Author Topic: Stainless v. Blued Steel -- which is "better"  (Read 9540 times)

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
Re: Stainless v. Blued Steel -- which is "better"
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 11:55:47 PM »
751510shooter does sort of make a point. If you want a very low maintenance revolver you could Duracoat, Ceracote, or parkerize your blued revolver for less than 30 bucks. $200-$250 for your Cabela's Christmas special one, or in the $250-$300 range for a Traditions  one, plus 30 bucks for a spray kit and you could have the low maintenance of stainless, with a more traditional look.
You'd have almost enough left over money-wise and finish-wise to purchase and coat a second Pietta and still be in the price range of that fancy Black Rock dealie. Or you could coat one for roughly the price of some stainless ones.

Offline 751510shooter

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 07:40:58 PM »
751510shooter does sort of make a point. If you want a very low maintenance revolver you could Duracoat, Ceracote, or parkerize your blued revolver for less than 30 bucks. $200-$250 for your Cabela's Christmas special one, or in the $250-$300 range for a Traditions  one, plus 30 bucks for a spray kit and you could have the low maintenance of stainless, with a more traditional look.
You'd have almost enough left over money-wise and finish-wise to purchase and coat a second Pietta and still be in the price range of that fancy Black Rock dealie. Or you could coat one for roughly the price of some stainless ones.
Yeah I don't exactly have enough shooting and cleaning data yet to confirm the legitimacy or this new finish, or justify it against it's rather steep price, I don't really know what the finish itself would cost on the side, A' La' Carte' so to speak, but I could assume about $100 bucks since that is how much more it cost me than the regular blued. It's holding up great so far, even when I clean it, it's almost as if I didn't need to yet. Crud just doesn't want to stick to it that much. You don't really have to use a cleaner or solvent, just scrape with a copper brush (.44 cal or 9mm) then swab out until clean, run the oil patch through last. Works great.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 09:49:03 AM »
Lot of new movies out that apparently weren't heavily advertised. But then again I don't have regular TV
Check out Dawn Rider from a couple years ago. Also pretty authentic.
Christian Slater and Donald Sutherland
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline scbuxton

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 08:03:47 PM »
Stainless is the only way to go for me.  I live in the south and in the swamp. Most of the year it is above 85% humidity and hot enough to make me sweat. Blue steel is great for a trip to the indoor range,  but day after day of outdoor range activities, especially multi day camp out events make me appreciate the stainless.  I've had blue steel developed a skim of rust overnight in damp conditions.  Of course it comes right off with a gentle oooo steel wool rub, but eventually the blue will get thin. Stainless never gets thin. Light scratches or marks are easily repaired on stainless with steel wool or judicious use of the correct grit Al ox paper.
I have carried a stainless NAA mini in my pocket for years and it requires little mantainance to look and function as new. Try that with blue steel.
I have both and love them all but stainless is the one for me.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 06:15:13 PM »
I have a stainless steel Pietta 1858 "Buffalo" - if I ever wanted to "blue" it I could (chemicals available to make them almost charcoal black), however only thing I'm thinking of changing is having top 3 barrel flats and frame "backstrap" bead-blasted! Other than that, I would not touch it appearance-wise.(Well, maybe some engraving one of these days).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:05:13 PM by old fogey »

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 06:18:10 PM »
I have a stainless steel Pietta 1858 "Buffalo" - if I ever wanted to "blue" it I could (chemicals available to make them almost charcoal black) ...

Expound on that there "charcoal black" subject, please.
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 07:54:14 PM »
There are solutions (chemical solutions,) that you can put stainless steel into which gives whatever stainless you place into it a almost charcoal black color (there are actually several chemicals which will oxidize stainless , ranging from the common medicine cabinet staple Alka-Seltzer to more dramatic chemicals). It's all a question of what you want versus what you're willing to pay. If you have like this result, then you can get off cheap at $20. If not, well, how much are you willing to pay?

If you're looking for a way to do this at home yourself, this boob-tube should be a good starting point.

Felt (after review,) that I should point out that the processes which I'm referring to is typically known as "bluing",(i.e. "oxidizing") and that there are a good many processes to "blacken" stainless steel (far to many for me to know much about, some are fairly industry specific and only used in surgical implants, e.g., nitriding, carberizing, etc...), just depends on what you want.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:37:36 PM by old fogey »

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 08:41:43 PM »
Thank you.  Your replie revived a thread in the metals forum of which I had forgotten.
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 08:55:44 PM »
Sure, no problem.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 12:36:36 AM »
Stainless can be blued. Back in the 60s and 70s Remington used blued stainless barrels on blue 7 mm magnum 700s to help with barrel erosion. They didn't say much about it for fear of scaring people away and it aquiring the rep of barrel eater. Stainless has been around a while, WW2 M1 rifles use a stainless part in the gas system.

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 12:39:36 AM »
Aasking which is "better"...  Ginger or Maryanne...

Wait a minute.  They *rust*???

Hi Classanr, based on current photos, yes they do!  {:( {:( {:(

Regards,
Richard

I get MaryAnne's facebook feeds.. that aint never rusted, not one bit.... ALways been a MaryAnne fan (and yes Velma, over what the blonde was for you Scooby Doo types)
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 02:40:28 AM »
Aasking which is "better"...  Ginger or Maryanne...

Wait a minute.  They *rust*???

Hi Classanr, based on current photos, yes they do!  {:( {:( {:(

Regards,
Richard

I get MaryAnne's facebook feeds.. that aint never rusted, not one bit.... ALways been a MaryAnne fan (and yes Velma, over what the blonde was for you Scooby Doo types)

Somebody must be keeping it well lubed & maintained then.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 01:24:28 PM »
Which, Ginger or Mary-Ann?

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 02:26:09 PM »
If I was stranded on the island with emm it'd be both.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 03:45:36 PM »
Ginger for me!  (?^   (T^
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!