Photobucket

Author Topic: My new neck holster DIY  (Read 3840 times)

Offline Prospector

Re: My new neck holster DIY
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 10:01:31 PM »
My only problem with this carry option is that it violates at least one of the four basic rules of gun safety, "Never let the muzzle cover anything that you do not intend to destroy".  I am not sure how this revolver works, but if it works like most single action revolvers, even if the hammer is resting on an empty chamber, and you have it down inside your clothes, are you ABSOLUTELY certain that the hammer spur will not hang on a button or button hole as you are pulling the revolver out, and cocks just enough to advance the cylinder to the next chamber, then breaks free before getting to the sear notch.  Pow,  right up through the lower jaw.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 11:05:10 PM »
So the key to making this work is  .22 cleaning brush, it holds the barrel nice and snug, then I screed a wire nut onto it to give it some grip. A simple paracord and some knots and it's the perfect under shirt holster

Wow I can't believe it.  I've been putting all this expense and effort into leather and carving and sewing and such when all I really needed is a piece of string and and a round wire brush.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 11:24:59 PM »
Yep, people shoot themselves in the leg, groin, foot and ass drawing from a belt holster.  Some have shot themselves re-holstering.  Some shoot their off hand in a cross draw.  Some shoot themselves when the gun falls out of the holster and bounces on the floor.  Usually, the spur catches something in the movement.  Even hammerless guns go off when "something" snags on the trigger.  However, you are statistically less likely to have an "accident" while armed than while driving, and more likely to kill yourself behind the wheel of your car.

Holster your gun.  Sit in your car seat.  Where is the muzzle pointing?  Thigh or kneecap.  OK, that's a bit better than the head.  Now put on your seatbelt.  Will buckling or unbuckling absolutely be impossible to snag your hammer?  Where else do you put your gun?  Glove compartment?  Ever see what happens to the contents of the compartment during an accident?  Flys all over the place.

Neck carry is definitely a personal choice.  But it is statistically less dangerous than operating a chainsaw overhead in tree branches.  Or running your lawnmower in sandals.  Or roaring down the road without a helmet or leathers.

They are all hunks of metal, dangerous only in respect to the operator's judgement and actions.

With all that said in defense of neck carry, leathersmithmike can make a nifty holster that night be a bit more "gripping" than clamping just around the short barrel.  In my life, I have had too many wire nuts work themselves loose  ^y%, clever though they might be.
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 11:50:43 PM »
Dear Friends,
            I thought I had made it perfectly clear that I do carry a 5.5" Remington CONCEALED! Completely concealed!  No-one except certain police officers I know, are aware I am carrying!  I would hate to get so close to a person who was threatening me, that I was able to push the barrel of my weapon up his nose!  I mean to say, I might get snot all over my gun!!! That would never do.  I would carry a MOd 1911 in .45 ACP if I had the money to purchase one at about $800.oo for the cheaper ones!  None of my Triplets cost me over 200.oo. Ballistically, they may even be superior to the 45 ACP?  Pure lead does terrible things to living tissue, especially at over 900 fps!  I also imagine that it would be very frightening to have a great cloud of smoke envelop one, and if they had got close enough to me, perhaps their clothes on fire!  Ana has been around me now for over two years, and her former husband used to shoot .38 revolvers. She has told me that my guns, are the loudest she has ever heard!  Last week-end she made the comment that they sounded, "Like The Crack of Doom!"  I have always said that black Powder revolvers are the noisiest guns on the planet!  The blast from one, even if you are standing to one side when they are fired, you not only hear, you FEEL them as they make the hair on you body vibrate!  An old friend of mine, now living in Germany I believe, was standing behind me when I shot off the Remington I had in Britain.  I fired the first round, then turned and looked at him to see what his reaction was.
He looked at me and said, "I felt that in my testicles!" (NO! I didn't shoot him there!) There's just something about all that smoke and flame,
that really gets to one.  That's why we are all so enthusiastic about these guns! They are somehow very special. They have a kind of Mystique
about them.  They helped forge this Nation.  They are a part of History! They are SPECIAL to this land.
            That's why I love them so much!  I spent most of the adult years I lived in England, wishing I was here. Well now I am here, and a U.S.Citizen to boot!  I have always been fascinated with firearms, even as a child in London during WW II. Even my Father who had lost his left leg due to being wounded severely in WW I, wished he still had the .45 Webly & Scott revolver that he had handed into the Police in 1937, when I was one year old.  There were rumors in 1940, that the Germans were planning to invade us!  They WERE planning on it, but our RAF kept the Luftwaffe from taking over the skies, and then the weather turned bad, so it was no longer practical for then to cross the Channel, which has some very bad seas in rough weather.  As a young boy, I never played Cops & Robbers with my little pals, It was always British  versus Germans!  I was nine when the war ended, and with so many men coming home who had been shooting at other men for six years, as my Dad predicted, we had us a Crime Wave!  so for almost eighteen months, there was a lot of reports in the papers, and on the radio, about armed robberies and Bank holdups!  Some of the boys at school would sometimes bring to school in great secrecy, an Auto or revolver that one of their relatives had brought home, "From the War!"  We had to make sure no teacher saw any of them, or they would have been confiscated, turned over to the police, and then the man who had brought it into the country, would have gone to jail! 
            I never had a real gun, until I got my first 12 gauge when I was about 23.  I had a pal who owned a shotgun, and a motor cycle, and he would drive us out into the country, where we would ask Farmers for permission to shoot Wood Pigeons on their land. These greedy birds are a real pest in England, and most farmers were very glad to have us reduce their numbers!  They were good eating too.  One day we shot over forty of them, and must have looked a sight, as Terry and I on the Motor cycle, drove along, festooned with birds. It got too much for Terry, so we stopped in a village, and saw a Parson walking near the church.  So we asked him if any of his parishoner's might be grateful for some fresh meat. and indicated the dozens of birds hanging all over us both.  His face lit up, and he said follow me. We went into the Vicarage, where his wife took all but about six of the birds, and arrayed them on a large table.  She told us that she and the other ladies in the church would distribute the birds to old age pensioners in need, and thanked us. She said if we shot more birds than we ourselves could use, she and her husband would be only too glad to find hungry mouths for them!  So that is what we used to do!  We never had quite that many again, but we quite often got between 20 & 30 birds.
                                                                                                        Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 11:59:42 PM »
... I thought I had made it perfectly clear that I do carry a 5.5" Remington CONCEALED! Completely concealed!  No-one except certain police officers I know, are aware I am carrying!...

I am not trying to be argumentative here, Johnnie.  I am just interested in how you carry a 5.5" .44 C&B completely concealed while you are lounging in your swim trunks at a public pool.  The best I have been able to do is a .32acp, and that only because it is stainless steel so I don't care when it gets soaking wet.

Offline ofitg

• Forum Legend
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 01:04:52 AM »
We presume that you are not a woman...

(^h

Offline ofitg

• Forum Legend
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 01:15:49 AM »
Why would somebody carry a handgun on strolls around their own property, when they acknowledge that a rifle would be superior? Convenience?

Would would somebody carry a concealed percussion revolver around Phoenix, when they could carry a modern weapon instead? "Whimsy" would be my guess.

Why would the Mossad equip their agents with .22 handguns? I've read that the "sound signature" comes into play..... I've also read that the Mossad agents have done very well with the .22 handguns.

We all make decisions, we all make compromises.... even the old ladies in New Yorkistan. We decide what's best for us as individuals, and we bear the consequences.

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 02:14:20 AM »
Props for the neck holster.
Points given to the pro side.
Points given to the con side.

And, the more I learn about Johnnie, the more I love him...
Having said that, expecting to open up an open mind to other than his opinion, is futile. If there is any doubt of that, do a search for his posts.

He is literally, the character that Eastwood played through the first half of Gran Torino. Set in his ways, and for a valid reason.

Johnnie, I don't believe, will ever have the chance to get to see the other side of things opposite of his grounded and factually based for the more part opinions, like the rest of us do.

Having said that, even though I could buy my boy a (he's 8) a 36 cal '58 for the cost of one of those 22's, I am still buying him one of those .22's. And maybe me as well.

It'll make a great boot or neck gun.
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 06:01:14 AM »
====== Caution, detailed explaination why a neck holster is A Very Good Thing =====

Richard, you have made yourself clear that you feel more comfortable with a knife than a .22, willing to let the BG come within knife range with (a) his knife or (b) fire *his* gun at you while still outside of your knife range.  You seem pre-supposed that you will never be some place where it is not possible to wear your preferred man-stoppers.

Apparently, you and Johnnie do not go places where you can only wear, for instance, swim trunks and a thin T-shirt.  We presume that you are not a woman who would be expected to wear only a bathing suit, or a ballroom gown, so it is safe to state that you are not faced with making the decision between diminutive firearm, knife, or nothing.

Hi Classanr, I did say the mouse guns were cute, is anything more required to justify owning one? IMO the arguments are becoming defensive, seems we already have people with an economic investment in the discussion (where you stand depends on where you sit)?

If a person feels better having a pen gun in their pocket for protection, the more power to them. I always feel more confident when I'm carrying. All decisions come with unintended consequences. Different situations require different decisions. I just hope any carrying a .22 for self protection make the right flight/flee decision when confronted.

Enjoy your toy.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 09:11:06 AM »
I can see carrying a mouse gun as a back up if the inevitable should happen.
And I can see Johnnies side too.
But a knife?  Unless you are skilled in hand to hand and fighting with that knife, the odds just aren't in your favor.
But if that is all you have, well then by all means use it. I definitely would. And in the Corps we were taught the basics.
Many furthered their education in hand to hand. I did. It was a great hobby and hand a practical side too.
But each encounter is different. And no you can't always be properly prepared for the unexpected.
Trying you convince someone to carry concealed while in a bathing suit is pretty much ridiculous.
A speedo or bikini is so snug fitting the outline of anything inside will be obvious.
On the beach It would have to be left in my bag. But then I would be concerned leaving it alone while I swam.
So most likely it would be left in the car.
I personally daily or almost daily carry my 5.5 Remington in the high ride I made (need to get butt in gear and make more).
I can wear a unbuttoned loose flannel shirt, and you likely would not know I am carrying, much less if I was wearing an actual jacket or coat.
I wouldn't be wearing a neck gun, with it tucked under my T-shirt just no way to access it in a hurry
As to walking my property. I'm just too lazy to do that. My land is only 5 acres, its open prairie. I can see all of it from inside the house. Yeah I got to move from room to room. At night I got a decent pair of night vision 'noculars See you 150 ft or so out.
So if you really are a BG......
The military adopted the 45acp in 1911 because it was semi auto, higher rate of fire, reasonably accurate out to 50 yd (pushing it) and it was a man stopper. It had a heavy slug moving relatively slowly at around 900 ft per sec.
If it struck anywhere in the main body mass, very seldom would it pass on through, it had a soft nose. It would drastically expand (mushroom) and give up it's kinetic energy on impact and while still in the body.  The newer 9mm / .380s not so much.
Our .44's are more like the original .45acp 1911's in this regard.
Modern revolvers and semis are somewhat quieter because the "explosion" is more confined in the cartridge and in the closed chamber of the auto.  Ours are not.
Hollywood has everybody thinking that you can get hit numerous times and just keep on coming. Not in real life.
Anybody that has been in a firefight on a battle field know this. Yeah a few might get back up and carry on, because of the adrenalin rush they have, but most, will stop and think twice.
You have the physical shock of the impact to the body.
You have the emotional shock, "oh F I'm hit,
the visible shock of YOUR blood leaking all over.
On the streets it would have to be a really big and tough BG with serious intent of getting to you no matter what, not to be stopped even by the lowly .22. No it may not kill him. But you still will feel all the shock above.
A rather loud bang when he prefers quiet and not draw attention to the situation.
The nervous system shock of being hit. Plus that slug is HOT it is going to burn for quite a few minutes, adding to more pain.
Plus the blood.
And now he knows you are armed and not such an easy target.
Now triple this effect with a 44 that has approx 250 ft # of knock down force a bigger bang, a bright flame flash a strong pungent odor.
Now you got a psychological advantage along with physical.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Erich

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 10:00:59 AM »
In the first place, everyone should do what's best for him - but it's worth remembering that just because it's a gun doesn't make it a death ray. If a person is considering a NAA 1" for constant carry, it's worth spending time at the range doing timed accuracy work, and chronography. I found the latter especially eye-opening (having seen many inadequate penetration cases involving .22s, I note a tiny, light pill at profoundly low speeds isn't especially reassuring to me - particularly if I can't honestly place it with precision), but my fumbling with the itsy-bitsy gripframe (and this is after carrying and shooting them for almost a decade) made them so slow to shoot that I sold my pair and looked elsewhere, as I feel there are notably better options available for the same money.

Everyone should do what he likes, but tech now provides flat, light, locked-breech, 7-round .380s that can be carried concealed (with an attached clip) in Speedo swimsuits. (I've carried mine on the beach in nothing but swimming trunks - not Speedos, however. =K* ) These can be rapid-fired with all the accuracy of a J-frame (better than a J-frame, in my experience) and mine functions fine with the overpressure "+P" rounds by Buffalo Bore (which give me just shy of 1100 fps from the thing).

Anyway, as I said a couple days ago, I like the idea of using the brush to hold the gun and the direction where this particular holster points makes me anxious. I'm grateful for the thread, as I really like the idea of using a bore brush to hold a light gun. Someone decided to chastise for voicing my discomfort with this device, but the point is that we all get to have our opinions based on our own personal considerations. As I keep saying, everyone should do what he likes.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 11:43:39 AM »
We presume that you are not a woman...

(^h

I never met Richard.  Nowadays, we could be corresponding with a very clever computer program, or a woman who presents herself as a man (keeps the riff-raff from hitting on her).  Just hedging my bets, donchaknow?

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 12:46:28 PM »
Hi Classanr, when Johnnie and I are packing when wearing our speedos at poolside and women ask what's that, we can tell them we are just very happy to see them. When you are packing your .22 mouse, you can still tell them you are happy to see them, but just a little?   )L$ (?^ ->i

Regards,
Richard, the computer app
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 01:59:29 PM »
OK, Richard The Computer App, I admit, that was funny.  The retort, of course, belongs to SuzukiBruce who points out it is not how big it is, but what you can do with it.

IPsoft, a software company (http://ipsoft.com/) has developed a virtual service-desk assistant called Eliza.  Yes, the first Eliza was written 1964-66, but she has become a meme and replicates herself.  A few of her offspring are PARRY, RACTER, DUDE, ALICE, JABBERWACKY, and KYLE (although Kyle talks like a petulant two year old when you try any reasonable subject matter).   All of Eliza's offspring are classified in the "chatterbot" family.  IPsoft's Eliza responds to emails and answers customer phone calls.  I'm not making that up.  The software has been able to solve two thirds of customer inquiries without human help. ING Group, for instance, currently uses Eliza to resolve service desk issues.

Now, if we can be sure she shoots at metal targets out her back door in NY, then we've got a lock on her whereabouts.

Finally, we could say "Yes, we have an app for that.  We call it RICHARD!"

Offline YosemiteSam

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 09:44:47 AM »
Ok first off I think classanr actually lives in the real world.
Gunslinger? Are you dense?  Every post from you talks about how you're little and hide a big gun.  My remmy now has a 3" barrel and it's still Too big.

I put myself in situations where having a pistol will save my life.   Its not the size of the gun, we're not talking about penis size.  My .22 between the eyes will make you just as dead.   Anyone who thinks this is inadequate probably can't fight for a damn.  I carry knives, but do you know how many times I've seen someone pull a knife just to get stomped or shot?  A knife is for cutting boxes.  I'm even trained in knife close quarters combat....  Still gonna shoot ya
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 10:27:30 AM by YosemiteSam »