Photobucket

Author Topic: Which caps work best?  (Read 3335 times)

Offline Pat/Rick

Re: Which caps work best?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 10:17:04 PM »
I use CCI  #11 magnum caps on my Lyman Trade rifle, and all four of my Pietta Bros. revolvers with great success. It is seldom that I have a misfire, or have to double strike them. I use the nipple's that pietta sends with the guns.  I use a brass straight line capper, as I cap I pull out and down, that set's them just fine. Once in awhile I will pull a cap so it sits crooked, but just push it on with my thumb and shoot away.
Nothing expresses Liberty more, than the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.

Offline edcknives

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 04:18:40 PM »
Try using the RWS 1075's. They are high end reliable and in-between the 2 in size. It's what a lot of the competition shooters use from what I understand.
Live and let live, hopefully. Just don't push it.

Offline YosemiteSam

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 12:10:16 AM »
Ok so in my NAA revolver it is confirmed that Remington caps work 100% better than cci caps. I'm glad I bought 1000

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 08:55:48 PM »
Ok so in my NAA revolver it is confirmed that Remington caps work 100% better than cci caps. I'm glad I bought 1000

I am going to try Winchester #11 mags in the NAA Earl.  They fit nicely.  I fell into a bunch at a NH Walmart when nothing else was around.  I'll report (pun intended) on performance (or lack thereof).
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline edcknives

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 09:51:15 AM »

I am going to try Winchester #11 mags in the NAA Earl.  They fit nicely.  I fell into a bunch at a NH Walmart when nothing else was around.  I'll report (pun intended) on performance (or lack thereof).

I have an Earl on order from NAA as of yesterday. Also the 22mag C&P with kit. Sounds like I will see the 22mag with kit within the next couple of weeks. The Earl I placed on order is the 5th one currently waiting to be made. Hopefully more people will order as that is what I was told motivates them to do a batch. Looking forward to hearing about your experience with it.

Offline YosemiteSam

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 10:38:06 AM »

I have an Earl on order from NAA as of yesterday. Also the 22mag C&P with kit. Sounds like I will see the 22mag with kit within the next couple of weeks. The Earl I placed on order is the 5th one currently waiting to be made. Hopefully more people will order as that is what I was told motivates them to do a batch. Looking forward to hearing about your experience with it.
Remington #11 are the perfect caps.  I get a bang every time.  I had one instance where the cap popped but I didn't get ignition, further investigation determined that smokeless was clogging the nipple.  Cleared the nipple, new cap and bang.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 10:13:47 PM »
Try using the RWS 1075's. They are high end reliable and in-between the 2 in size. It's what a lot of the competition shooters use from what I understand.
I also had very good luck with the RWS 1075's.....when I could get them.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline edcknives

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 07:17:16 AM »
I also had very good luck with the RWS 1075's.....when I could get them.

Last time I bought them was from Taylor's. That was early last year. They weren't cheap as I remember. With shipping, hazmat and price came out to in-the-neighborhood of of 80.00 to 90.00 per 1000. Premium price but they are a premium primer. I bought 3,000 at the time. Along with my other #11's, CCI, CCI mag, Remington's, I have over 6,500. Currently have 1600 Remington #10's. I will buy more #10's as I see them when affordable but obviously don't "need" them. I am set for many years right now.

I find it perplexing how hard they are to find. It must not pay that much to produce them as ammo. The supply and demand also shows how people are wising up to being able to have something over nothing when it comes to firepower, since BP/muzzle loader is not regulated in the significant majority of states, at least for now.