Photobucket

Author Topic: ROA holster?  (Read 2940 times)

Offline Lostcat

ROA holster?
« on: June 21, 2014, 09:53:15 AM »
Anyone know which holsters will take target ROA? IE blackhawk or vaquero 7 1/2"
here in the UK we aren't allowed any cartridge revolvers so can't try them for size,
Any clues would be much appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 10:57:04 AM by Lostcat »

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: ROA holster?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 11:32:12 AM »
Anyone know which holsters will take target ROA? IE blackhawk or vaquero 7 1/2"
here in the UK we aren't allowed any cartridge revolvers so can't try them for size,
Any clues would be much appreciated.
A holster for the Dragoon should fit  or basically any large frame revolver.

here's a link to one:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/878117/hunter-1080-double-loop-holster-right-hand-colt-single-action-army-ruger-old-army-blackhawk-vaquero-4-75-to-55-barrel-leather-antique-brown
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 12:19:32 PM »
Since its based on the Blackhawk frame a holster for a Blackhawk should fit pretty good.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Lostcat

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 12:57:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies. This is what I was looking at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111385538422?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
$80 is a lot to burn getting it to the UK if it can't even be soaked and stretched to fit,"it should" is about the best I can come up with.
We pay over the odds for everything,being stuck on an island isn't always a holiday :)
(trouble is it says BUY IT NOW.)
Update. I gave in. Like when the wife buys nice shoes,it'll fit somehow. :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:43:39 PM by Lostcat »

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 02:25:50 PM »
Well it's only $60 US money.
But it is not  really an old west design.
More of a calvary flap holster style.
But if you get tired of the flap you can do what the old cowboys did,
Cut it off and make it an open top.
Well enjoy it.
But unlike your wife's shoes....... it won't pinch your toes!!
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Lostcat

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 05:20:49 PM »
Ta for the tips,its $80 (£46) with import duty and random other charges,the seller will be lucky to see $20.
I was after a flap holster,we aren't allowed to defend ourselves in a hurry and I'd rather not do the one where it drops out onto the floor and at best shoot meself in the hand :-[
I don't wear my wifes shoes,really,never,it just didn't happen that way,
as for squeezing an old army into a UK size 4 it would need to be open toe design,someone out there would really dig a pic of that,bit busy myself.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 07:55:12 PM »
Ta for the tips,its $80 (£46) with import duty and random other charges,the seller will be lucky to see $20.
I was after a flap holster,we aren't allowed to defend ourselves in a hurry and I'd rather not do the one where it drops out onto the floor and at best shoot meself in the hand :-[
I don't wear my wifes shoes,really,never,it just didn't happen that way,
as for squeezing an old army into a UK size 4 it would need to be open toe design,someone out there would really dig a pic of that,bit busy myself.
Yeah unfortunately it adds up going overseas.
IIRC our Johnnie that last year. Shot hisself in the hand. Least wise I think it was he.
OHHH come one, we're all friends here, it's alright to bring the shoes out of the closet!, you can stake a selfie and post it here. I'm sure we'd all like to see it!! )L$
But seriously. Enjoy the holster and post up a pic with yours in it!
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 12:38:42 PM »
You mentioned "target ROA"; and I believe that has the high front sight? I would say that a holster for the old style Vaquero would be a good fit as both guns are built on the Blackhawk frame. The only problem might be that high front sight. Still, you should be able to wet-form and stretch to fit if there is interference. Good luck with your purchase, let us know how it fits....pictures, of course!

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 03:15:25 PM »
Had a similar problem with my Remy after putting a higher front sight on it. Modified an Oklahoma Leather holster by opening it up and putting some distance material between the new seam, then wet forming. Worked just fine.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 04:55:21 PM »
I can tell you the holster will be a tight fit for the ROA.  The holster you ordered is for a new model Vaquero.  The new models are smaller framed than the original Vaquero.   The older Vaquero, Blackhawk, and ROA have similar sized frames.  I have made holsters for both and the new model holster pattern is smaller. 
The good news is it will definitely stretch enough to fit.  The large front sight and the width of the rear sight will be the problem areas.  It will also be pretty snug around the cylinder/top strap area.  There is plenty of leather across the middle of the holster allowing for a lot of stretch.  You may want to tape a 3/8 or 1/4 inch dowel along the top of the barrel while stretching.  That will allow room for taller front sight.

Offline Lostcat

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 10:27:20 PM »
I can tell you the holster will be a tight fit for the ROA.  The holster you ordered is for a new model Vaquero.  The new models are smaller framed than the original Vaquero.   The older Vaquero, Blackhawk, and ROA have similar sized frames.  I have made holsters for both and the new model holster pattern is smaller. 
The good news is it will definitely stretch enough to fit.  The large front sight and the width of the rear sight will be the problem areas.  It will also be pretty snug around the cylinder/top strap area.  There is plenty of leather across the middle of the holster allowing for a lot of stretch.  You may want to tape a 3/8 or 1/4 inch dowel along the top of the barrel while stretching.  That will allow room for taller front sight.
Thanks for that,sort of help money can't buy :)

Offline Lostcat

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 11:51:04 AM »
Holster turned out to be about right.
Bagged up without any damping,as suggested taped some 1/4" dowel (square section but smoothed off some) wasn't tight as such.
Left overnight,perfect fit. 
Second image views upside down,can't help there.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:55:40 AM by Lostcat »

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 02:15:48 PM »
i'm glad it turned out well for you. Especially since you did take a chance on making the gun fit.

Offline Lostcat

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 03:23:32 PM »
i'm glad it turned out well for you. Especially since you did take a chance on making the gun fit.

Thanks for that,I was expecting it to be a stretch but maybe it was quite loose on a new Vaquero.
Navy Rems are an ok fit, 8" barrel sticks out the end though.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 04:44:03 PM »
Excellent,  glad it was that easy to fit.  I'll bet who ever is making holsters for Ruger have adapted their patterns to include most or their large frame revolvers.   I am sure a NM Vaquero would fit but be loose in that holster.