Author Topic: CVA brasser  (Read 4795 times)

Offline Mike B.

CVA brasser
« on: November 11, 2014, 12:04:32 PM »
I was recently given this CVA brasser.  The action is stiff, but can still be easily cocked with thumb.  Everything works as it is suppose to.  The pics are fine but I believe they fail to show how the bluing is beginning to thin a bit on the barrel and cylinder.  There is no rusting in the barrel or in the chambers of the cylinder.  If I were to sell the gun, what do you think would be a fair asking price?

We were made to participate in real life; not to be passive observers of another's imagination communicated through advanced technology.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: CVA brasser
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 12:45:29 PM »
Hi Mike, Nice Brasser there.  ;)

Price wise is about $100 right now.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 10:08:29 PM »
+1 what Sam said. Not a bad gun actually. :)
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Mike B.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 08:46:54 AM »
I'm wondering why CVA made their cylinders with the very thin grooves around it.  I think it takes away from the overall look.  The cylinder on my Remmy is smooth.
We were made to participate in real life; not to be passive observers of another's imagination communicated through advanced technology.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 09:29:15 AM »
I'm wondering why CVA made their cylinders with the very thin grooves around it.  I think it takes away from the overall look.  The cylinder on my Remmy is smooth.
Just eliminated one step in the machining process, which lowered their cost.
I got a lot of CVA and Investarms and Thompson Center barrels where the marks were left in.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 11:27:34 AM »
I don't see "thin grooves", do you mean not polished?

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 06:01:41 PM »
I don't see "thin grooves", do you mean not polished?
yep not polished. the grooves are the lath tool cutting marks from forming the cylinder.
Doesn't hurt anything  just not as smooth and polished looking.
One of my 35+ year old Navy Arms  is the same way.
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 06:58:04 PM »
Mad Dog is right on with the pricing.
The grooves can easily be polished out by threading a nut and bolt through the center, chucking it in a drill press and polishing with emery cloth while spinning.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Mike B.

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 07:35:09 AM »
Thanks for the info on the cylinder.  I don't think I'll do anything to it. 

Just one more question:  The hammer doesn't cock as easily as I'd like it to.  Don't get me wrong, it's not so stiff that I have to use two hands to cock it but it's stiffer than my Pietta steel frame.  I've backed out the mainspring screw and it doesn't seem to make a difference.  I've disassembled the entire revolver, cleaned and checked every part for smoothness and it's still a bit stiff.  Any suggestions?  The trigger pulls easily and smoothly...no problem there.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 09:48:59 AM »
I also notice that the bolt leaves a ring round the cylinder, as the bolt doesn't retract enough on cocking.

Offline Hellgate

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 09:52:19 AM »
I've made several Remingtons quite manageable by knocking out the heavy Remington spring and swapping in a Colt '51/'60/SAA mainspring. You may need to trim the end if it is a little too long. The Colt spring sits at a slight angle and puts less tension on the hammer. Works for me. Some of those Remmy springs come out of old Studebakers. I just found it easier to switch springs than to try to grind down (narrow) the original springs and then polish the edges.
I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap & ball for having over 15 of them. That's a compliment.
SASS #3302 Life, Regulator
NRA Life
Wolverton Mtn Peacekeepers
Former Orygun Cowboy Ranger
Posse From Hell (Honorary)
RUCAS#58
DGB#29

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 09:58:55 AM »

Just one more question:  The hammer doesn't cock as easily as I'd like it to.  Don't get me wrong, it's not so stiff that I have to use two hands to cock it but it's stiffer than my Pietta steel frame.  I've backed out the mainspring screw and it doesn't seem to make a difference.  I've disassembled the entire revolver, cleaned and checked every part for smoothness and it's still a bit stiff.  Any suggestions?  The trigger pulls easily and smoothly...no problem there.
The first thing I would do is open it up and thoroughly clean the insides.  Could just be a little gunny from time.
Check for burs on the parts. Lube with whatever you want. Gun oil sewing machine oil etc. But realize BP and petroleum don't mix well. even though it is not traditional, a little white lithium engine assembly grease works.
Or just plain bore butter liberally applied.  Me?  I use my mix of lard (tallow) and beeswax.

The adjusting screw because of it's location really doesn't do a lot in terms of tension adjustment.
You can remove the spring pretty easily.  File a tad off each edge of spring. A little goes a long way.

yes I know you mentioned cleaning it already etc.  still that where I always start at.
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Mike B.

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 10:14:52 AM »

The first thing I would do is open it up and thoroughly clean the insides.  Could just be a little gunny from time.
Check for burs on the parts. Lube with whatever you want. Gun oil sewing machine oil etc. But realize BP and petroleum don't mix well. even though it is not traditional, a little white lithium engine assembly grease works.
Or just plain bore butter liberally applied.  Me?  I use my mix of lard (tallow) and beeswax.

The adjusting screw because of it's location really doesn't do a lot in terms of tension adjustment.
You can remove the spring pretty easily.  File a tad off each edge of spring. A little goes a long way.

yes I know you mentioned cleaning it already etc.  still that where I always start at.

Yep, I shy away from petroleum products, both in my revolvers and rifles.  By filing a tad off each edge, I hear you saying that the main spring needs to be less wide, yes?

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 10:27:48 AM »
That is right Mike,   don't mess with the thickness.   File some from each edge reducing the width of the spring.  As DD says a little goes a long way.   Reducing the thickness makes the spring more prong to breakage.

Offline Mike B.

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 10:46:03 AM »
That is right Mike,   don't mess with the thickness.   File some from each edge reducing the width of the spring.  As DD says a little goes a long way.   Reducing the thickness makes the spring more prong to breakage.

What are we talking here....a 1/16 inch total...maybe less, then I'll take more off if needed.