Author Topic: Engraved Piettas on Sale at Cabela's  (Read 39226 times)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Engraved Piettas on Sale at Cabela's
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2014, 11:10:25 AM »
Mike, will you post pictures of your progress.......please?!

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2014, 12:31:32 PM »
Pictures of shooting or the holster work?    Just kidding,  nobody wants to see me shoot.   I'll try to get some photos as I go along.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 12:43:33 PM »
Hi Mike, have you been able to determine what is the material of the gold color of the engraving?  (^h (^h (^h

Regards,
Richard

I don't really know what give it the gold tint Richard.  It looks gold in some instances and more silver in others.  It must have something to do with the way the light is reflected off the etching.
I really don't know how someone will have this gun in hand and be able to leave it untouched in the box.  you really need to get it out and wipe the oil off in order to appreciate it.
For me,  I bought this thing for myself and I will shoot it and show it off.  I will begin making the holster rig for it this weekend.

Hi Mike, thanks for the info. I will clean off the oil and inspect my revolver when it arrives. To check the action I will install a spare Pietta 1858 cylinder and work the action. That will keep any use marks off the cylinders that come with the revolver. While I really don't want to do much of anything to the revolver that prevents it from being described as new, I think it important to determine that it is perfect. If not, it goes back for replacement.

I have seen that the description of the trigger guard as nickle plated brass. Some people are sensitive to nickle and can get a contact dermatitis handling nickel.

IMO between Pietta and Uberti the 1851, 1860, and 1858 market is saturated. They need to do something new to draw new customers. The etching seems to be part of that effort. I wonder what's coming next?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Woody127

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 01:58:05 PM »
Hi Mike, have you been able to determine what is the material of the gold color of the engraving?  (^h (^h (^h

Regards,
Richard

I don't really know what give it the gold tint Richard.  It looks gold in some instances and more silver in others.  It must have something to do with the way the light is reflected off the etching.
I really don't know how someone will have this gun in hand and be able to leave it untouched in the box.  you really need to get it out and wipe the oil off in order to appreciate it.
For me,  I bought this thing for myself and I will shoot it and show it off.  I will begin making the holster rig for it this weekend.

Hi Mike, thanks for the info. I will clean off the oil and inspect my revolver when it arrives. To check the action I will install a spare Pietta 1858 cylinder and work the action. That will keep any use marks off the cylinders that come with the revolver. While I really don't want to do much of anything to the revolver that prevents it from being described as new, I think it important to determine that it is perfect. If not, it goes back for replacement.

I have seen that the description of the trigger guard as nickle plated brass. Some people are sensitive to nickle and can get a contact dermatitis handling nickel.

IMO between Pietta and Uberti the 1851, 1860, and 1858 market is saturated. They need to do something new to draw new customers. The etching seems to be part of that effort. I wonder what's coming next?

Regards,
Richard

Richard,

The Photo Engraving appears to be silver in my eyes.

I did take the spare cylinder out and check it for function and everything was perfect.

I didn't wipe off the packing lubricant, Just my fingerprints and put everything back just the way I received it.

No one will ever know. ::)

ATB

Mike

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 03:54:05 PM »

Richard,

The Photo Engraving appears to be silver in my eyes.

I did take the spare cylinder out and check it for function and everything was perfect.

I didn't wipe off the packing lubricant, Just my fingerprints and put everything back just the way I received it.

No one will ever know. ::)

ATB

Mike

You can wipe the oil off to admire it.  As soon as you put it back in the bag it gets coated again.  Mine has been wiped down a couple times and is back in the bag for another oil bath until I get to work on the holster.
I think sometimes the etching has a gold tint to and other times it looks silver.  I believe it reflects the color of the light that is hitting it.  Outside it looks silver but under incandescent light it takes on a gold tint from the amber colored light.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2014, 12:31:34 AM »
Dear Friends,
            I agree that the engraved Pietta is a very pretty gun, but I don't really want a pistol I have to wrap in cotton wool!  As I remarked in an earlier posting, I shoot the Heck out of my guns, and have never owned one I was frightened to shoot!  Nor would I buy one, if there was something about it that might go wrong, if I DID shoot it.  To Me a gun is a weapon!  A weapon is something that one possesses, in order to either protect oneself, or kill an animal for food, or to target shoot, so that one's proficiency with the weapon remains at a high standard!
            I know that there are people who have specially engraved weapons, and fancy them up with Ivory Grips, but neither the engraving or the grips make them shoot any better!  I do admit to liking the look of Ivory grips on a blued revolver! I consider the contrast very pleasing to the eye!  It may not be very practical however, for the sun might glint of the white grips, and give one away to either an enemy, or an animal one was attempting to harvest for food.  The plain wooden grips on Betsina, Clementina, and Sophia, are weathering down very nicely, especially when they are used in the Arizona Summer,when
the excessive heat here causes my hands to sweat,  I have not carried out any shade testing, but I do believe that Betsina's
grips are a little darker than when I first bought her in October 1st. 2011.  In certain lights they look almost black, which is fine by me, because then she will not draw anyone's attention!  I carry Betsina more than the other two, because she is the only
one of the three in which I have installed a Trigger Over-travel stop!  If I ever do have to shoot someone, I want the shot to be an accurate one!
            I got an E-Mail from the NRA today about, "The Armed Citizen."  There were several instances shown where armed Citizens had either killed, injured, or caused to be detained by the Police, armed Felons who had broken into thier  homes!   One person added a comment on what would be the best way of dealing with an armed intruder.  His Method, which I only partially endorse, was; "Two in the chest, and one in the Head, then wait until the bleeding stops, and THEN send for the Police."  Now I do see his point, but since he appended his name to this suggestion, another person posted that he had better not ever shoot ANYONE, because if they ever connected him with the sentiments he had expressed online, some Lawyer would fry him!  It was perhaps a little unwise of him to be so honest. However I feel the chances of a person being connected with a posting on Facebook, many weeks or longer after the rather unwise sentiments were expressed, if they DID have occasion to repel by deadly force,an armed intruder, would be very unlikely to happen.  I hasten to add, that the part of the quote I WAS in agreement with, was the first part in which correct bullet placement was stressed.  When I used to shoot I.P.S.C., this technique was called the, "Mozambique Method." and the complete rhyme went,"Two in the chest, and one in the head, will very surely, leave you dead. I have not heard much about I.P.S.C. lately.  It may have become politically Incorrect, because it stressed Combat Techniques in the use of Firearms! In which Competitors had to shoot their strings of shots rapidly, and correct Bullet placement with powerful loads were rewarded with higher marks.  The areas on the target were known as "Kill Zones,"  "Serious Wound Zones," and "Superficial Wound Zones."  This  May have caused serious palpitations among certain Democratic Politicians!  About the only weapon that one could be really successful in the game with, was the 1911 Colt Auto IN .45 ACP caliber!  I still believe that in spite of the numerous Half-Plastic, "Made by Mattel," creations that have proliferated from people like Glock, The 1911 Colt Auto is STILL one of the finest self defense handguns in the world!  The trouble is they have become very expensive!  Takes a rich man to afford to care for and feed them, let alone purchase a good one!!!
            I am not one to talk, when it comes to being tactful!  As some of you may have noticed, I have strong views on certain aspects of our present society, and would go so far as to advocate the Death Penalty being brought back in ALL 50 STATES, especially for the Murder of a Police Officer, or Murder committed when in the course of a Felony!  Such as Armed Robbery. The
Courtroom at Fort Smith, on the borders of Arkansas & Oklahoma is still kept much as it was when Justice Isaac C.Parker ruled the Indian Territory.  The Hanging Judge, as he was known, was in many ways far ahead of his time.  On the tables in the courtroom, are many of his quotes.  One that I particularly recall went:  "It is not the Severity of a Punishment that deters, but the Certainty of it!" Some Criminals are so stupid, they commit serious crimes when under the influence of drugs or Alcohol! With very little intelligence to begin with, they further lessen their chances of clear thought, by imbibing Strong Drink, or Illicit
Controlled Substances! I've no patience when lawyers try to get leniency for them by telling the court that they were under the influence of Narcotics, and didn't realize the seriousness of their actions!  I would say, that no-one put a gun to their heads and FORCED them to take the drugs, so, "Hard Luck, Go Directly to jail, DO NOT pass GO!" I'd also put a time limit on how long a man sentenced to die, for a Serious Crime, could continue to Cheat Justice, with a series of Appeals!  There are guys on Death Row, who have been there for over TEN YEARS!  We, the tax-payers, are keeping them in comfortable beds, three square meals a day, and Color TV! THIS IS BULLDUST!  Put 'em all to Death, and save our Tax Dollars!
                                                                                                      Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:37:51 AM by Gunslinger9378 »
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2014, 06:37:31 AM »
Hi Johnnie, don't worry, I won't send you the gift of my engraved Pietta 1858.

Most people that I see buying the engraved 1858 already have enough 1858s where the engraved revolver won't be used for defense. You should be happy for the people that got such a good deal. Don't be such a curmudgeon.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Prospector

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2014, 06:55:48 AM »
The price jumped back to $300 overnight.

Offline Tincan Hunter

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2014, 06:16:53 PM »
Dammit, I didn't need another gun, but with the sale, free shipping and $60 in Cabelas points. I now have one on the way!

Offline st8linegunsmith

• Teh Polygrip Kids Alter Ego
    • Chat Town Leather Heads Leather Working Guild Chattanooga, TN
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2014, 06:55:57 PM »
dAm Tin can thats only 170 bucks, thats a real deal!

Offline Sooty Barrels

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2014, 03:58:44 PM »
 ])M Darn it, UPS tryed delivering my engraved 58' and I missed the delivery! Now I have to wait untill Monday.  ^y%
Shoot-em if you got-em!

Offline Kaboom

• too many hobbies, too little time.
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2014, 04:33:05 PM »
Dammit, I didn't need another gun, but with the sale, free shipping and $60 in Cabelas points. I now have one on the way!

free shipping?????   how come I got no free shipping?????
Black Powder smoke is my aromatherapy!

Offline Sooty Barrels

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2014, 04:38:19 PM »
 ])M There was free shipping for spending over  $99. for a limited time.  :)
Shoot-em if you got-em!

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2014, 04:55:29 PM »
Maybe you overlooked the free shipping offer due to the pain meds for your shoulder.  It could happen to anbody. 
The free shipping on $99 or more si still going on,  until tomorrow.  Maybe you can call and get it credited back to you.   Cabelas is usually good about those things.

Offline DaveInGA

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2014, 06:05:26 PM »
])M Darn it, UPS tryed delivering my engraved 58' and I missed the delivery! Now I have to wait untill Monday.  ^y%

What was your order date?  I can't believe you missed the delivery. {:(
Dave In Georgia