Photobucket

Author Topic: Home Brewed .31 cal pistol  (Read 2563 times)

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
Home Brewed .31 cal pistol
« on: April 06, 2014, 03:41:13 PM »
OK, here is a range report of a .31 cal (Enfield .303 barrel piece) that I shot last week.
11 meters (11 yards), 30gr of 777 FFFg, .310 round ball (it just fits down the barrel and hits the rifling. The frame is 1/2 inch square tubing, etc. Effective barrel is about 2 inches after loading all the above stuff. No rear sight, yet.

I hope the picture link works:  M__

Comments appreciated, questions answered too.

Paul
Paul
Making Underhammers and Muleys too.
NMLRA & NRA EPL, Muzzleloader Mag.

Offline sltm1

Re: Home Brewed .31 cal pistol
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 05:20:48 PM »
Thats a great looking gun, nice work. I'd wager a rear site and somewhat less powder and that gun will perform nicely. The 31 cal originals  (Colt & Remmie), only took around 10g if I'm not mistaken
Life's tough...it's tougher when yer stupid !!

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 06:54:16 PM »
Yes, 30gr of FFFg was a bit of a hoot!  Fireball and all.  _l  {?|

Thanks,
Paul
Paul

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 11:49:52 AM »
OK, here's another one (#3) with .40 cal smooth bore and a new, as of today, holster.  This is my first attempt at holster making so "comment away"!  Not much designing or staining just wanted to see how it worked.  Stitching spacer was used then drilled with a 1/16 inch drill bit.  Still need to pick up a stitching groover.  I used cereal box card stock to make the pattern and went from there.  It took a lot of reading to make sure the sequence was correct in the assembly of said item.  Leather was picked up at the Tandy store in Phoenix and is 6-7 oz.
Thanks!

Paul

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 02:58:56 PM »
Dear Bart Snr.
            I had a .303 Enfield, and if I recall correctly the true bore on that caliber .311.  I am not sure what round balls are available that would
be a nice fit for that barrel, but I just assumed the .303 you were speaking of was the British Enfield.  I believe there is an American .303, possibly made by Savage.  I have no idea what the calibraton of that one might be!  I have never owned one. However I have had two Lee Enfield's, and they were both VERY accurate.
            Very ingenius pistol!  Was it just a pure experiment, of did you have a purpose for it in mind?  That annoying Dog of your neighbors, or the cat that keeps pooping where your wife has planted seedlings?
                                                                                                        Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 04:52:18 PM »
John,

I bought a DP marked Enfield .303 barrel from Rick Reich (on GunBoards) in Nevada, it was about $15 including postage. Apparently he had a pile of them.  It was an experiment, just wanted a small caliber pistol.  Although this particular one is .395 smooth bore so it can use .375 round balls (with patch) or "bullets" that are piled up in the garage.  M__  :-*
Paul

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 04:56:27 PM »
I like the under barrel action, and it certainly gives it an early percussion look, but I was curious as to why you chose that over a more "traditional" design? also, do you have trouble keeping caps on it?

We have come very close to ordering some "Swiss" rifles and pistols from Pietta with the under barrel action, but we keep talking ourselves out of it for various reasons. I wonder if we could sell any?

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 05:00:46 PM »
We carry .310 balls, and we used to carry .312. What caliber were the ones you used?

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 05:17:22 PM »
Love the underhammer pistols and the holster Bart.  Looks like a well matched set.  I know a couple guys who shoot competitively with underhammer designs.  I've never had the opportunity to shoot one.  Looks like fun to me.

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 10:36:48 PM »
I like the under barrel action, and it certainly gives it an early percussion look, but I was curious as to why you chose that over a more "traditional" design? also, do you have trouble keeping caps on it?
Pale,
1.) I come from a now defunct website "garagegunsmithing.com" where folks did build all kinds of weird things that would shoot wonderfully. I learned that underhammer stuff there.

2.) I used .310 balls on the two pistols (#1 and #2) with Enfield barrel pieces.

Note: this particular pistol (#3) uses  .375 or .380 RB's or  bullets, it's a .395 bore.

Mike116,
Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate that.
You should try one, the trigger is nice and smooth, you cannot tell when it's going to break.

Paul (Off to try another leather project)....  :9)
Paul

Offline Erich

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 02:37:27 PM »
Pretty darned neat, Paul - thanks for sharing. Who knows who'll you'll inspire to build something at home?  {L*

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 11:30:19 AM »
Nice! Paul, how many of those under hammer actions have you built now?

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 11:11:26 AM »
Nice! Paul, how many of those under hammer actions have you built now?
Welllll, I've lost count, really. I have about 5 rifles, maybe 15 pistols. Some pistols are MIA as they were re-purposed.
Some are just actions sitting in plastic baggies waiting for the opportune moment. I have two barrels left for future projects.

So far I'm liking .40 cal as I can use the .375 RB's or bullets that fit the .36 cal revolvers.

To stave off boredom I've been making holsters to fit most all of the revolvers (6) including the Walker, and one for my wife's .357 maggie.  http://www.pinterest.com/idezilla/leather-crafting/ Pictures here

I like to keep busy.  _l

Paul
Paul

Offline Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Official Mad Dog Nose Tweaker.
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 03:17:06 PM »
Were those .303 barrels new? Or were they shot out?
“The path of the warrior is difficult! We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves! Honour in serving! Honour in defending! Honour in dying for a just cause!”

"A knight is sworn to valor; His heart knows only virtue; His blade defends the helpless; His might upholds the weak; His word speaks only truth,
and his wrath undoes the wicked."

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 11:38:26 PM »
Were those .303 barrels new? Or were they shot out?

The single .303 barrel I purchased (which became several pistols) was a DP model. Every part was stamped DP.

Paul
Paul