Photobucket

Author Topic: Hi-level purpose-built target pistols  (Read 2966 times)

Offline WesJames

Hi-level purpose-built target pistols
« on: February 28, 2014, 03:56:26 PM »
New member here, was browsing the forum and found Frizzen's post some time back about single-shot purpose-built target pistols, and would be interested in obtaining something like this.... can anyone point me in the right direction? Would love to have a good wood-gripped single-shot target pistol with a very good barrel, Bomar sights (Loved these when I shot competitively in the early '70's!), etc.
Thanks for any input/advice!
Wes
Wes
Too many years in/working for the USN... 48 & counting...

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: Hi-level purpose-built target pistols
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 06:21:23 PM »
Hi Wes, look on www.gunbroker.com
I see some on there.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 10:16:08 PM »
Check with Frizzen. He hangs out with that crowd and probably can steer you in the right direction.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 09:59:51 AM »
New member here, was browsing the forum and found Frizzen's post some time back about single-shot purpose-built target pistols, and would be interested in obtaining something like this.... can anyone point me in the right direction? Would love to have a good wood-gripped single-shot target pistol with a very good barrel, Bomar sights (Loved these when I shot competitively in the early '70's!), etc.
Thanks for any input/advice!
Wes

Hi Wes, have you considered the double set trigger Traditions Trapper, see:
http://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/trapperpistol-muzzleloader.aspx

There is also a flintlock version. Both are very accurate and will put bullets in the same hole at 25yds if you do your part. They are 50 caliber, but I use mine with sabots shooting 200gr .45 bullets. Many years ago I owned a Thompson Center Patriot single shot .45 that I thought was the most accurate pistol I ever owned, but these Trappers do even better than the Patriot. A little stock work and sight change out of the Trapper would produce a very accurate single shot pistol.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline WesJames

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 12:26:25 PM »
Thanks for the info, Richard- funny how much it looks like a Patriot! If its any better than the Patriot, it would seem it could only be in the quality of the barrel....
Wes
Wes

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 02:19:10 PM »
Thanks for the info, Richard- funny how much it looks like a Patriot! If its any better than the Patriot, it would seem it could only be in the quality of the barrel....
Wes

Hi Wes, when I lived in Indiana and would go to the range shooting my Patriot, the modern shooting crowd just couldn't believe the accuracy of that BP pistol. The Trapper is a bit muzzle heavy, but it really puts bullets into the same hole at 25yds. If I didn't do it myself, I would think the person reporting such accuracy was blowing smoke.

I think that the Trapper is a super platform candidate to make an outstanding competitive muzzleloading pistol.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Omnivore

• Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 02:40:15 PM »
Pedersoli makes a number of muzzleloaging single-shot target pistols. Track of the Wolf sells custom-builts/hand-builts now and then-- Go to "Firearms" then "Pistols and revolvers".  There are several single-shots up right now.

Offline WesJames

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 07:28:07 AM »
Well, I found what I was looking for.... (of course, this is probably only #1 of-????  ;) )
I found a new-in-the-box .45 cal T/C Patriot- for only $275.... which only whetted my appetite further- and started researching underhammer target pistols. Used to be a Hopkins & Allen underhammer on the market years ago- now there are some more esoteric very-accurate versions made in Europe- for very big bucks! Plus, finding anyone of these mfrs who will ship to the USA is near impossible.
Anyway, long story short- I located an airgun dealer here in the states that deals in FWB's- the cadillac of match pistols (and rifles, too).... FWB makes a B/P underhammer match pistol, beautifully executed with a superb trigger- the FWB No. 1. He had one in stock- it'll be here today!! 3 new black powder guns (the other- a new-in-box Euroarms Rogers & Spencer) delivered in one week.... woo hoo!!!  8)
Spent my toy allowance fer' the next year!
Wes
Wes

Offline Frizzen

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 03:48:34 AM »
Here are some.

10 shots at 25 yds

My "High Level" Flintlock and 25 yd 10 shots.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 03:55:01 AM by Frizzen »

Offline WesJames

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 06:59:19 AM »
Amazing and beautiful collection, Frizzen- too bad those aren't available today. I just located/obtained an FWD Holiday No. 1 underhammer... in .36 caliber- very happy to have been able to get it. With that- and my T/C Patriot, my B/P single shot collection begins!
Wes

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 09:23:36 AM »
Sounds like you are on your way to some great scores....what with a growing collection of accurate pistols!

Offline Frizzen

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 10:03:05 AM »
These are currently made today.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 10:07:21 AM by Frizzen »

Offline WesJames

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 12:36:02 PM »
Anyone know how to contact the Yazel's- or anyone who sells them? I would love to be able to get to the Muzzle Loader's Nat's, but that's not gonna happen this year, as I'm getting my house ready to sell and move from Florida to Maine/retire. Seems/sounds to me like the Nat's are about the only place one can get one of these awesome single shot target pistols... not just the Yazel's, any of them... I could be interested in any one of several of these.
Wes
Wes

Offline Frizzen

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 09:38:33 PM »
I go to the Nationals each year. Been going for 25 years. I have all of these makers phone
numbers. They all are friends of mine. The Lightning is made here in Missouri by Tim Brazzel.
He lives around Jefferson City. I see him about four times a year. You can get interchangeable
barrels for it. The most popular caliber is 32. I will see Yazel in June, I don't really know if he is
making any this year.  He is 86. The one with my wife's name on it is made by John Mouzon. He
lives in South Carolnia. Mine is made by Rob Lewis from Ohio. Both the cap and the Flint. Most of these run about 475-700 dollars. They are top of the line and capable of wonderful accuracy. All
have match grade barrels. Mine were made by Ed Rayl. 32 is the most used caliber at the Nationals. My wife has won it 9 years now. She is the one to beat. A most talented 50 yd slow fire
shooter. She even won the 100 yd match a few years back. Shot a 78X on the NRA standerd 25 yd
target. This at 100 yds. She's out of my league.

Best 7 shots in a row I have ever seen at 50 yds. This is one hand un-supported 

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 09:52:34 PM by Frizzen »