Author Topic: Beals 36 cal Navy  (Read 3987 times)

Offline t20sl

Beals 36 cal Navy
« on: June 14, 2014, 04:43:28 PM »
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 05:39:46 PM by t20sl »

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Re: Beals 36 cal Navy
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 12:04:09 AM »
Welcome to the forum!
I've never seen what you are talking about....but then, I don't own any Beals revolvers. Try checking with Hawg.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline t20sl

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 05:42:11 PM »
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 05:36:04 PM by t20sl »

Offline Battis

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 01:31:47 PM »
I have a Remington Beals .36 (top one in pic).  The internals are in the next 4 pics.  I don't know where you could buy a replacement screw but you could probably make/adapt one.  Let me know if you need more pics or info.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 01:37:38 PM by Battis »

Offline t20sl

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 06:55:05 PM »
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 05:36:32 PM by t20sl »

Offline Battis

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 05:45:32 PM »
I'm not sure what part you're talking about.
Mine was factory engraved.

Offline t20sl

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 06:27:51 AM »
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 05:36:53 PM by t20sl »

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 01:58:17 PM »
Dear t20sl,
            I have never owned an Original Remington Revolver of ANY caliber.  However the L shaped piece which is divided at the rear is called the BOLT!  It is retracted downward when the hammer is drawn back, and released upward again when the hammer is almost at Full Cock! Then as the chamber comes into line with the barrel, it slips into the longitudenal slot in the cylinder, so that it is held firm in line with the barrel for the shot.  The slots in between the Nipples at the rear of the cylinder did not actually come into being until the model of 1863. (Or so I have been told,  All replica revolver's, that have this Safety Notch are strictly models of 1863, but people have been calling them 1858's for Donkey's years, so one just has to accept it!)
            As has already been suggested to you, write a PM to our "HAWG!"  He is very knowledgeable on such matters, and I believe that he has a number of books, that contain details of Original Remington Revolver's.  He would definitely be the man to ask!   
            That Revolver is a really nice example of an original Remington revolver.  If I were you, I would not shoot it very much, since it is already at least 150 years old, and has earned it's retirement.  I suspect that in it's present condition, it would fetch a very good price from a collector who specializes in Remington Revolver's! 
            I shoot the Hell out of everything I own, but they are all either Pietta Revolvers, and the only Uberti I have is the 1866 Revolving Carbine, and that has been "Worked On," so it will accept Pietta Cylinders! (Which are fractionally longer than the Uberti Cylinders.)  The Modern relica's are a little stronger than the originals, or so I have been led to believe, and I have developed (Almost by accident!) a very hot load that produces approximately 950 fps. From my 5.5" Sheriff's Models.  I would not advise anyone to try this load in an original Remington, "Just In Case!" Unless you take the cylinder to a gunsmith who has the capability of X-Raying the cylinder, there is always the remote possibility that some of the chambers might not be as strong as they should be, due to some of the steel BETWEEN the chambers, having gotten kinda thin, due to various causes. Should one of these "Inner Walls," "Let Go," the resulting double Chamber blast may be too much for the rest of the chambers, and I
would really hate to think of you being injured, and perhaps having your friends call you, "Lefty," for the remainder of your life!
We have some very knowledgeable Members on the Forum who DO own, and SHOOT original revolvers, but I strongly suspect that they looked VERY CAREFULLY at these cylinders BEFORE submitting them to live fire once more.  I'm pretty well briefed on shooting Replica's, but if I had an original, and REALLY wanted to shoot it, I would tie it securely to a tree, and pull the trigger by means of a cord......A LONG Cord, while sheltering behind ANOTHER tree, of robust proportions! Then wait a few seconds in case there was high flying debris, still descending from the blast, before I ventured forth to inspect the revolver.  (Or what might be left of it!)  As I have gotten Older, I have gotten a little wiser! (Or maybe I've become Chicken?)  I still have eight fingers and two thumbs, and kinda want to stay thataway A very warm            (D@           to The Forum!                                                                                           
                                                                                                      Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Battis

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 03:46:37 PM »
Here are 2 pics of the bolt.  Hope it helps.

Gunslinger9378,
Why do we need books on Remingtons when I have two originals from which I can get detailed photos?
No need to hide behind a tree with a string tied to the trigger.  I shoot my originals with low powder charges, and they're fine.
1851 .36 being fired (made in 1862)

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 08:13:38 PM »
Dear Battis,
            You put your finger right on the crux of the matter when you said, "I shoot my originals with low charges............"  I don't LIKE low charges. Never shoot them. My usual load nowadays is Ten grains of Holy Black at the bottom of each chamber, then A 30 grain PyrodexPellet, then a .457 ball, with a 50% Beeswax and 50% Olive Oil mixture, lubed OVER THE BALLS!  I do not use wads!  However, the load I have developed, coupled with my, "LOADING METHOD," Guarantee's that each and every time I press the trigger, I get a full power and accurate load!
            I have been mis-counting my cylinders!  I found another one packed away with my stuff, so that means that with the four that are in Betsina, Clementina, Sohia and Katarina, I have ten additional spares! 84 rounds available to repel boarders!  Since the, "Famous But Incompetent,  (The FBI!)  tell us that in the average gunfight, each participant fires 2.5 rounds, (And I bet that .05 is a trick to shoot don't you?) I should have enough to hold my own!  At the present time, ALL cylinders are loaded with my PDL. (Personal Defense Load.) which will add a little Bite to the Fight!!!  For if anyone stops that load, fair and square between Wind and Water, the only doctor that will be able to help them, will be the Medical Examiner.(Often called, "The Coroner.")  I am also a firm believer in the wisdom supposedly voiced by the Late, Great, Nathan Bedford Forrest, in the
Need to: "Git thar Fustest with the Mostest!"  He was a very lucky man! Had 31 horses shot out from under him, and still survived the War.  On one occasion, finding himself surrounded by Union Troops, he reached down, grabbed a startled Union
Infantry man by the arm, and swung him up behind him as he galloped for the Confederate lines!  Now I have seen that stunt done, and it is hard enough when both men are acting together. However General Forrest was dragging an UNWILLING Union
soldier up behind him!  What a horseman he must have been!
                                                                                                     Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.

Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Battis

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 09:40:46 PM »
I don't shoot originals for accuracy, self defense, or any other reason that I might shoot a modern gun - I shoot them for the history.  I shoot them to hear them go BOOM.  When I say low powder charge, I'm talking 15 grs FFG Goex in the Colt .36, Whitney .36, Savage & North .36.  I use 30 grs FFG in my Remington New Model .44, which is probably the strongest antique revolver that I own.  I just like old guns.
Do you have any "modern" firearms?

Offline t20sl

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 06:45:28 AM »
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 05:37:33 PM by t20sl »

Offline t20sl

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 06:54:41 AM »
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 05:38:26 PM by t20sl »

Offline Battis

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 08:38:18 AM »
The cylinder mouths were chamfered (beveled).  I use 15 grs of FFG black powder - not FFFG. You could start with approx. 12 grs to be safe.  Just watch out for "squib rounds" where the ball does not leave the barrel due to insufficient powder (check after each shot if you're unsure).  I usually load one chamber at a time until I'm sure that the revolver works as it should.
The .36 caliber revolvers that I have could probably use a .390 roundball but I use .380.  Just seat the ball on the powder with no air space.  How many clicks do you get when cocking the hammer before full cock?  I get three.  Half cock is a very very short hammer pull on my gun and it's easy to click right past this half cock position.
The loading lever on mine has a retaining screw that doesn't allow the lever to be pulled out of the frame.
Can you post some pics? 
Do you own any reproduction/replica black powder revolvers?  I think it's a good idea to practice disassembly, cleaning, assembly, firing, etc on repros before tackling anything complicated on an original. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 08:47:17 AM by Battis »

Offline t20sl

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 06:03:14 PM »
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 05:38:47 PM by t20sl »