Author Topic: Tired of waiting for a new 1863 Pocket  (Read 11912 times)

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Re: Tired of waiting for a new 1863 Pocket
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 08:55:31 AM »
Looks like a great little revolver Richard.   Now I'm thinking I should have bought it myself.   The seller only lives 120 miles from me,  I could have picked it up in person.    Glad it's in good hands now.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 09:19:10 AM »
Looks like a great little revolver Richard.   Now I'm thinking I should have bought it myself.   The seller only lives 120 miles from me,  I could have picked it up in person.    Glad it's in good hands now.

Hi Mike, the 1863 Remington fits pretty well in the 1849 Colt holster you made for me. If you aren't interested in doing a conversion cylinder for the 1863, DGW has the brass framed 1863 in stock, ~$240. I'm buying the brass framed 1863 just for display. Those tiny revolvers are just so damn cute!!

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
Hi, my new brass framed Pietta 1863 Remington Pocket just came in the door. It is a beauty!! Fit, timing, and finish are just perfect. Here is a photo of the brass framed 1863 and steel framed 1863 together:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 02:05:41 PM »
Those look great Richard,   If I were to get one it would be a steel frame.   I do have a brass frame '58 that one of the pockets would look good with though.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 02:22:48 PM »
Hi Mike, yes, I am probably just going to use the brass framed 1863 for display and not shoot it. A close comparison of both my 1863s shows that fitting the Kirst 32 S&W conversion cylinder required some metal removal in the frame. The Kirst won't go into the brass framed 1863. Also, the hand in the Kirst converted 1863 is different than the brass framed revolver. Inserting the cap and ball cylinder in the steel framed revolver has the timing way off. IMO the steel framed 1863 was fitted with the Kirst conversion cylinder by Taylor with no intention of ever having the revolver being used cap and ball. In any event and irrespective of anything Johnnie says  ;) ;), I'm just thrilled to own these two 1863 revolvers.

Regards,
Richard

Offline rodwha

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 04:29:48 PM »
I notice the front sights look different. I'm wondering if it's a retooling issue or if it was an addition to the steel framed pistola.

There is something about those little pistols, eh? I still feel I need one...
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 04:45:25 PM »
Richard,   I can see the difference in the cylinders.   There is no spare room on the conversion cylinder within the frame.  Maybe a brass one for CB shooting and a steel one for cartridge shooting is a good idea.  I see lots of the brass ones on GunBroker but rarely see steel framed ones. 
I respect Johnnies' point of view but I think those little revolvers are pretty cool and should be a lot of fun.   Obviously not a good choice for protection but fun never the less.  That's what most of us are in this for.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 05:32:17 PM »
Would be ok for a backup gun to a full sized 1858. If you're such a bad shot you couldn't do it with the first 6.
I'd like one just because.. But only steel framed.
But pretty poor right now. Will have to wait till next year!
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 07:08:01 PM »
I notice the front sights look different. I'm wondering if it's a retooling issue or if it was an addition to the steel framed pistola.

There is something about those little pistols, eh? I still feel I need one...

Hi rodwha, you have a good eye! Yes, a past owner of the steel framed 1863 replaced the front sight with a taller copper one to have the poa=poi. The whitish color on the sight side is soft solder. The brass framed sight is made of brass.

Regards,
Richard

Offline rodwha

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 07:39:52 AM »
Do let us know how they shoot (cap n ball)!

Looking back at the pictured '63 with the Colt it appears as though the Colt is merely 1/2" longer OAL, and that ought to be a 4" barrel on it which is 1/2" longer than the '63. Would they be the same OAL if the barrel was the same length? And is the Colt significantly heavier?

I do love the look of the Colt too! Doubt I'd ever get both though… Hmmm...
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 11:07:58 AM »
Hi rodwha, the 1863 Remingtons are much lighter than the 1849 Colts unloaded:

1863 Brass frame - 14.8oz
1863 Steel frame with Kirst conversion cylinder - 14.5oz
1849 Colt with loading lever - 24.8oz
1849 Colt Wells Fargo - 23.3oz

I shot 50rds of 32 S&W this morning. Half were just pointing from the hip. The 1863 Remington is a natural pointer, all the shots from hip shooting grouped less than 2.5" from 7yds, right in the heart of my steel ISPC target. A BG would have had a very bad day.  ->i ->i

Regards,
Richard

Offline rodwha

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 11:50:01 AM »
Looking at the OAL differences in your latest picture look more than just 1/2" as it did with the yard stick. Aren't the Colt's a bit longer still excluding the extra 1/2" of barrel?

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 12:03:19 PM »
Looking at the OAL differences in your latest picture look more than just 1/2" as it did with the yard stick. Aren't the Colt's a bit longer still excluding the extra 1/2" of barrel?

Hi rodwha, the 1849 Colts have a larger frame and grip than the Remington 1863. When my wife first saw the 1863 Remington she said, "that's not a gun, it's a toy". To be honest, the 1863 just being able to shoot amazes me. It's definitely not a first gun. Only after owning a number of other BP revolvers should the 1863 be considered. When I asked Mike (duelist1954, the guy that does shooting videos) if he recommends the 1863 or 1849, he said hands down the 1849 is the preferred shooter. This is his video on the 1863:

His review of the 1849 Colt Wells Fargo:

Regards,
Richard

Offline rodwha

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 12:06:17 PM »
I'm not sure if I could get over the lack of trigger guard. But it does call to me… I think I'd prefer a Colt model overall. But there's also something about a Remington, which is odd as I couldn't stand the look initially. I think my Ruger wore me down as it looks a little similar.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 12:30:21 PM »
Yeah, the lack of a trigger guard just looks weird to me.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!