shot it quite a bit, then he took it to Roy Liddiard, who soon saw that the arbor had almost come loose from the frame. He showed us how, with the butt in one hand, and the muzzle in the other, there was definite "Play," in the gun.  He was kind to the guy, and told him that it needed the services of Bernie Fogan, (Our regular Tinkerer, as far as guns were concerned. He was the guy who tightened up my Thrice Accursed 1860 Army when IT shot loose!)
            People Change as they learn more of what the advantages, and disadvantages of certain guns are.  If I can help someone to get the gun they are going to be REALLY HAPPY WITH, and avoid disappointment, and spending money of a weapon that will not be what they REALLY WANT, then that makes me feel I have been helpful to them. So the guy says he only wants to shoot targets.  He buys a brasser, and then goes to a range, where he sees another Percussion shooter who is preparing for Hunting season, and is throwing balls down range at nearly 1000 fps. Our Newbie starts talking to the guy, shows him his brasser, and learns that his gun is not up to the rigors of the hunting Field!  If I were that Newbie, I'd be thinking, "Now why didn't those guys TELL ME IT WAS ONLY A LOW POWER ARM?????
            We are all part of a learning process.  I have a certain attitude to wards all weapons. The design of the Remington Revolver is excellent, and made out of steel, it will really send a ball out there.  We none of us know when a heart-stopping moment may came to us.  Maybe it NEVER WILL!  That's fine, I can live with that. but although I was never a Boy Scout, I do agree whole heartedly with the Motto they have, "Be Prepared!"  With a Steel Framed Gun, you can shoot ANY TYPE OF LOAD!
Not so with a brasser.  So if a guy is a dyed-in-the-wool-target-Shot, Fine, let him buy a brasser.  But if later he decides to go with a friend, who lives in Texas, and who has told him what fun it is to hunt wild Pig?????????????????????????????????????
I rest my case!
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 10:15:51 PM »
So if a guy is a dyed-in-the-wool-target-Shot, Fine, let him buy a brasser.  But if later he decides to go with a friend, who lives in Texas, and who has told him what fun it is to hunt wild Pig?????????????????????????????????????                                                                                         

....then I bring my Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44RM. I sure as hell ain't hunting no damn tusker with a BP revolver if I can help it!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 10:22:02 PM »
Hi, I applaud those that own both brass and steel frame revolvers.  The brass framed revolver is lower cost than the steel frame and lets a new user enter the C&B shooting sport for minimal cost. A chance to try the sport. If C&B shooting or BP cleanup isn't that persons cup of tea, the brass framed revolver is beautiful and makes for a nice piece of sculpture in a room. There is no advantage in accuracy for the steel framed revolver over the brass frame.

The point here is that if it takes a brass framed revolver to bring a new user into our sport, that's great! We all have our personal tastes and it disturbs me to no end when someone tries to piss on someone else for their decision.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:32:56 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Roadhouse

• I would gladly pay you Tues for a hamburger today
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 10:24:12 PM »
Mr. Roper,

Giving your opinion isn't the issue.   But, all I'm doing is just  }),  I give up!

GOD*GUNS*FREEDOM

Offline Electric Miner

• Forum Legend
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 06:24:08 PM »
Not to hijack the thread, but...

Gunslinger9378

You're entitled to your opinion. Everyone is. That isn't the issue. The issue is you calling those who don't share your opinion a fool.

You can give your opinion without belittling those who may not agree with you.

There's a big difference between...

I'm not fond of brass frames because of their inherent weaknesses, like the reduced loads they have to use to keep from being damaged.

-and-

Brass frame guns are for guys who take an unloaded gun to a pistol range, load it with fifteen grains (Or less!) of powder, and use it as a remote control paper punch!  I applaud Mike B's decision to sell the revolver!
When he finds a big enough fool to purchase the thing...

The first is polite. The second is not. Frankly with all the cartridge handguns available that are better suited to defend against bear or cougar, a bp pistol would be a bad choice, even if it is a steel frame gun loaded to the max. There are plenty of conversion pistols available for someone who wants to stay with a historical firearm. I carry my Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt, or my Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag. I would never carry my Remington on a hike into bear country, counting on it to protect me from an angry black bear.

Mike B,

I have owned brassers in the past, though I don't now. They do have to be downloaded from steel frame loads, but they are still great fun to shoot, and the brass frame draws some attention from fellow shooters. As far as price, keep in mind that you can mail order the same gun brand new from Cabela's for $229 right now. And for some reason, the steel frame is only $199. Go figure.

And my local gun shop has a pair of 1851-style brass-framed pistols in stock, one for $139, and one for $149. Gives you some perspective.

Me, at the age of 3, with my father's brasser...

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:04:19 PM by Electric Miner »
Navy Veteran
American Legion Member
NRA member

Offline Mike B.

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 07:56:27 AM »

Me, at the age of 3, with my father's brasser...

Electric Miner:   Love that picture...you were born to shoot.   :)
We were made to participate in real life; not to be passive observers of another's imagination communicated through advanced technology.

Offline Hellgate

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2014, 02:57:05 PM »
Me 1957 (capguns, however)
I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap & ball for having over 15 of them. That's a compliment.
SASS #3302 Life, Regulator
NRA Life
Wolverton Mtn Peacekeepers
Former Orygun Cowboy Ranger
Posse From Hell (Honorary)
RUCAS#58
DGB#29