Author Topic: Diggin' the Gold  (Read 7282 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Re: Diggin' the Gold
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 11:48:53 PM »
Oh...I LIKE that one! Especially left in the white!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Lizardo

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 12:09:37 AM »
The pic doesn't really do it justice. Had a lot of time on my hands and a lot of polishing by hand and on the buffing wheel with No. 1 and No.2 Tripoli.
Weebles wobble but they won't fall down...

Offline Geraldo

• Lead singer and driver of the Winnebago
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 06:00:16 AM »
The pic doesn't really do it justice. Had a lot of time on my hands and a lot of polishing by hand and on the buffing wheel with No. 1 and No.2 Tripoli.

I'm no photographer, but you might try a pic without flash and just some good lighting (photographer always talk about good lighting, whatever that is).  The Pocket Police is a really good looking pistol.

Offline snake-eyes

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Erin Go Bragh
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 06:31:32 AM »
Lizardo,
         Photo might not be perfect,but tells me all I need to know.Nice job!
Member: NRA
Member: Columbus Muzzleloading Gun Club
Co-Founder and charter member: Traditional M/L Ass.
www.TraditionalMuzzleloadingassociation.com
If you come to a fork in the road,take it! Yogi Berra

Ever wonder who God roots for in a religious war??

Offline Lizardo

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 07:38:04 AM »
Thanks, guys. The lanyard stud is actually a Sam Browne button stud that I drilled and tapped the butt to take. Whenever I get bored, I polish some more! LOL

southernboy

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 10:57:58 AM »
That colt short barrel is a nice lookin' gun.  I like the looks of it much more that the Remington shorty.  What are your thought on the performance and handling or the two?  Do you favor one over the other?

BTW: I saw a Pietta .36 Cal 1851 Colt Navy - fancy engraved cylinder -on Gunauction.  It's currently at $130 w the auction ending tomorrow (10/20/11)

Offline Lizardo

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 01:05:31 AM »
Personally, the Colt handles a little better in my right hand, but the Remmy fits my left better.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 07:55:54 PM »
I like both of the short barrel Colts. I'm thinking that if ya pick one up you would forget weather it was a round or hex barrel. If I had a chose the round barrel would be first. Nice revolvers CK and Fingers. Lizardo. Those are cool little revolvers but every one of them I've looked at was a cool three hundred new. Still like um. :)
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 04:43:42 AM »
well speakin o brassers, i just got cabellas christmas catalog in the mail yesterday,  brass reb51 in 44[ uncorrect, but still a bpgun!]  129 bucks yal guys that like shiney things better jump , they will never be any cheaper!
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline Lizardo

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 12:11:04 AM »
Well, I've been very lucky in my purchases. The most expensive percussion revolver I have is my Paterson. I gave 225 for it through Cabelas about 16 years ago. Most of the others were 150 or less. Some I traded for.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 04:21:58 PM »
Well, I've been very lucky in my purchases. The most expensive percussion revolver I have is my Paterson. I gave 225 for it through Cabelas about 16 years ago. Most of the others were 150 or less. Some I traded for.
That's like my 1858 RNA Target model bought in 1991 I spent about $125. for it New. Now look at the price. That revolver has doubled in price at Cabelas. But it's one of the best shooters I have. It's still tight as a drum. If people like these revolvers and keep waiting the price will go up. I'm just saying if there's a revolver out there that you want it might be a good idea to go for it now and have fun with it now. A lot of my revolvers were bought within the last few years Cabelas is hard to beat in price.  :)

Offline exbrit49

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 06:34:36 PM »
Hi All, Got an invite to come over and take a peek at the site, very impressed!.
Had a couple of Remington 1858s for over 10 years now. I love shooting them and in fact just spent a couple hours casting 200 more .454 round balls.  I use the Lee aluminum molds and they shoot very well indeed with 26G of FFFg behind them. The 9 incher is a Pieta and the 12 incher is blast to shoot, I sit on my butt at the 40 yard line and rest the barrel on my knee. The accuracy is incredible and non of my modern guns, revolver or semi auto can match the accuracy.
   Hopefully I have attached a photo of them, you will have to ignore the other modern guns in the pic.
  Thanks
Roger

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 09:20:31 PM »
CK! You put any lead through that Colt shorty yet. Anyone else been shooting the shorties lately. Was temped to buy the little Colt but making myself push back the plate for this month. If I live past New Year I have three on my list but I can't make up my mine may set back and watch the Gunbroker and a couple others to see what comes up for sell. A second model Dragoon is on my list. A 1861 or 62 is on my list, and I been looking at the single shoots in .50 cal to go with my Hawken rifle. Not sure which pistol to go for in singal shot The Kentucky or the Trapper. Some of you guys that have them my be able to steer me in the right direction Id like to get the best bang for the buck. Sorry not trying to steal the thread. :)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 10:56:50 PM »
I like both of the short barrel Colts. I'm thinking that if ya pick one up you would forget weather it was a round or hex barrel. If I had a chose the round barrel would be first. Nice revolvers CK and Fingers. Lizardo. Those are cool little revolvers but every one of them I've looked at was a cool three hundred new. Still like um. :)

I know where you can get one of the Pietta .36 cal Griswold & Gunnison Sheriffs models for under $200.  Friend from my rendezvous days has one for sale & I'm not in the market for another one right now.  PM me for contact info if interested.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Capt Turk

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 10:13:11 AM »
I want one of them shorty Colts for the wife.  If the change bucket ever gets full enough, gonna get one for her.  She likes the 58 Remmy but says she would rather have a bit smaller pistol.  I think that shorty would probably just fit the bill. Is it available in .36?