Author Topic: Remington New Model Police .36 for Sale  (Read 2464 times)

Offline BP Joe

Remington New Model Police .36 for Sale
« on: January 24, 2014, 01:12:58 PM »
Howdy all,

I was reading a post a few days ago where someone was looking to purchase one of these little goodies and I was fishing around the Cabela's Gun Room site and noticed that they have a Remington New Model Police .36 Percussion Revolver up for sale at a decent price (well at least I think it is a decent price).

The only drawback to it is the keeper for the loading lever is missing.

I would pick it up, because it seems to be a nicely, somewhat restored pistol, but I have my eye on a reproduction 1861 Springfield Rifle and am savin my dineros.

BP Joe ])M

Offline BGRooster1

• Forum Legend
Re: Remington New Model Police .36 for Sale
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 12:10:24 PM »
I checked it out. When I first clicked on it  {:( I thought it was mine.  (?^ Who stole my pistol ? It is almost a match . The color of the frame is a little lighter copper colored than mine. Mine has the keeper for the loading lever but could use a spring for it.

I agree on the price, even though I paid less for mine. I almost feel like I stole it. They are hard to find in percussion . Even harder to find in percussion that are shooter grade or under $1000 if a bit better.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:16:18 PM by BGRooster1 »
Maj.Bull S. Hitter on the CAS forum

Better to ask forgiveness.Than to beg permission

Cap & Ball revolvers are like Lay's potato chips , you can't have just one!!

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 09:07:19 AM »
Nope! Let some other dude buy it. Not buying broke anything now.  &j(
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline BP Joe

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 10:15:11 PM »
Hello all,

I hear ya Dellbert, but I'm the hopeless type who likes to take things apart, and fixum if needed. I look at it as learning how to do something I have never done before, or seeing what makes it tick. It started along time ago when I took my great grandfathers antique ships clock apart when I was about ten. My mother was not too pleased when she found out how much it cost to put it back together. Not sure how to go about replacing a loading hammer keeper though. This would be a challenge, and not to mention finding one that fits.

BP Joe  ])M

Offline BP Joe

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 10:19:51 PM »
Hello BGRooster1,

Must be nice to have one of these in your collection. I was half tempted to get it, but am holdin back. Not easy though!

Being that I have not had the fun of shooting my own New Army 44 just yet, I was still wondering how these shoot. What's your experience with this little jewel?

BP Joe  ])M

Offline BGRooster1

• Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »
 I been wondering how it shoots too.  (?^ I have a few that I have yet to shoot. I am a person that likes to have everything just right before shooting a new to me gun. I don't just load up and shoot.
Maj.Bull S. Hitter on the CAS forum

Better to ask forgiveness.Than to beg permission

Cap & Ball revolvers are like Lay's potato chips , you can't have just one!!

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 02:06:46 PM »
Hey guys, you know the rule.....if there are no pictures, it never happened. Hmmmm, a gun in the Cabela's Gun Room at a decent price? Almost sounds like an oxy-moron!  ->i

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 11:32:42 PM »
Dear Friends, (And especially, BP Joe.)
            Now Unlike BG Rooster, as soon as I get summat new, I have to load her up, and head for the desert!  I have three of the 5.5" barreled Remington's, and I think they are excellent.  Straight from Cabela's they functioned very well.  One, my second gun, I had to put the barrel in a vice, and stick a Two by Four through the frame, to get the front sight dead upright. After that, she shot a lot better!  The size is just right for me, and I have no problem carrying one concealed, and I am a little Old Guy! 5'-7" and 165lbs. Starkers on the bathroom scales!  I carry one or the other of them for self defense purposes, and have developed a load that gets over 900 fps. from this short barreled gun. I reckon anyone hit fair and square 'tween Wind and Water with that load, would most likely be needing the services of the Medical Examiner! {?|
            My tires on the car are in need of replacing, and so I do not drive it on the freeways at present.  But I can get down to my favorite spot, just south of Lewis Prison, on the Road to Gila Bend, on secondary roads.  There's always the chance of a jailbreak, and if the sirens go off, the possibility of striped moving targets to aim at!  "Oh Well!" Probably never happen!
                                                                                                        Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline BP Joe

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 10:47:13 PM »
Howdy Gunslinger,

I would definitely be up to what you said if I had as much knowledge as you do. Bein a newbie, I'm playin the cautious route. Not a day goes by where I do not go down to the basement and just practice going through the paces of loading, hand grip and aiming. If I could set up a range in my basement, Ide have fired 100s of balls by now. I know this may sound strange, and the weather has been fare during the day here in Colorado, but my free time is not so free, and when I have a little free time, it's fixin the Jeep. Things goin on 300,000 and Ive got leaks and squeaks everywhere. Had to put tires on it too and that was not cheap. Could have bought two new Remingtons instead! Now that I think of it, I should have, heck with the tires. Ive got to get my priorities straight.

Three, If I remember right they have names....would these three be Betsina, Clementina, and Sophia? I hope to be working on the same numbers someday. Although I'm savin for a 1861 Springfield, I have noticed that Cabela's has a few New Army's that are engraved. I hope they will get one of these in the showcase, because Ide like to see the craftsmanship firsthand.

So, take care and have fun with those three. I bet theyre a blast.

BP Joe  ])M

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 01:33:57 PM »
Dear BPJoe,
            I am a very practical person!  I have great faith in Pietta's to produce a fine weapon, There will be little things that slip by the board,
but nothing Major.  I admit to exaggerating a little about Clementina's sights.  I DID put the barrel in a vice, but doubt if a two by four would go through the hole where the cylinder normally resides!  I actually used a hammer handle, and just screwed that barrel in just a hair, and once it was upright, I found I was on as far as windage was concerned!  Betsina was right on the money from the start, and after working on her to get a really good trigger, I have put the icing on the cake, by eliminating the trigger's Overtravel!  That means that you stop the trigger moving as soon as it has released the hammer.  Remington's do have quite a bit of Overtravel, and this does NOT contribute to accuracy. For when the trigger is released, the finger continues to move, and since the moment of release on a good trigger is always unexpected, this can contribute to movement in the whole gun, which in turn leads to lousy groups. I have Betsina's trigger so adjusted now, that I do not feel the trigger move when I release the hammer!  Have not shot it for real since I completed that work, but hope to in the very near future!
            I was prowling through YouTube last night, and came across some, "Instructions," from some guy named Hovey Smith!  He has apparently written some minor books, including one entitled, "Backyard Hunting!" He was doing a series of video's, all about how to load and shoot Black Powder Revolvers!  You will never find this guy on a Golf Course........For he doesn't know his backside from a hole in the ground!
He had three revolvers; One was a black powder version of the Colt Single Action of 1873, Looked just like a Peacemaker, but it was a Front Stuffer.  I have seen these advertised in Dixie's Gun Catalog, but have never handled one! This "Expert," (Chortle!!) said they are made by Traditions. I have no idea if this is correct.  The second gun was a stainless Steel Buffalo gun. (A Remmie with a 12" barrel.) so we all know that it was of good quality.  Third was a stainless steel Ruger Old Army, (And there's noting wrong with them, that's for sure.)  This joker managed to screw things up like there was no tomorrow! He was obviously using too small a size of balls. He got chainfires on the RUGER!  I
have never heard of such a thing!  Then the Ruger jammed up!  The recoil had caused one of the remaining balls in the cylinder to move forward, so that he couldn't cock the gun, as the protruding ball was preventing the cylinder from rotating!  He pushed the ball back into the chamber with the tip of one of his fingers, and carried on shooting!  That boy needs HELP! He has a web site (Yes, Really!) and you can visit it at www.hoveysmith.com.  Don't expect a laugh! It's enough to make a grown man cry!  You could put what he knows about Percussion Revolvers, into a Barcelona nutshell, and not have to remove the kernal!
            There was a space provided for comments from people who visited his web site, so I did!  I deliberatly refrained from being rude, told him that he had not used the correct size of balls for the Ruger revolver, and also told him that I would be wiling to help him to not screw up future programs on Black Powder Shooting, (I put this more nicely than I have here!) and so far have not had a reply!  I don't really expect one! People who are self important, and who set themselves up as experts, hate to have to admit when they have goofed up through ignorance!  If the man DOES reply to me, I will publish his remarks here, VERBATIM!  Still if you want a bloody good Belly Laugh, go to YouTube, and in the browser that appears near the top of the screen, write in, "Video's about Black Powder revolver shooting!" then look for ones by Hovey Smith!  There will be excellent video's by more responsible people, such as our own Dueliat1954, the respected Black Powder
Editor of, "Guns Of The Old West Magazine!" But DO watch a couple by Hovey Smith!  Have a Bloody Good Laugh!
            Well, that's the latest from this part of Arizona! The weather here is very pleasant, about seventy degrees, with a light breeze!  It is supposed to rain heavily on Saturday, the day Ana and I were going to have a good laugh at the antics of SASS at Ben Avery Range!  However
it is not much fun squelching through mud, under the shelter of an umbrella, so we have decided to go there on Friday!  Electric Miner mentioned on here that he was going to visit the SASS show on Saturday, March the 1st. and I was looking forward to perhaps meeting him there.  I sent him a PM about the weather forecast, and am just hoping that he has a laptop with him on his journey, and that he too will be able to visit there on the Friday instead!  So far I have only met ONE other Member of this forum in Person!  Texian, who visited us when Ana and I were living in Glendale.  Texian has not been at all well since shortly after he returned to Colorado!  He didn't go into details of what was wrong with him, and I didn't want to be pushy and probe him. Perhaps some of you could remember him in your Prayers?
                                                                                                        Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
PS: The attachment is my MEAN CAT, Squeaky!
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline BP Joe

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 10:18:50 PM »
Hello Gunslinger,
Thanks for the heads up on Hovey. At the beginning of my research, and prior to purchasing my Remington New Army 44, I was watching a few Utube videos that gave me more questions than answers. After I had purchased, I read the little brochure that came with my New Army and some of what I remember seeing in the videos was contradictory. After that I just surfed the web for any and all info I could find, and finally ended up hear on the forum. Now I look to this forum exclusively for learning, and some really good stories too.

Hopefully when I get to the range this Spring I will bring my digital camera along, for I plan to document my experience with pictures, and post videos of my first experience with my Remington New Army 44 (apart from when I went with my dad - aloooooong time ago). This way I can show you guys what I'm doing and get some feedback on how to refine things.

As I have been practicing my grip, It appears that the sight on my New Army is pretty squared up. I'll definitely find out at the range.

Weather around here, in South Denver, is agreeable during the day (40s ish), but still pretty cold at night (down in the low 20s and sometimes teens).

Cats, don't talk to me about cats!!!!! _l When ones not getting into everything and makin a mess, the other one is howlin all the time, and she aint a light howler. Ive been waiting for the neighbors to call the cops she's so loud! Can't blame her though because she's goin on 19, somewhat deaf and I think I see the onset of cataracts too. But we love em.

Anyway, you take it easy. Nice chatin with ya on the forum.

BP Joe  ])M