Photobucket

Author Topic: Stainless v. Blued Steel -- which is "better"  (Read 7421 times)

Offline ChrisPaul

Stainless v. Blued Steel -- which is "better"
« on: May 02, 2014, 03:03:31 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I've been saving up for a stainless Pietta 1858, but I'm getting too impatient and Cabela's has a great price on the blued version (good price on the case-hardened, diamond grips, too, for that matter).  Is stainless worth the wait for the next paycheck (or two)?  I'm not a reenactor, so authenticity isn't a factor.  I'm looking mainly at ease of cleanup, ability to store a loaded cylinder for a time without worrying about corrosion, whether the bluing wears off considerably over time, etc.  Any info or comparisons/opinions are greatly appreciated -- thanks!

Best Wishes,
Chris

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Stainless v. Blued Steel -- which is "better"
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 05:21:41 PM »
Never had stainless. Blued is easy to clean, I doubt stainless is any easier. You can leave blued cylinders loaded for as long as you want without corrosion. Bluing will eventually wear with use, heavy holster use will speed it up.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 06:14:37 PM »
Never had stainless. Blued is easy to clean, I doubt stainless is any easier. You can leave blued cylinders loaded for as long as you want without corrosion. Bluing will eventually wear with use, heavy holster use will speed it up.

I agree with Hawg on all points.  I would like to state that SS revolvers do look good no matter what kind.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 07:22:38 PM »
Dear Friends,
            No matter what the color of the damned gun, if you shoot it, you have to clean it!  Stainless may take longer to corrode, but give it time, and it will do so.  Also we live in troubled times!  If the Chocolate Covered Toffee Crunch DOES come to pass, I for one do not want sunlight reflecting off the stainless steel of my revolvers, and telling the F.E.M.A.Thugs where I am!  In the, "Good Old Days," we worried about the light reflecting from our weapons and letting the Apache know our whereabouts!  I'd choose the Apache over the F.E.M.A. thugs if I had my druthers! If the Apache knew that you were an honorable man who DID NOT LIE, you had a good chance of winning their approval. The F.E.M.A.Thugs, will be the lowest of the Bar Scourings, and will have No Honor at all.  If I was wanting to do a Roy Roger's, or Gene Autrey Imitiation, then I might get some stainless steel guns.  I believe that Roy & Gene were Two Hell of a Good Men, but their movies were
completely out of touch with reality!  Even the Duke, (John Wayne.) made movies that flirted with many inaccuracies!  The Duke DID wear his gun in a rig, that would have been pretty correct for the time most of his movies were set in!  In "Red River," he should have been wearing a
Dragoon or a Remington Beals, and the cattle Drive he went on, would have been in 1866, Seven years before the first Peacemakers were in
production!
            In, "The Comanchero's," the movie starts out with Stuart Whitman, (As Monsieur Paul Regret.) fighting a duel in New Orleans, in the year, 1843!  Regret makes a run for it when he kills his oppoment, who turns out to be the son of a prominent Judge, but it cannot have been more than a few months later when Texas Ranger Jake Cutter, (Wayne.) boards the riverboat Regret is on, and arrests him.  Wayne is packing his usual Ivory Butted Colt Frontier with the 4.75" barrel. In at the very latest, 1844! That's twenty-nine years before the gun was ever produced!  Don't get me wrong! I have TEN John Wayne Movies on DVD in a bookcase less than two feet from my right elbow.  I watch them every now and then, and enjoy them, even though I know exactly what is coming!  Ana says I only watch them to make sure the Duke has his lines right!.  I enjoy much more the more recent crop of movies that have endeavored to show this country, and it's people as they really were. Movies like, "The Sackett's," "Crossfire Trail," "Last Stand at Saber River," "The Quick and the Dead," Sam Elliot Version! "Open Range,"
with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall, And of course the eight disk, four part series, "Comanche Moon," "Lonesome Dove," "Return to Lonesome Dove," and "Streets of Laredo!" All based on books by Larry McMurty.  I also have a lot of Clint Eastwood Movies. Including the Spaghetti Ones like, "Fistful of Dollars," and "For a Few Dollars More." I also have, "Joe Kidd," "Hang 'em High," and the imortal,"The Outlaw
JOsey Wales." I want to get, "Pale Rider," as well, for my Cassette version is almost worn out, and has severe, "Herky-Jerkies!" Then there are an even more recent crop of movies, that I have downloaded from YouTube.com.  They mostly show a Spaghetti Influence, but ae well made, and they don't shirk from Violence.  Violence may not be something you want your children to see, but in movies that purport to tell the truth of those turbulent years, violence was a fact of life! One DVD I have is of, "Ride with The Devil," and follow's the fortunes of a bunch of Southern boys who become Guerilla's, and this movie has the best re-enactment of Quantrell's Raid on Lawrence, Kansas, I have ever seen.I had this movie on cassette, but it was going bad, and so I got Ana to get me a DVD of it. Fine Movie!  Tells it like it really was!  No punches
pulled! "Dances With Wolves," is one of the movies that started this "New Wave," of realism in movies, and Kevin Costner can be thanked for that.  He has developed some fine talent, in his abiity to play very varied roles with realism. For instance. Check him out in, "Dances With Wolves,  and then in "Hatfields & McCoys!"
                                                                                                        Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Roadhouse

• I would gladly pay you Tues for a hamburger today
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 08:29:25 PM »
I really don't know which or if one is better than the other. I have blued and stainless both. I have never found any kind of rust on the stainless and only in the "little crannies" on the inside of a blued gun. I find the stainless much easier to clean and also fouling doesn't stick as much, when you are shooting.

It really depends on what "tickles your fancy". One's not any better than the other.

I really don't understand the whole light reflecting thing that Johnnie talks about. ??? ??? ???  The light reflects off of both types of finishes.  (^h

Here's a photo of a blued finish. And this is after shooting 24 rounds.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 08:35:34 PM by Roadhouse »
GOD*GUNS*FREEDOM

Offline GaryB

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 06:26:39 PM »
I have both and I use the stainless  more than the  blued. Have never had a problem with either one.  (T^
Retire military, Retired Boeing

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 11:44:16 PM »
Stainless is better IMHO for ease of cleanup and rust resistance. As was mentioned, any finish will rust if you don't clean it. SS is just a wee bit more forgiving. I love my SS Remmy, but I like my blued versions as well. What's most important is that they are cleaned & cared for properly.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 12:07:32 PM »
To each his own and what your pocket book can afford.
Personally I try to be more of a purist as much as possible.
Stainless was not available back then.
Stainless didn't really have a successful formulation until after the early 1900's.
Yes stainless may be a little more forgiving on being lax in your cleaning.
But regardless of the gun you shoot (BP or MODERN) one of your responsibilities as competent owner of the gun
is to clean it thoroughly as soon as practical after shooting.
Another draw back to stainless as said before, is that it readily reflects light.
Thus giving your location away whether stalking animals during hunting season, or other more covert operations.
Me I will stick with the blued metal
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 01:59:50 PM »
Aasking which is "better", blued or stainless steel revolver is like asking if a Ford or Chevy; or Ginger or Maryanne is better.  I personally like blued finish over stainless.  But, that's just my preference.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 10:27:13 PM »
Aasking which is "better"...  Ginger or Maryanne...

Wait a minute.  They *rust*???
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 04:17:40 AM »

Not if you keep them lubed. (k-
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 02:29:09 PM »

Hi Classanr, based on current photos, yes they do!  {:( {:( {:(

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 751510shooter

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 08:21:16 PM »
I'll tell you which one is better buddy! Neither! In my opinion. For what you are talking about, exactly what you need, is the all new Black Rock finish from Taylor & Co. Just bought one, $418 pus shipping. Here, below.
http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/review/product/list/id/4758/category/148/#customer-reviews

Offline 751510shooter

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 08:33:16 PM »
Dear Friends,
            No matter what the color of the damned gun, if you shoot it, you have to clean it!  Stainless may take longer to corrode, but give it time, and it will do so.  Also we live in troubled times!  If the Chocolate Covered Toffee Crunch DOES come to pass, I for one do not want sunlight reflecting off the stainless steel of my revolvers, and telling the F.E.M.A.Thugs where I am!  In the, "Good Old Days," we worried about the light reflecting from our weapons and letting the Apache know our whereabouts!  I'd choose the Apache over the F.E.M.A. thugs if I had my druthers! If the Apache knew that you were an honorable man who DID NOT LIE, you had a good chance of winning their approval. The F.E.M.A.Thugs, will be the lowest of the Bar Scourings, and will have No Honor at all.  If I was wanting to do a Roy Roger's, or Gene Autrey Imitiation, then I might get some stainless steel guns.  I believe that Roy & Gene were Two Hell of a Good Men, but their movies were
completely out of touch with reality!  Even the Duke, (John Wayne.) made movies that flirted with many inaccuracies!  The Duke DID wear his gun in a rig, that would have been pretty correct for the time most of his movies were set in!  In "Red River," he should have been wearing a
Dragoon or a Remington Beals, and the cattle Drive he went on, would have been in 1866, Seven years before the first Peacemakers were in
production!
            In, "The Comanchero's," the movie starts out with Stuart Whitman, (As Monsieur Paul Regret.) fighting a duel in New Orleans, in the year, 1843!  Regret makes a run for it when he kills his oppoment, who turns out to be the son of a prominent Judge, but it cannot have been more than a few months later when Texas Ranger Jake Cutter, (Wayne.) boards the riverboat Regret is on, and arrests him.  Wayne is packing his usual Ivory Butted Colt Frontier with the 4.75" barrel. In at the very latest, 1844! That's twenty-nine years before the gun was ever produced!  Don't get me wrong! I have TEN John Wayne Movies on DVD in a bookcase less than two feet from my right elbow.  I watch them every now and then, and enjoy them, even though I know exactly what is coming!  Ana says I only watch them to make sure the Duke has his lines right!.  I enjoy much more the more recent crop of movies that have endeavored to show this country, and it's people as they really were. Movies like, "The Sackett's," "Crossfire Trail," "Last Stand at Saber River," "The Quick and the Dead," Sam Elliot Version! "Open Range,"
with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall, And of course the eight disk, four part series, "Comanche Moon," "Lonesome Dove," "Return to Lonesome Dove," and "Streets of Laredo!" All based on books by Larry McMurty.  I also have a lot of Clint Eastwood Movies. Including the Spaghetti Ones like, "Fistful of Dollars," and "For a Few Dollars More." I also have, "Joe Kidd," "Hang 'em High," and the imortal,"The Outlaw
JOsey Wales." I want to get, "Pale Rider," as well, for my Cassette version is almost worn out, and has severe, "Herky-Jerkies!" Then there are an even more recent crop of movies, that I have downloaded from YouTube.com.  They mostly show a Spaghetti Influence, but ae well made, and they don't shirk from Violence.  Violence may not be something you want your children to see, but in movies that purport to tell the truth of those turbulent years, violence was a fact of life! One DVD I have is of, "Ride with The Devil," and follow's the fortunes of a bunch of Southern boys who become Guerilla's, and this movie has the best re-enactment of Quantrell's Raid on Lawrence, Kansas, I have ever seen.I had this movie on cassette, but it was going bad, and so I got Ana to get me a DVD of it. Fine Movie!  Tells it like it really was!  No punches
pulled! "Dances With Wolves," is one of the movies that started this "New Wave," of realism in movies, and Kevin Costner can be thanked for that.  He has developed some fine talent, in his abiity to play very varied roles with realism. For instance. Check him out in, "Dances With Wolves,  and then in "Hatfields & McCoys!"
                                                                                                        Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Man I just watched "Unforgiven" with Clint Eastwood, and Morgan Freeman, and I was blown away. One of the coolest modern westerns I've seen in a long time. Also just watched Sam Elliot in "Gone to Texas" which details the history of Texas quite well, all the way up to the great battle of San Jacinto, which is right where I live just about. Went to San Jacinto college, been to the San Jacinto monument, even had a job for an environmental company helping to save the great battleship Texas from sinking, (got paid to watch a pump suck water out of the hull while the patch was welded in {L*) which is right next to the San Jacinto monument. Been to the Alamo too, that's a sadder part of Texas history.. Another great flick is "The Lone Ranger" with Johnny Depp of all people. Not to downplay his acting or anything, just the fact that he starred in a rather accurate western, set during 1869. Right at the birth of the rim-fire cartridge. Any suggestions for future movie ideas with Eastwood? I'd like to catch up on some of his stuff. I think i'm behind if I haven't seen Unforgiven (1992) up until a few days ago  ;)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 11:00:07 PM »
I will, of course, assume you've seen Josey Wales....... (^h
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"