Author Topic: Gold-Plated 9-shot LeMat  (Read 3236 times)

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
Gold-Plated 9-shot LeMat
« on: February 20, 2014, 01:35:16 PM »
LeMat pistol MUSEUM OF THE CONFEDERACY TRIBUTE REVOLVER

Taken from an ArmsList posting:
This gun is available new for $2495 +taxes plus I have the $350 display case that goes with it! ALL new in the boxes!!!
This collector will only go up in value! Absolutely beautiful firing gun.
This is UNFIRED AND THE CYLINDER NEVER TURNED!

The LeMat's unique nine-shot cylinder holds the portraits of three of the Confederacy's favorite sons.

Right side features revered Confederate General Robert E. Lee, and the left side features the gallant Cavalry Major General J.E.B. Stuart.

Both are surrounded by flowing scrollwork and crossed rifles of the Confederate Infantry. Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America, is featured on top of the cylinder.

The frame of the Tribute is adorned on both sides with a Confederate flag displayed within a field of scrollwork. The "CS", or Confederate States, belt buckle is featured on the breech of the barrel. The official seal of the Museum of the Confederacy is also featured on the smoothbore shotgun barrel, surrounded by matching scrollwork.

All said and done, it is safe to presume this is a replica, not a genuine Civil War Antique.
Not sure who the actual manufacture is, .41 caliber / 20 gauge.

I disregard the conflicting claims that it is a "beautiful firing gun" that is "UNFIRED AND THE CYLINDER NEVER TURNED!"

Presumably the seller is willing to take a bath at 50% off?  Maybe the price new is triple the market value (as a contribution to the museum)?  Sort of like buying commemorative plates.  In June of 2012, he was not able to sell it at $1,500 (reduced from a higher price).  18 months later, he's back, now asking $1,350.

In Aug 2013, proxibid sold one of these for $650.
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=3176&aid=69796&lid=17315359

Somebody inquired on this forum what a LeMat was "worth".  Well, we now know that gold-plated replicas won't sell for $1,500, but will sell for $650.

Currently there is a "regular" Pietta Navy LeMat (9 shot, blued) asking price is $775 on ArmsList.
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=3176&aid=69796&lid=17315359

Here is the link for the museum gold version retail information:
http://www.americaremembers.com/product/the-museum-of-the-confederacy-tribute-revolver/

I'm just posting because it is pretty.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:58:07 PM by Classanr »
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Lizardo

Re: Gold-Plated 9-shot LeMat
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 08:26:29 PM »
Yep, pretty, but, wouldn't have it. I go for the plain, vanilla models.
Weebles wobble but they won't fall down...

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 09:38:25 PM »
Pleased to have seen it just so as to have done so.  Gawdawful gaudy though.  I’ll have vanilla too.

Reminds me of a lyric from (Rickie Lee Jones) Flying Cowboys:

“All jacked up like a Cadillac, painted by a rodeo girl.”
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:50:31 PM by G Dog »
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 01:11:34 AM »
Yep, pretty, but, wouldn't have it. I go for the plain, vanilla models.

+ 1 plain vanilla for me.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »
If I was rich, I would buy it.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 01:34:54 AM »
If I was rich, I would buy it.  ;)

This coming from a guy that just got a nice SAA colt revolver. }),
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 02:29:34 PM »
But Dellbert...I'm a greedy person.  (?^
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 03:08:40 PM »
Dear Friends,
            That Le Mat is ONE revolver I would put in a glass case, and display on a wall! IF Someone GAVE ME ONE!  I'm all with G-Dog,, Lizardo & Delbert!  I like workmanlike Blued Steel guns, you can shoot the Crap out of, clean 'em up, and restore them to Cleanliness & Beauty!
            Mike Cumpston & Johnny Bates shot and tested a Le Mat and published their findings in their book. They detailed quite a few minor shortcomings with the weapon, and it struck me that for it to be made reliable, an Owner would have to attend to certain little Modifications, in order to obtain self-Defense type reliability. The loading lever tends to bouce upwards when the pistol is fired, and one user had an 11 O'Clock chainfire, which blew the loading lever assembly clean off the gun. The loading ramrod for the Shot Barrel under certaain circumstances can get lost, by shot vibraton throwing it out of it's housing!  The cylinder is shorter than our cherished Remington's, and the top loading would seem to be about 30 grains.The ramrod does not go far enough into the front of the chambers, for a light load, so Cream of Wheat would have to be on one's shopping list if you bought one!
            It woud seem to be a rather un-reliable sort of gun, and the fact that certain Confederate Generals, carried this sidearm right up until their death, makes me wonder if the Originals were made with more care than the reproductions?  It is a rather complicated machine, and the authors commented on the difficulty of getting the shot barrel to fire with any regularity.  All in all, a wall ornament would seem to be the best use for this particular machine!  I do suspect that a very skilled gunsmith, who was a Percussion revolver enthusiast, could be able to "Tune," one of these guns. I strongly suspect that this might be quite expensive, before the reliability that is readily obtainable with our Remington's, was achieved!
                                                                                     Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.

Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 09:38:11 PM »
"carried them up until their death"....rather foreboding wording there, Johnny. You could take that a number of ways.
Personally, I think it looks like a gawdy whorehouse painting. Give me blued steel and walnut any day of the week.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 10:11:03 PM »
Johnnie has agreed to give it “house room” (if it were a gift) and didn’t even “thrice accurse” it.  That’s nearly high praise.

Mike Beliveau says somewhere that many of the originals are missing loading leavers,  which seems to be one of the week points on these.

http://gunsoftheoldwest.com/2014/11/black-powder-lemat-navy-4420-gauge/
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.