Author Topic: Loading Stand for an 1863 Remington Pocket?  (Read 2695 times)

Offline BP Joe

Loading Stand for an 1863 Remington Pocket?
« on: July 01, 2014, 02:30:46 PM »
Hello,

Being that I am going to someday purchase one of these little Remingtons just for fun, I was wondering if there is a bench loading stand available? I have one for my 44 New Army and it works great. I have read that the Pocket Remington's loading lever is quite small and prone to break. So far I have not found any retailers online who sell a bench loader for the 31 Remington. Anyone know if one even exists?

BP Joe  ])M

Online DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Loading Stand for an 1863 Remington Pocket?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 05:02:42 PM »
Hello,

Being that I am going to someday purchase one of these little Remingtons just for fun, I was wondering if there is a bench loading stand available? I have one for my 44 New Army and it works great. I have read that the Pocket Remington's loading lever is quite small and prone to break. So far I have not found any retailers online who sell a bench loader for the 31 Remington. Anyone know if one even exists?

BP Joe  ])M

here's a link for what you are looking for. Scroll about 1/2 way down the page and there are two off gun cylinder loaders. the second one is the one you will need. But it is $55  unless you can get a better buy.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Kaboom

• too many hobbies, too little time.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 09:03:01 PM »
Hey DD, ya forgot the link!   (o&
Black Powder smoke is my aromatherapy!

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 09:19:20 PM »
You guys are welcome to use my hydraulic rocket press.  Pack the whole can of powder into the cylinder!  Of course the ball will turn into a disc.    ->i
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member

Online DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 09:46:51 PM »
Hey DD, ya forgot the link!   (o&
Well hell you want me to do all the work?

http://www.curtrich.com/frontiersmen3.html
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline r5868

• ANZAC SONS
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 01:56:37 AM »
If that's what you get for $55 make it yourself. I knocked up one for my 1858 from scrap wood I had around in about 30 minutes. May not be the prettiest but does the job.

Online DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 10:19:42 AM »
If that's what you get for $55 make it yourself. I knocked up one for my 1858 from scrap wood I had around in about 30 minutes. May not be the prettiest but does the job.
are you confusing a wood stand that holds the revolver up right while you load it with the on board loading lever,
with the actual metal loading press that seats the balls?
His snubby either foesn't have the lever or feels it is too weak to do the job.
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 11:04:30 AM »
Hello,

BP Joe  ])M

Hi BP, BigLube makes the Dick Dastardly's Tower of Power loading tool. I made adapters to be able to use it with my 1849 .31 Pocket Colts. Dick told me that he will also supply adapters ($10) so that the Tower of Power can be used with .31 caliber cylinders.

If you don't want to spend the money, get a ball or ball mold that has the ball just fit in the cylinder chamber. Then use a stiff overball lube to keep the balls in the chambers and minimize the chance of chainfires. 50/50% beeswax and olive oil works well.

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline BP Joe

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 02:17:46 PM »
Hello all,

Thank you all for the recommendations.

I took a look at the links and one of the loaders looks like it could be used by NASA, quite a piece of engineering. Being that I already own a simple one for my 44, I took a closer look at it and I'm thinking I will just mill one for the 31 when I get it. I noticed my loading stand has a press pin to hold the brass rammer in place which would be easy enough to push out and fit a quick release pin instead. I might have to mill one for a 36 as well, which if I do that I'll have to buy a 36. What other calibers do Remys come in?

As for the lube recipe, gonna mix up some of that when I have exhausted my tube of bore butter. Prospector recommended this recipe too for hotter days.

Thanks again.

BP Joe  ])M

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 05:27:24 PM »
Hello,

BP Joe  ])M

My first foray into BP was, of course, with a Cabelas gun. The rest of the starter kit may have been functionally useless, but those odd-sized balls were the easiest I've ever found to load. Just guessing by the looks, they were about a .447, or at least they are visibly smaller than the Hornady .451 balls I compared them to.
I'm not sure where you'd get undersize .31 balls, though.

Hi BP, BigLube makes the Dick Dastardly's Tower of Power loading tool. I made adapters to be able to use it with my 1849 .31 Pocket Colts. Dick told me that he will also supply adapters ($10) so that the Tower of Power can be used with .31 caliber cylinders.

If you don't want to spend the money, get a ball or ball mold that has the ball just fit in the cylinder chamber. Then use a stiff overball lube to keep the balls in the chambers and minimize the chance of chainfires. 50/50% beeswax and olive oil works well.

Regards,
Richard