Photobucket

Author Topic: Anybody here shoot an 1875?  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Anybody here shoot an 1875?
« on: July 12, 2014, 11:38:22 PM »
I am mildly curious about the 1875 Remington, currently produced by Uberti as the Frontier, Outlaw and Police (1890) models. Does anyone have any personal reviews of these in comparison to the Uberti 1873 Colts, and how do they stack up? I watched Mike Beliveau's video, but that doesn't mention balance & feel compared to a "Peacemaker".
FYI, I am looking at the .45LC version
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Anybody here shoot an 1875?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 06:41:35 AM »
No personal experience but I like the way they look. I would imagine they feel pretty much like the 58. I almost traded for one once when I was first trying to get into SASS but it was in .45 Colt and I already had a Uberti/Cimarron in 44-40 and a Rossi 92 in 44-40 so I held off and got another 44-40.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 10:34:34 AM »
I have and shoot one, and I like it. It shoots good and will handle modern ammo. I wouldn't shoot +P's out of it, but everything else I would. Mine shoots the .45 Colt.  :) I also have the Peacemaker, and they both shoot pretty much the same, I can't tell any difference between the two as far as shooting and handling goes.  ])M

{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 3:16

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 10:58:40 AM »
Thanks for the review and photos!
That '75 is particularly nice looking.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 08:04:18 PM »
Hi Capt'n, it's been a while since I shot mine and never have shot the Outlaw and Colt '73 together. Got me curious and so I came up with the following:
Colt 3rd Gen. '73, 7-1/2" barrel, 45 Colt, weighs 2#-7.6 oz.
Rem. 1875 Outlaw, 7-1/2" barrel, 44-40, weighs 2#-11.2 oz.
I would guess the weight difference is in the Rem. "wing".
I held each one as for shooting and the Colt is fairly tight to my knuckle (I have fairly large hands) at the trigger guard. The '75 Outlaw had space between the trigger guard and my knuckle. Don't know if this helps you much but are things I noticed.

I think you may be able to even see the slight difference in the grip shapes.