Author Topic: My new neck holster DIY  (Read 4210 times)

Offline YosemiteSam

My new neck holster DIY
« on: March 23, 2014, 08:31:42 PM »
So the key to making this work is  .22 cleaning brush, it holds the barrel nice and snug, then I screed a wire nut onto it to give it some grip. A simple paracord and some knots and it's the perfect under shirt holster

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
Re: My new neck holster DIY
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 12:20:53 AM »
Dear Friends,
            I wold again advise anyone who, is thinking, even for a moment, of carrying one of these Mouse Guns for self protection, to immediatly
FORGET THE IDEA!  Bear in mind what the very highly respected, Former Marine Colonel, Jeff Cooper, said to a lady Federal Agent, who asked about possibly carrying a .25 auto in her purse.  Mr. Cooper replied, "Carry it by all mans, if it makes you feel any better. But what ever you do, don't shoot at anyone with it.  Because you might hit them, and this might make them very angry, and they might then do you serious harm!"
            In other words, guns of this sub caliber are next to useless when it comes to putting down an attacker!  All you will do is royally piss him off, and he might then kick seven kinds of crap out of you!  Wounding a 21st. century street thug will not impress him. Most have been wounded before, and wounds won't impress them worth a darn!
            If an aged Geriatric, and small guy like Yours Truly, can successfully hide a 5.5" Remington, under a lightweight safari vest, then for those guys bigger than myself, (Which means most men!) should have no difficulty at all, and if you use the load I do, you'll only need to hit an antagonist once, (If you hit him in the right spot.) and the fight will be over!  The men who trained me said to shoot twice, and one of them said that if you are sure the guy is alone, empty the gun into him to be on the safe side!  With a Mouse Gun, you could empty the ting, reload, and do it again, and still have him put flowers in your hair!  These NMA's are just a gimmick, and have no real value as a weapon at all.  If you threaten someone with one, they will more than likely think it is a toy, and laugh at you.(Before they make you eat it!)  Even if you miss the vital spot with a Remington .44, they will be distracted to the extreme until, they manage to put out the fire in their clothing!
            Another thing I cannot understand, is why anyone would buy one of these things, when just recently, one could buy a Remington from Cabela's for $199.oo (Plus tax!)  The mind boggles!!!  They are so small, that a man with a normal sized hand would have difficulty in holding the tiny thing firmly, and it could cause an accident!  Give me an almost 3 lb. hunk of blued steel every time!  It WILL get the job done!
                                                                                                        Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 06:57:44 AM »
Very nice! I like it.  {?|
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 10:35:40 AM »
nice idea, but don't carry it cocked. Don't try cocking it as you draw it down.
I'm sure you can see why that might be a bad idea! (^h
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 10:42:23 AM »
Johnnie,

For those of us who do not live in your Pistolero's Paradise, and who must carry concealed (meaning underneath the clothing), our options are as follows: very small guns, or knives, or nothing.  Hanging a 44 Rem from the neck is like wearing a dead albatross.

There are times, places, and temperatures where a greatcoat, an overcoat, a jacket, a poncho, or a serape just cannot be worn.  For instance, you do not have the luxury of going to a California or Massachusetts beach, so you do not have a need to consider how to conceal a weapon under skimpy clothing.  Some of us go dancing.  To sum up, twin 44Rems on the hip are not acceptable attire at a beach, stadium, public transportation, or formal ball.  Probably not even in AZ.

For those reasons, a less-than-optimal firearm is worn as the alternative to nothing.  Jeff also advised to "carry the biggest gun you can."  "Can" being the operative word in society, not "biggest".  Otherwise, we'd show up with a 12gauge and multiple Knoxx/Blackhawk 10-round drums, not a puny 6-shot .44! )L$

Classanr
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Erich

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 11:11:27 AM »
I think the idea of using a cleaning brush to hold the gun is really neat. I just really dislike where that'd be pointing . . .  M__

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 11:17:50 AM »
Given that the hammer/transfer button are resting on an empty chamber, it is just a hunka stainless, wood, lead, copper, 'n powder, probably less dangerous than wearing a pointy military medal or an autopen in one's pocket over the heart.  If ultimate safety under any circumstances is required, they make safes for that.  Put that on a Red Flyer wagon and pull it behind. M__

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 11:38:21 AM »
Johnnie,

For those of us who do not live in your Pistolero's Paradise, and who must carry concealed (meaning underneath the clothing), our options are as follows: very small guns, or knives, or nothing.  Hanging a 44 Rem from the neck is like wearing a dead albatross.

There are times, places, and temperatures where a greatcoat, an overcoat, a jacket, a poncho, or a serape just cannot be worn.  For instance, you do not have the luxury of going to a California or Massachusetts beach, so you do not have a need to consider how to conceal a weapon under skimpy clothing.  Some of us go dancing.  To sum up, twin 44Rems on the hip are not acceptable attire at a beach, stadium, public transportation, or formal ball.  Probably not even in AZ.

For those reasons, a less-than-optimal firearm is worn as the alternative to nothing.  Jeff also advised to "carry the biggest gun you can."  "Can" being the operative word in society, not "biggest".  Otherwise, we'd show up with a 12gauge and multiple Knoxx/Blackhawk 10-round drums, not a puny 6-shot .44! )L$

Classanr

Hi Classanr, I agree with Johnnie, you need enough gun to stop the attack (threat). A.22 may eventually kill the bad guy, but the largest caliber you can easily carry is far superior. My choice for when walking my property where concealment isn't much of an issue is this .45 ACP:

If I intend on going into a questionable area of local cities, one of these .45 ACP that are more concealable is carried in a Crossbreed holster:

For general carry, the convenience of my 10.5oz P+ 38 Special in a front pocket is ideal. It's still a compromise, but it's better than nothing:

However, I agree with Johnnie that nothing is better than a short barreled .22LR. I would much prefer my SOG Aegis knife than any .22.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 01:21:01 PM »
Dear Friends,
            I wold again advise anyone who, is thinking, even for a moment, of carrying one of these Mouse Guns for self protection, to immediatly
FORGET THE IDEA!  Bear in mind what the very highly respected, Former Marine Colonel, Jeff Cooper, said to a lady Federal Agent, who asked about possibly carrying a .25 auto in her purse.  Mr. Cooper replied, "Carry it by all mans, if it makes you feel any better. But what ever you do, don't shoot at anyone with it.  Because you might hit them, and this might make them very angry, and they might then do you serious harm!"
            In other words, guns of this sub caliber are next to useless when it comes to putting down an attacker!  All you will do is royally piss him off, and he might then kick seven kinds of crap out of you!  Wounding a 21st. century street thug will not impress him. Most have been wounded before, and wounds won't impress them worth a darn!
            If an aged Geriatric, and small guy like Yours Truly, can successfully hide a 5.5" Remington, under a lightweight safari vest, then for those guys bigger than myself, (Which means most men!) should have no difficulty at all, and if you use the load I do, you'll only need to hit an antagonist once, (If you hit him in the right spot.) and the fight will be over!  The men who trained me said to shoot twice, and one of them said that if you are sure the guy is alone, empty the gun into him to be on the safe side!  With a Mouse Gun, you could empty the ting, reload, and do it again, and still have him put flowers in your hair!  These NMA's are just a gimmick, and have no real value as a weapon at all.  If you threaten someone with one, they will more than likely think it is a toy, and laugh at you.(Before they make you eat it!)  Even if you miss the vital spot with a Remington .44, they will be distracted to the extreme until, they manage to put out the fire in their clothing!
            Another thing I cannot understand, is why anyone would buy one of these things, when just recently, one could buy a Remington from Cabela's for $199.oo (Plus tax!)  The mind boggles!!!  They are so small, that a man with a normal sized hand would have difficulty in holding the tiny thing firmly, and it could cause an accident!  Give me an almost 3 lb. hunk of blued steel every time!  It WILL get the job done!
                                                                                                        Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.

so, johnnie, would you be ok with volunteering your time and body for some mouse gun ballistics tests? i mean seriously if you think a .22mag would just "make them very angry, and they might then do you serious harm!" then you should have no fear of being shot with one, right?

i dont care how bad someone thinks they are, when i cram that little .22mag up their nose and pull the trigger, they will no longer be a threat to me.
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 01:39:32 PM »

so, johnnie, would you be ok with volunteering your time and body for some mouse gun ballistics tests? i mean seriously if you think a .22mag would just "make them very angry, and they might then do you serious harm!" then you should have no fear of being shot with one, right?

i dont care how bad someone thinks they are, when i cram that little .22mag up their nose and pull the trigger, they will no longer be a threat to me.

Hi Bruce, so you think you can get to the nose or ear of a bad guy with a tire iron and shoot him? Good luck. A knife would be a much more effective weapon.

The rule is either drop him while he is 21ft from you or expect to be struck. This self defense stuff with a handgun wasn't invented last week.

Now don't get me wrong, the mouse guns are cute, I have a couple of the 1849 Pocket Colts. The mouse guns are better for attack where the subject isn't aware what's coming. That's why the Mossad use .22 for assassination, the subject doesn't expect what's happening and the .22 is fairly quiet. Ronald Reagan didn't even realize that he was shot by a .22 and almost died.

Defensive weapons are used to stop a threat, not necessarily kill. The short barreled .22 is not a defensive weapon.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 02:25:38 PM »

Hi Bruce, so you think you can get to the nose or ear of a bad guy with a tire iron and shoot him? Good luck. A knife would be a much more effective weapon.

The rule is either drop him while he is 21ft from you or expect to be struck. This self defense stuff with a handgun wasn't invented last week.

Now don't get me wrong, the mouse guns are cute, I have a couple of the 1849 Pocket Colts. The mouse guns are better for attack where the subject isn't aware what's coming. That's why the Mossad use .22 for assassination, the subject doesn't expect what's happening and the .22 is fairly quiet. Ronald Reagan didn't even realize that he was shot by a .22 and almost died.

Defensive weapons are used to stop a threat, not necessarily kill. The short barreled .22 is not a defensive weapon.

Regards,
Richard

ok then, are you volunteering for center mass shots from 21ft?

Hornady's 45 gr Critical Defense claims 1,000 fps from a 1 7/8" barrel (NAA MINI MAG) and 100 fpe.

http://www.hornady.com/store/22-WMR-...itical-Defense

Speer's 40 gr Gold Dot Short Barrel Personal Protection claims 1,150 fps from a 2" barrel (NAA BLACK WIDOW) and 99 fpe.

http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/short_brl.aspx

http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/954.htm

yeah maybe not the best round available, but in areas where open carry is not legal and deep deep concealed is recommended, this is better than a sharp stick.

furthermore real world experience has taught that roughly 95% of all criminals will run when their "victim" displays a firearm, 4.9% will run only after being shot and .1% need to be shot repeatedly to stop them, so that being said, these little guns will stop 99.9% of all criminals attacking civilians, i dont need to carry dirty harry's .44mag just for the .1% that i will likely never meet, i live in the real world.
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 02:30:03 PM »
Hi, I want to clarify a few things about a defensive small caliber handgun. In the 1800's any small caliber handgun was a formidable defensive weapon. The first fixed ammunition handguns were .22s. People knew that anyone shot in the gut with any caliber weapon was eventually dead from peritonitis, thus the threat of the lowly .22. No one wanted to be gutshot, the defensive value.

Today, it's different. Medical procedures and drugs minimize death from such an event.

Johnnie gives good advice. Worst case is that you contribute to Darwin's natural selection.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 02:41:13 PM »
Hi Bruce, slow down. No handgun is a good defensive weapon. Actually, the .44 Mag is not that good since most of the useful energy is lost by overpenetration. If you want to stop a person fast, use a rifle. Stopping by a handgun is from blood loss. The bigger the hole, the more blood loss, more quickly. That's why a knife isn't such a bad defensive weapon, you can sever wrists and necks pretty quickly. A quick underarm cut will sever arteries and if it doesn't drop the attacker the amount of blood loss will scare the shit out of him.

Refuse to be a victim, but not with a .22.

Regards,
Richard

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 03:27:55 PM »
so if getting close enough to BG to go at him with a knife is an option, why isnt getting that close with a gun an option? point blank shot from a .22 with the muzzle blast entering the body cavity would be devastating.

all i am say really is this, mr. BG pulls a weapon on me and i'm stuck in a situation where my option is carry .22mag naa or nothing, im jamming the .22 in his face and pulling the trigger. if it doesnt work out for me so well, so be it, i may die, he will definitely need to explain the body and his own gunshot wound to the police and if he ever gets out of jail, he will think twice before robbing YOU! Thats the problem today, NO ONE, puts up resistance to these thugs so they are emboldened, a few more people shoot a few more robbers and rapists, the country would be much safer and quieter...

DON'T GO AROUND TELLING PEOPLE ITS BETTER TO DIE AN UNARMED VICTIM WITHOUT PUTTING UP A FIGHT THAN IT IS TO GET KILLED DEFENDING YOURSELF WITH A "MOUSE GUN", THIS IS AMERICA DAMMIT, IF THAT WAS THE MENTALITY 240 YEARS AGO, WE'D ALL BE SPEAKING FRIGGIN BRITISH AND DRINKING OVER TAXED TEA (<<<<<my GF posted that)
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 08:52:51 PM »
====== Caution, detailed explaination why a neck holster is A Very Good Thing =====

Richard, you have made yourself clear that you feel more comfortable with a knife than a .22, willing to let the BG come within knife range with (a) his knife or (b) fire *his* gun at you while still outside of your knife range.  You seem pre-supposed that you will never be some place where it is not possible to wear your preferred man-stoppers.

Apparently, you and Johnnie do not go places where you can only wear, for instance, swim trunks and a thin T-shirt.  We presume that you are not a woman who would be expected to wear only a bathing suit, or a ballroom gown, so it is safe to state that you are not faced with making the decision between diminutive firearm, knife, or nothing.

But were you to make such a choice, you state that you would arm yourself with a knife, not a diminutive firearm.  I am flabbergasted that you are willing to allow the BG the priviledge of closing that 21ft gap without any fear or dissuasion whatsoever.  Johnnie simply would not be without his 44's, and I heartily respect that.  He asked a valid question:  [paraphrasing] "Why would anybody arm themselves with these itty bitty guns?"

"I have a gun and I will shoot" is a very strong negotiating position.
"I have a knife and I will stab" is merely a taunt to the BG's manhood.
It is unlikely that one's 4" blade will get in many licks before his machette takes off your arms.  It is a new generation of BGs out there.  They prefer the machette, still concealed but reaches beyond any opponent's knife.

Johnnie has, but possibly you have never been in a fight for your life on the streets, and are not aware that unless one can dissuade the BG from initiating any action whatsoever, one should *count* on being badly injured once that 21ft ine is crossed.  The best one can hope for is "...yeah, but you should see the other guy."  Johnnie has a great story to tell in that regard.

The single advantage of *any* gun is that one can start shooting before the BG starts stabbing (if indeed the BG decides that crossing your 21ft line is to his advantage).

Further, consider the probable need to maintain a 21ft *circle* around you, to include dissuading the BG's buddies.  Can you do that with a knife of any size?

So, we are back to the premise of a diminutive gun ...when the options *are* a knife or nothing, there are those of us willing to bring any gun to the fight, rather than leave all iron at home.

There are those of us who carry a horse, a pony backup, and a diminutive in the boot or at the breast.  In a protracted struggle, the horse could be lost, the pony run dry, and suddenly the diminutive becomes a welcome replacement.  Not the preferred, but there nevertheless.

Who ever said none of us carry the big iron?  We get teased for carrying a mouse gun as if that is all we'd ever carry.  Not true.  We just go the extra step and *always stay armed*.  Even at the pool, and even in the house.  I am packing while writing this.  Why wouldn't I be?  Can you spell home invasion?  Should I defend my home, my wife, and my life with only my knife?  On the other hand, should I wear my S&WM&P45 to the dinner table with guests?  Could there just possibly be  niche gun that would serve my household need to fight my way to my rifle?

As a group, we mousers also carry knives.  Plural.  The bulk of us stay in condition yellow, only going white when we fall asleep, make love, pray, or test the eggs in the carton in the store.  We are also teased as being paranoid because we always wear at least one gun.  We ask in return, when is one gun too much?

What do *you* do when you step into your house?  The ballroom?  The doctor's office?  Church?  Please don't tell me you voluntarily disarm yourself... why would anybody voluntarily do what the left wants to force us to do?  And then complain about the left? ???

A neck holster and a diminutive gun will CYA when the big iron simply cannot be worn (or even kept nearby).  Keep a knife handy for when the diminutive runs out of shots.  Or you need to clean your fingernails.