Author Topic: Which caps work best?  (Read 3926 times)

Offline YosemiteSam

Which caps work best?
« on: March 13, 2014, 04:16:56 PM »
So currently I have cci #11 magnums and cci #10 regulars.
On my pietta .44 1858 remmy the #11 are loose on the nipples, unless I pinch them they fall off.  So I purchased #10 and problem solved.... Sort of

I got the NAA companion and the #10 require the loading press to install (not with powder, I recently lost the tip of my right thumb in a percussion cap incident) so with an unloaded cylinder I pressed ONE #10 cap on to see... It was wayy too tight, but went bang on the first go...
The #11s however fit "seemingly" just fine, loose fit, but they clear the frame of the revolver fine.

My problem exists when I go to fire the #11... I've had a 80% click no boom rate...

On the FIRST pull,  the second time around it goes bang every time...
The idea in my head is that either the #11 needs that much more pressure, or I'm not fully seated on the nipple... Or the recoil is backing to caps off ever so slightly... Because seems to bang on th first one but not always. 
The other promblem ISP #11s explode more and leave a little fin hanging out of the slot, which coincidentally is where the bolt locks into ...

Are Remington #11 the answer to my prayers? I'd hate to need it in a defensive situation and only get a click....

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel
Re: Which caps work best?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 04:35:22 PM »
I have tried Remington #10 and had non firing problems, so I use #11's on all my Remingtons, I pinch them and they hold and go bang just fine.  :9)
{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 3:16

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 04:54:20 PM »
There are a lot of things that can be causing the issue, you need to do very close observation and make it repeatable.
However, you can replace the stock nipples on the Pietta with ones that take a #11 cap.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline rodwha

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:16:04 PM »
I can't say with your weapons, but I've seen something similar with my ROA.

I was given an old tin of Rem #11's that needed to be pinched.

I bought CCI #11 mags and it often took two tries to ignite the caps.

I bought nipples for my pistol from ToTW as it stated they were designed for CCI #11's, but found the exact same problem and found out they meant the standard #11's and not the magnums.

I have found that Rem #10's work great.

You want to see if you can find standard CCI #11's.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline YosemiteSam

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 08:26:36 AM »
I can't say with your weapons, but I've seen something similar with my ROA.

I was given an old tin of Rem #11's that needed to be pinched.

I bought CCI #11 mags and it often took two tries to ignite the caps.

I bought nipples for my pistol from ToTW as it stated they were designed for CCI #11's, but found the exact same problem and found out they meant the standard #11's and not the magnums.

I have found that Rem #10's work great.

You want to see if you can find standard CCI #11's.
The cci #11 go off flawlessly in the pietta... It's the NAA mini that they half times bang.... I tried pinching them this last time, but haven't fired it...  Load and cap and slip in my pocket... I'll try shooting it this evening

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 09:39:51 AM »
If I remember correctly  CCI #11 magums are really meant for rifles not revolvers.
Why the nipples would be differently sizes, couldn't tell you.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 05:33:27 PM by DD4lifeusmc »
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Online ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 01:45:11 PM »
Hi, Uberti specifies a #11 cap for their 1849 Pocket replicas. When I first got my Uberti 1849 Pockets, I tried to use CCI #10 caps and found that I couldn't get them on the nipples far enough and the caps would bind and lock up the cylinder to the frame. While I have thousands of both CCI and Remington #10 caps, I only had a few hundred CCI #11 caps. The #11 CCI caps worked well on the 1849 Pocket. I have been searching the usual firearms equipment supply houses for weeks looking to buy more #11 caps with no success.

I did some internet searching and found this chart, see:
http://s122.photobucket.com/user/mykealsm/media/Guns/CapSizes.jpg.html

That chart shows that the Remington #10 cap diameter is larger than the #10 CCI caps. Just for grins, I tried putting the #10 Remington caps on one of my 1849 Pockets. I was amazed, they fit perfectly!

Bottom line is that the Uberti 1849 Pocket revolvers will work with the #10 Remington cap. All cap sizes from different manufacturers are not the same.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline YosemiteSam

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 02:36:22 PM »
Hi, Uberti specifies a #11 cap for their 1849 Pocket replicas. When I first got my Uberti 1849 Pockets, I tried to use CCI #10 caps and found that I couldn't get them on the nipples far enough and the caps would bind and lock up the cylinder to the frame. While I have thousands of both CCI and Remington #10 caps, I only had a few hundred CCI #11 caps. The #11 CCI caps worked well on the 1849 Pocket. I have been searching the usual firearms equipment supply houses for weeks looking to buy more #11 caps with no success.

That chart shows that the Remington #10 cap diameter is larger than the #10 CCI caps. Just for grins, I tried putting the #10 Remington caps on one of my 1849 Pockets. I was amazed, they fit perfectly!

Bottom line is that the Uberti 1849 Pocket revolvers will work with the #10 Remington cap. All cap sizes from different manufacturers are not the same.

Regards,
Richard

I guess I was mostly questioning if the #11 magnum cci was too "tough", not to mention the explosion would fragment the cap just enough to stick out.
I recently purchased 1000 Remington #11 caps (cabelas)so hopefully this remedies the problem.  No one around here has anything but CCI
I'll report back when they arrive and I can shoot.

On a side note, traded my wife my BMW for her Subaru so I might be able to hit up my shooting spot more

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 10:56:56 PM »

Regards,
Richard

I guess I was mostly questioning if the #11 magnum cci was too "tough", not to mention the explosion would fragment the cap just enough to stick out.
I recently purchased 1000 Remington #11 caps (cabelas)so hopefully this remedies the problem.  No one around here has anything but CCI

On a side note, traded my wife my BMW for her Subaru so I might be able to hit up my shooting spot more

The NAA C&B pistols are designed for use wit remington #11's ONLY!

i have tried using other caps before with more resulting FTF's than i can count. i have only ever had 1 hangfire with he remmy caps (and smokeless powder BTW) and zero FTF with them...
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 11:16:08 PM »
Remington #10's have always done the trick for me on everything except my Lymans (Plains pistol and Trade rifle) which are designed for #11's
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline YosemiteSam

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 06:50:53 AM »

Regards,
Richard

The NAA C&B pistols are designed for use wit remington #11's ONLY!

i have tried using other caps before with more resulting FTF's than i can count. i have only ever had 1 hangfire with he remmy caps (and smokeless powder BTW) and zero FTF with them...

Thank you Bruce!  I have 1000 rem #11 on their way

Offline BP Joe

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 07:00:32 PM »
Hello YosemiteSam,

As I was working on designing a capping device for my Pietta New Army 44, I noticed that the #10s (Remington brand) were rather loose on the stock nipples until I pinched them. Having read this remedy in a number of forum discussions it appears to work well because they do not fall off the nipple when I turn cylinder upside down. Many of the legends here on the forum know what they are talking about. I cannot offer much more recommendations than that being a newbie, so good luck on finding what works best with your Remington.

BP Joe  ])M

Offline YosemiteSam

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 08:38:29 AM »
Hello YosemiteSam,

As I was working on designing a capping device for my Pietta New Army 44, I noticed that the #10s (Remington brand) were rather loose on the stock nipples until I pinched them. Having read this remedy in a number of forum discussions it appears to work well because they do not fall off the nipple when I turn cylinder upside down. Many of the legends here on the forum know what they are talking about. I cannot offer much more recommendations than that being a newbie, so good luck on finding what works best with your Remington.

BP Joe  ])M

Lol the Remington would pop any cap, not a problem at all.  It's the north American arms mini cap and ball that has issues

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 03:22:57 PM »
Dear Friends,
            I use exclusively, Remington #10 caps. (Whenever I can get the darned things!!!) I had bad experiences with CCI caps. I too found it often took two strikes of the hammer to make those suckers go off!  I decided that the SKIRTS of the CCI caps were longer, and butted against the base of the nipple, until crushed down by the second hammer blow!  I DO find the Remington #10 caps are a little loose, so this is the way I fit them: I take them from their tin with a pair of curved Hemostats,(Thus avoiding any grease or moisture from my hands upon these sensitive articles.) I adjust the jaws of the Hemostats and gently squeeze then until the hole in the caps appears to go slightly oval. Then I place them on the nipples, but do not try and push them down too hard.  When all six nipples are capped, I take a piece of thin dowel rod, and  press them down fully onto the nipples, and like to hear that faint, "Scritch," as they go fully home!
            I can't praise Remington Caps highly enough. In the last 700 rounds (Approx!) that I have fired, i have not have so much as ONE miss fire!  ALL have functioned perfectly!  I carry one of my Triplets for self defense, so it is vitally important that I get a healthy BOOM every time I squeeze the trigger.  This last time I went shooting, I deliberately selected cylinders that had been loaded for nine months or more. Every single shot went off instantaneously!  Not one milliseconds hesitation!!  I now NEVER use wads, but load the balls directly on top of the powder charge.  ALL my cylinders are BOILED in water for at least three minutes, and then allowed to air dry before loading. They are so hot when removed from the pan, that ALL the water evaporates long before they are cool enough to touch with the naked hand. They are all then loaded with Powder and ball. I place my lubricant OVER the balls, and it is a 50/50 mixture of Beeswax and Olive Oil. This mixture is fairly stiff
but in Arizona where I live, the Summers are VERY hot, and I don't want melted lube running out of my holsters, and staining my clothing!
Those of you that reside in more temperate climates, may like to use a mixture that uses slightly more Olive Oil! My mixture is such that it becomes quite soft when pressed with the fingers, and can thus be pressed into the chambers over the balls with consumate ease! This lube DOES remain in the mouths of the other chambers, unlike Crisco or Bore Butter, when all the lube over the other five loaded chambers is blown away by the blast from the first shot!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     I do not mean to imply that other shooters should NEVER use wads.  However if you do sometimes carry for self protection, while hiking where it is possible one might meet a Cougar, or in Texas, a Wild Hog, then the ONLY wads you should ever carry in the gun should be the, "Ox Yoke, Wonder Wads!"  These to my knowledge, are the ONLY  wads that are impregnated with a DRY lubricant.  I used to use them in the 1980's and 1990's, and can verify that these wads NEVER caused any hang fires, or miss fires due to a contaminated powder charge!  They are the ONLY WADS I WOULD EVER USE!  The lubricated wads, the ones that feel greasy to the touch, and are usually a pale yellow shade, are UN-SUITABLE if you are going to leave the pistol charged for more that a couple of hours. I loaded a cylinder with these lubed patches in between the powder and the ball, and tried to shoot it off the next weekend.  I got six Wet Phart noises, and while all the balls DID exit the barrel, they went so slowly, I could see them in flight, and could have gotten more velocity with a sling shot and glass marbles!  These lubed wads should ONLY be used if you are the kind of shooter, who takes his empty gun and Ditty Bag to the range, loads the weapon there, shoots it when as the range officer says okay to shoot, and after shooting all you want that afternoon, you go home, clean the gun, and put it away until the next time.  These lubed wads WILL contaminate the powder charge if the gun is left loaded even for a short time!  So if you do sometimes take your Back Powder revolver with you, when you go out into the countryside, and feel it possible you might meet some
crittur, then do NOT use a Wet-Lubed Wad when you load the revolver!
            Some shooters put a thin card disc between the wad and the powder charge.  However cardboard is a substance that could possibly wick some of the moisture from the greasy wads, and in time, this COULD POSSIBLY contaminate the powder. I confess I have NOT tried to
load a cylinder in this way. However I do not feel like trusting the method. I load my .457 balls down onto the powder charge, with blows from a heavy rubber Mallet, using a .50 cal. Ball Starter to ram the balls home.  I ram 'em down pretty hard, and believe that this would be enough to squeeze the grease out of that wad, past the thin card, and that this might still contaminate the powder charge if left for some time.  I often do not fire some of my cylinders for six months or more. I do have thirteen of them after all!  I don't always remember to mark the boxes they are placed in, with the date I reloaded them.  This last Saturday, I fired off some cylinders that had been loaded since May of 2013.  All went off as if I had just loaded them that afternoon.  I was almost certain that they would go off flawlessly, and as it turned out I was correct.  Last Saturday afternoon proved to me that I must be doing something right! Which is always nice to know!
                                                                                                        Johnnie Roper;Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline YosemiteSam

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 10:05:28 AM »
I don't use lube in my chambers.... 
I always carry my c&b mini naa
I tried taking a .22 out of its shell, using the powder behind a 30 grain NAA conical... Kicks awesome