Photobucket

Author Topic: NAA small frame companion... Is it worth it?  (Read 3051 times)

Offline YosemiteSam

NAA small frame companion... Is it worth it?
« on: March 01, 2014, 12:30:56 PM »
I found one for sale... Should I go for it? Or are they no where near as cool as the rimfire version?  I had my heart set on the rimfire but then I read busy hands stuff and it has me reconsidering....
So what's the verdict on the small frame NAA companion(not the super or magnum)

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: NAA small frame companion... Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 12:40:24 PM »
If the price is right go for it they are a lot of fun,
US Navy Retired, NRA life member, VFW life member, American Legion, FRA, KofC
Time Magazine person of the year.....2006

Offline YosemiteSam

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 12:48:45 PM »
If the price is right go for it they are a lot of fun,
$300.... Seems kinda steep, but I can't find one anywhere.... This was the first I've found

Offline YosemiteSam

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 07:17:44 PM »
I bit the bullet! It's on it's way.. FedEx 5 day from fivesevenammo.com
Hey busyhands94 so what's the recommended load?

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 11:08:42 AM »
So you are getting a small frame revolver as opposed to the Magnum? You can search the NAA website and find the answer to your question. If you are getting the Magnum cylinder, then the recommended load is 4 grains 4fg black powder. Your owner's manual should give you all the particulars.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 01:46:28 PM »
If you are getting the Magnum cylinder, then the recommended load is 4 grains 4fg black powder. .

Weird. The original .22 LR black powder load was 4.5 grains of 4F with a 40 grain bullet. The .22 short was 4 grains with a 29 grain bullet
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 03:06:14 PM »
Ya think maybe there may be some lawyers involved here?! M__

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 09:07:36 PM »

Yes.  The cylinders were designed by Dick Casull to safely handle 1 grain Bullseye in the C&B 22 and 2 grains Bullseye in the C&B 22mag.  Then BATF stepped in and said to stop claiming that or they'd be reclassified as smokeless guns.

Both cylinders can *safely* be loaded to the "little ledge below the bullet" with 4Fg.  They can be *safely* loaded with 110% 777 4f (if you can find any) and compressed.  Like any BP revolver, you load to no air gap (whatever that is for the round you are shooting).  No reason you can't fill 'er up with TrailBoss either.  NAA mills these cylinders out of the same stainless they mill out their 22mag rimfire cylinders.  Go ahead, try to find any report (no pun intended) of any NAA cylinder blowing up (other than Wild Man Dick intentionally putting in C4 or whatever to test those babies).

Of course, the operator instructions now call for a reduced charge to satisfy the lawyers.  However, the guns themselves have not been reduced in quality.
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline YosemiteSam

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 09:09:36 AM »

Yes.  The cylinders were designed by Dick Casull to safely handle 1 grain Bullseye in the C&B 22 and 2 grains Bullseye in the C&B 22mag.  Then BATF stepped in and said to stop claiming that or they'd be reclassified as smokeless guns.

Both cylinders can *safely* be loaded to the "little ledge below the bullet" with 4Fg.  They can be *safely* loaded with 110% 777 4f (if you can find any) and compressed.  Like any BP revolver, you load to no air gap (whatever that is for the round you are shooting).  No reason you can't fill 'er up with TrailBoss either.  NAA mills these cylinders out of the same stainless they mill out their 22mag rimfire cylinders.  Go ahead, try to find any report (no pun intended) of any NAA cylinder blowing up (other than Wild Man Dick intentionally putting in C4 or whatever to test those babies).

Of course, the operator instructions now call for a reduced charge to satisfy the lawyers.  However, the guns themselves have not been reduced in quality.
Triple se7en doesn't make 4f only 3f.   Acually there are no substitutes for 4f....   I did buy some triple se7en fffg...  My buddy has some reloading gear so I'm gonna buy like 300grqins of bullseye off of him

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 04:10:51 PM »
My bad, 2F and 3F.  Around here the 3F is hard to find.  Only a single keystroke away, the same miniscule difference between "0" and "1" in the power department. M__

But more importantly, none of my measures are in units of "grgins". (^h
Is that something from the pickle industry? )L$

Offline YosemiteSam

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 07:59:28 PM »
My bad, 2F and 3F.  Around here the 3F is hard to find.  Only a single keystroke away, the same miniscule difference between "0" and "1" in the power department. M__

But more importantly, none of my measures are in units of "grgins". (^h
Is that something from the pickle industry? )L$
Yeah I bought the triple se7en... It's a riot!

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 08:21:33 PM »
Cute little bugger!

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 02:19:25 PM »
Dear Friends,
            It may be a, "Cute Little Beggar," but those words may well be changed to, "I sure do miss my right hand!"  The mention of Bullseye Powder in connection with ANY Black Powder Gun, fills my heart with grave misgivings!  Bullseye is a VERY fast burning powder!  if such a "Cute Little Beggar," "Let Go!" The chances are high that a surgeon would be extracting little pieces of stainless steel from your hand, and the chances of your ever regaining the full use of the hand would be in God's Will!  I wouldn't want an open can of Bullseye in the same room with a Black  Powder Gun!  JUst in case, you understand!
                                                                                                        Johnnie Roper,Alias;Gunslinger,9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline YosemiteSam

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 02:27:25 PM »
Dear Friends,
            It may be a, "Cute Little Beggar," but those words may well be changed to, "I sure do miss my right hand!"  The mention of Bullseye Powder in connection with ANY Black Powder Gun, fills my heart with grave misgivings!  Bullseye is a VERY fast burning powder!  if such a "Cute Little Beggar," "Let Go!" The chances are high that a surgeon would be extracting little pieces of stainless steel from your hand, and the chances of your ever regaining the full use of the hand would be in God's Will!  I wouldn't want an open can of Bullseye in the same room with a Black  Powder Gun!  JUst in case, you understand!
                                                                                                        Johnnie Roper,Alias;Gunslinger,9378.
It's a touchy subject, while I would never even consider it in my percussion cylinder for the Remington, my understanding is that dick casull designed this gun under "freedom arms" with a specially designed cylinder as to disallow compression of the powder, and utilizing a completely different flame front as the ignition propels the bullet. I have a copy of freedom arms manual which recommends bullseye or ffffh.  The NAA manual is almost a direct verbatim except the bullseye part.  Intelligent speculation implies this was done as a legal workaround to reclassification as a firearm.  Out very own busyhands94 Still had 2 hands last I checked...  I'm still on the fence, even understanding the physics involved

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 10:19:59 PM »
i grind 3f into something much finer, its almost like talc when i'm done, i use an extremely advanced and super dooper ultra top secret pencil-rolled-over-powder-on-cutting-board method to grind my powder, on the extremely high tech ballistics testing i do using super advanced ballistic phone books, the super companion's penetration is similar to hi velocity .22 lr, i.e. remington golden bullet, coming out of a .22 jennings... about half way through.

would it be my "go to gun" if i had other options? not a chance in hell, if my only option was .22 super companion or sharp stick, i'll take the .22 for the added 5 to 6 feet of range over the stick.

now using the same hi tech advanced ballistic phone book test with super comp vrs a .25acp raven, i'll take the .22 super comp, it has nearly double the penetration in the advanced ballistic phone book  /L&
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!