Photobucket

Author Topic: Bounty Hunter finished (99.9%)  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Bounty Hunter finished (99.9%)
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 02:46:29 PM »
Got this .50 riffled percussion, early 19th century pistol at an auction (cheap). Barrel length 5 1/2". The grip had a lousy repair and was extremely small (lady's gun?) and the trigger guard was so small I could hardly get my index in. The barrel parts are all numbered ("79), so it certainly was an item in a production series. The lock is unmarked but in good condition. The stock was of some unknown material, probably linden tree (soft).
So I thought it might be a good winter's project. Found some walnut with a fibre twist that would make a decent follow-the-contour piece of stock. Got it almost ready tonight, well ahead of the plan. Have to lathe some more screws and a new nipple.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 09:32:05 PM »
Nifty works there, guys!
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 12:37:36 PM »
Nice work in replacing the stock!

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 01:11:05 PM »
Dear Friends,
            Pardon My Ignorance Gentlemen, but was the "Bounty Hunter style Pistol," named for the type of weapon commonly used by those guys who tried to re-captured Slaves, who had absconded for Plantations?  All I have ever heard of as, "Bounty
Hunters were the fellows who tried to capture Wanted Criminals, for Reward Money, after the War Years. (!865 Onwards!)
I have seldom seen a Flint lock pistol with a barrel that long! Made me curious!  To be perfectly frank, I have often wondered if the Post War Bounty HUnters, (As portrayed in, "The Outlaw Josey Wales." ) ever really existed, or whether they were products of an inventive Movie Director's Mind?  I have only ever heard of them through Hollywierd!  Perhaps Hawg would be kind enough to straighten me out on any misconceptions I might be holding, regarding these perhaps Mythical Persons?
                                                                                     Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!