Photobucket

Author Topic: Eat your heart out Pustic  (Read 1812 times)

Offline swopjan

Eat your heart out Pustic
« on: August 19, 2014, 11:06:18 AM »
Saw you comment something about newbie's and fancy guns, thought I'd reinforce the stereotype a little  :-*

Offline swopjan

Re: Eat your heart out Pustic
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 11:07:59 AM »
Don't have pictures of the whole collection, those are some of the ones I've acquired in the past month.  _l

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 11:12:10 AM »
Swopjan, tell us some about those 2 double barrel pistols.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline swopjan

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 11:52:03 AM »
Those are Pedersoli Howdah pistols.  20 gauge smoothbores, very heavy.  Never handled any Pedersoli product at all until two weeks ago when  got the two Howdahs off of Armslist, I'm very impressed with them.  Everything locks up tight and crisp on the Howdahs, they have a captive ramrod which is a little awkward at first but it's never going to fall out and get lost.

As you can see they only have a typical front bead for sights.  I have no idea what I would do with these, practically speaking.  They'd be great if I were a bartender and needed a little sum'in'-sum'in' under the bar when the cowboys ride into down causing a ruckus  (?^  Probably be incredibly difficult and dangerous to shoot skeet with them but I'd like to try!

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 12:21:38 PM »
swopjan, now all you need is an elephant to ride when hunting tigers! ->i
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 12:39:31 PM by mazo kid »

Offline swopjan

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 02:01:18 PM »
Don't know of any elephants 'round these parts.  Could maybe rig something up to the minivan in the garage though  {L*

I do a lot of local buying/selling/trading so I'll try and keep you guys entertained every once in a while. 

Offline Kaboom

• too many hobbies, too little time.
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 02:15:47 PM »
Hey, git his address, we gonna pay a leetle visit!   {:( {:( {:(
Black Powder smoke is my aromatherapy!

Offline swopjan

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 04:09:35 PM »
Rondy at Swop's place!  You're gonna have to stand in the kitchen or the backyard tho.  Not a lot of space at the moment  (k-

Got another carbine since I posted these, haven't unpacked it as all my stuff arrived from California this morning too and I got about a third as much space here as I did in the barracks (u^   Ruger Old Army is due tomorrow, spoken for already but I'll take a pic.  Got a double-barrel 10 gauge Pedersoli I'm hoping arrives tomorrow also, I expect that one to be reeeeeeally nice.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 04:23:54 PM »
Dear Friends,
            Tiger Hunting, the way the Officers of the British Indian Army went about it, was no walk in the park!  All you have to do is look for that video on YouTube, where the Pissed Off Tiger is actually seen leaping into the Howdah!  Even the Elephant was very leery, and attempted to take,"Evasive Action.  Bengal Tigers are VERY BIG CATS!  If one gets really upset, you can almost guarantee Trouble!
            I knew a guy in Californistan, who had lived in Burma.  If they could get hold of Tiger Cubs, preferably before their eyes were opened, they would bring them up just like House Cats!  I mentioned this to Dan Haggarty, when I spoke to him in Glendale
a few months back, and he warned, "But only keep then for about four years!"  I would imagine that you'd have to be pretty careful when they were about a year too!!! When your new kitten jumps onto your trouser leg, and claws it's way up you, that's bad enough, but a cat that weights about 200 lbs. but is still just a playful kitten, could do you a Nasty! 
            When I worked for Searcher's Corporation in Little Rock, we had the contract for the Little Rock Zoo.  The Zoo Authority
didn't want Billy Joe to come sneaking in one night, to bag himself a lion of something!  The guard spent his off time, when not carrying out random patrols, in the semi submerged area, where they put the Big Cats at night.  At that time they had a magnificent Big Bengal Tiger, who was HUGE!  He must have been about ten feet from nose to butt.  I walked in one night, and he was lyng across the front of the cage, and seemed to be studying the strange creature that had walked in the door.  Just for the Heck of it, I walked to the front of the cage, and said to him,"Good evening Mr. Stripes, How are you tonight?"  To my amazement, his mouth puffed out and he made a series of low grunting sounds. As he did so, the white patches alongside his mouth, moved in time with the sounds, and as his whiskers sprouted from that area, it was almost as if they were beating time to is sounds.  So I carried on talking to him, asking if he been fed well that day, etc. Once more he answered.  I spent about fifteen minuits just talking back and forth with that huge cat.  Neither of us had the slightest idea what the other was saying, but here was quite definitely communication going on between us.  Later on that night, we had a second conversation, when the Patrol Lieutenant came by to check on me, and he was really amazed at seeing the tiger, having a conversation with a human being. He told the boss, and the Next evening, the boss came with me to the zoo, and Mr. Stripes obliged by talking to him as well!  I never got to talk tothe Keeper of the animal.  I still wish I had!
            One evening, just as I walked in, something scared me REALLY BADLY.  Mr. Stripes had two young tigresses in his cage every night, and just as I walked into the area from outside, one of these "Little Girls," got up from the elevated Excercise platform she had been lying on, and sprang straight at me!  Then she hit the chainlink fencing that was between us, and using it like a kind of vertical Trampoline, she bounced herself back to the floor of the cage.  My heart nearly stopped as I saw that cat coming straight at me.  It was a really terrifying sight.  I realised of course that she was just fooling around, and knew full well that the fence was there, but I can vouch, that when you see an almost full grown tiger, coming straight at you, it is a very frightening moment. The cats were SO BIG, I didn't think they could move that fast!  Had there been no fence there, I'd not have had a chance to do anything, except scream!  And maybe not even that! 
            I am not certain what or how, the Howdah Pistols were charged when they were in the Howdah.(For those of you who don't know, Howdah is the name of the little cabin like structure that was strapped onto the Elephants back, and in which the Hunters sat, or crouched or whatever!  I suspect they were either a very large caliber Cartridge, or heavy buckshot.  I did see an original one in the offices of Messrs. Jeffries, Gunmakers of London.  It was a breech loader, and opened for cartridges just like a double barreled shotgun would today! As I recall, the breech looked quite near 12 Gauge.  I remember remarking to the
shop Manager, that one would need, "A strong pair of hands to touch that one off!" He smiled, and showed me how he understood they were used.  The strong hand held the gun at the buttstock with two fingers in the trigger guard, and the other hand held the gun about halfway down the barrels!  He said that there had been an instance where a Gentleman had fired one, one Handed, and the gun had reared back so suddenly in recoil, the barrels had hit the Gentleman on the forehead, and cold cocked him!  No further details were available.  Nowadays, they'd make an excellent Murder weapon! There can't be too many of them in existance! The cops would be running around looking for guys with 16 or 20 gauge shotguns!
                                                                                                      Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunsliinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 01:31:15 PM »
BTT
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 06:39:42 PM »
I like the pics swopjan. Thanks for posting them. (T^
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 12:21:53 AM »
A buddy of mine shot one of those howdah pistols. Said it rearranged his brain cells..
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 06:28:54 PM »
This is on sale right now at Cabelas, Swopjan (put a 20 ga. ball in them Howdah's an let the good times roll)!

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 08:54:31 PM »
They nice guns but kind of big. Heavier than a Walker. Yep! might shoot my foot off with that one. {:(  Still like them. (T^
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 08:57:30 AM »
Seen one on Armslist (can't remember when, yesterday or last week - they always say 'the minds the first thing to go' and mine moved out about 10 years ago, didn't leave a forwarding address, don't call , never writes -) for a Perdersoli / Dixie 'kit' someone built that went for $375. Wished I'd jumped on that now. Same with a link to a $175 Walker (sent it to a guy always says he wants one,  never heard back from him - next day website said Walker sold, don't know if'n it was him or not)!